Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum [#permalink]
please share some more affordable brands of laptops
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
was looking around at the darden portal and realized that they "strongly urge" you to buy their own laptop bundle. it's got all the software preinstalled, and runs windows corporate ed.

per website, you could use an existing laptop BUT you'd have to have it configured by an accredited 3rd party technician, at a cost of ~ 400US$, including software and technical support.

moreover, if your laptop dies on you over the course of the program, you can have a loaner laptop from them if you buy their package, but this option is not available to you if you use your own laptop.

sounds to me like they're making a pretty compelling case about buying their laptop vs. other brands.

best check your school's requirements before going out and buying yourself a laptop. might save you a lot of grief.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
pochcc wrote:
per website, you could use an existing laptop BUT you'd have to have it configured by an accredited 3rd party technician, at a cost of ~ 400US$, including software and technical support.

moreover, if your laptop dies on you over the course of the program, you can have a loaner laptop from them if you buy their package, but this option is not available to you if you use your own laptop.

sounds to me like they're making a pretty compelling case about buying their laptop vs. other brands.

OMG. Do you buy extended warranties?

I am sure you can argue to not have to do the $400 thing - it is absurd and effectively holding you hostage for something unnecessary. 2010 - business school student needs help organizing computer. I am sure GMAT club would not endorse my approach so I won't post it. It involves notes and palms.

As for the tech support - unless you are a muppet, you are unlikely to bust a laptop in two years. If you do, tech wise, they are like any IT function. If you don't break hardware, you are done, and if you break the screen they tell you it breaches the warranty.

That said, nothing wrong with getting used to writing checks above and beyond tuition to your future alma mater.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
I am one of those guys who seem not to appreciate the IBM thinkpad design too much. (x200) and I prefer something at 13" screen. Are there any other laptops gmat clubbers vote for? And is there any store that carries x200 IBM so that I can look at it before buying.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
spideyeclipse27 wrote:
I am one of those guys who seem not to appreciate the IBM thinkpad design too much. (x200) and I prefer something at 13" screen. Are there any other laptops gmat clubbers vote for? And is there any store that carries x200 IBM so that I can look at it before buying.

i posted a couple of potential laptops a few pages back: the-great-laptop-discussion-forum-61513-540.html#p673370

i'm in your camp - i hate the thinkpad design... probably will be looking elsewhere
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thanks Shadow. Let me have a look.

shadowsjc wrote:
spideyeclipse27 wrote:

i posted a couple of potential laptops a few pages back: the-great-laptop-discussion-forum-61513-540.html#p673370

i'm in your camp - i hate the thinkpad design... probably will be looking elsewhere
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Cornell recommends at least 1.6 GHz processor and X200 seems to be the only laptop that meets that requirement and provides 10+ hrs of battery life. No wonder it is the GMATclub fav. Did anyone find another similar brand/series?

BTW, if you are planning to get X200, wait till March as they are getting X201 out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
can we start a new thread for this topic just for 2010 convo? i think this thread should be restarted every year since technology and prices change so dramatically, it would also help to keep suggestions organized on the first page. we could keep a running list of laptops by price, processing power, etc.

just thoughts as i am having a hard time sifting through all 30 pages
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
can we start a new thread for this topic just for 2010 convo? i think this thread should be restarted every year since technology and prices change so dramatically, it would also help to keep suggestions organized on the first page. we could keep a running list of laptops by price, processing power, etc.

just thoughts as i am having a hard time sifting through all 30 pages

Agreed. Someone should start a new thread. im thinking about it. Although I don't like asus or gateway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Yes It is a good laptop for you and It is needed to check its touchpad while you are buying this product because of few user face a problem hp touchpad not working
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30