Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 18:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing


Please share the explanations!!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1580
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 21:42
close tie between C and E. E is better as it eliminates the use of "which". "which" is confusing as it may refer to "the growth" or "the local times".

I will go with E.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 01:07
Between C and E. C is wordy. Second, i have doubts about "were" because i don't think that we need the past here. Local times still are determined in the same way. In A and B "was" is wrong, and in D "differed" is not ok. I chose E
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 01:18
vbalex wrote:
Between C and E. C is wordy. Second, i have doubts about "were" because i don't think that we need the past here. Local times still are determined in the same way. In A and B "was" is wrong, and in D "differed" is not ok. I chose E

Can u explain y D is out whats wrong with differed
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1580
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 01:28
differred or differring is for "local times". Local times should be progressive and hence differing is appropriate.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 18:38
scthakur wrote:
differred or differring is for "local times". Local times should be progressive and hence differing is appropriate.


Progressive means?
Again i believe in modifiers we generally used -ing forms and passive modifiers generally use past tense
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 18:27
scthakur wrote:
progressive = progressive tense.


Consider the statement,here selected (In passive ) is past participle tence and running ( for active modifier ,continuous or progressive).

The student ,selected by the committee and running in the marathon,is one of the best candidates .

Now im clear !! thanks for the suggestions!!!
if any information on above kindly share !!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 452
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-railroads [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 21:47
spriya wrote:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing


Please share the explanations!!!


A, B and C are out because which can refer to growth or local times

IMO E) ... parallel.

local times differed does not make sense
Re: SC-railroads   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2008, 21:47
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local Arsene_Wenger 11 20 Jul 2005, 05:20
11 The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local HongHu 17 30 Jan 2005, 19:26
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local nzgmat 1 01 Dec 2004, 14:53
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local brahaman 5 14 Oct 2004, 10:13
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local Antmavel 1 17 Sep 2004, 20:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.