Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 482 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Send PM
Re: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shailendrasharma wrote:
Quote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

Is OA - D ?

Meaning Analysis
"Language variations...isolation" defines "regional dialects" -- so it should be proper noun phrase

Error
"Language variations which originate" - two errors
* Major error - present tense "originate" makes it a general fact that language variations always originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.
* Minor error - which is non essential modifier, so it is preferable as "comma which"

Choice Analysis
A) As above
B) This is interesting choice - but "that" clause means - now we are talking about a very specific language variations that originated from X and perpetuated by Y - and we are not talking about all language variations. It might mean there might be other type of language variations.
C) Makes "language variations originated" as a complete clause - but creates IC error.
D) Fixes all errors.
E) "language variations perpetuating by X" is wrong - it shall be "perpetuated by"

If there is contention in the answer choices, it will be between B and D.

Please correct me.

Hi Shailendra,

You have arrived at the correct answer choice. But I'm afraid, the reasons you have given to eliminate choices A and B are not convincing.
Let's wait for a few more analyses. Then I will post the detailed solution with solid reasons to eliminate choice A and B along with other two.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question is about parallelism and modifier.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
Wrong.
- Parallelism problem. "which was ...." is a clause --> not parallel to "differing" which is Verb-ing modifier.
- "was" is wrong because "local times" is plural.

(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
Wrong. Simple past tense "differed" is not correct. Because "local times" always differ from city to city.

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
Wrong. Same as A. Clause and Verb-ing modifier are not parallel.

(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed
Wrong. Verb-ed "differed" is not correct because local times themselves differ from city to city. --> should use Verb-ing modifier.

(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
Correct. "determined by" and "differing" are modifiers and are parallel. Hence, E is correct.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
I'm having a difficult time understanding why we need to use "differing" instead of "differed". My gut tells me that it needs to be differed to stay parallel but all other sources says differed. Could you elaborate? Is it because it still presently differs even though the times were abolished?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
BassanioGratiano wrote:
I'm having a difficult time understanding why we need to use "differing" instead of "differed". My gut tells me that it needs to be differed to stay parallel but all other sources says differed. Could you elaborate? Is it because it still presently differs even though the times were abolished?

With D, the sentence would be:

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Believe it or not, determined and differed are not parallel! determined is used as (what is called) past participle, while differed is a simple past tense verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses a simple 2-step framework of how to differentiate between participles and verbs, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail you the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In D, ‘differed from’ is not a past participle; It is simply a past tense verb.

To find out whether an ‘Verb+ed’ word is past participle or past tense, use this thumb rule: Ask who is the agent of the “determined by”; the word ‘by’ indicates that the local times were determined by somebody other than the local times. However, note that the word ‘differed’ is not followed ‘by’ but by ‘from’. The agent of doing ‘differed’ is the local times. They themselves did the act of differing. So differed is a direct verb of the subject local times.
One can see that ‘determined by’ is phrase while (local times) differed from is a clause. So, both of them put in the same sentence cannot be parallel after conjunction ‘and’
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
Jabrah

Can you please explain, how (Differed) here is verb and not a Verb-ed modifier.
what is noun entity and how you calculated it to verb

What's wrong with the below sentence.
The growth of the rail roads led to the abolition of local times, differed from city to city. Here differed is modifying time , so does the determined
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks for your question mbaprep2016

Do you how to distinguish between a verb in the past tense and a past participle?

Here is a quick answer by GMAT guru, Ron:

"Past-tense verbs and participles have meanings that are essentially complete opposites -- the former suggests that the noun actually does the action, while the latter suggests an action done to the noun -- so, if you can't reliably tell them apart, then you must not be thinking much (if at all) about the meaning of the words.

for instance:
robots made (= verb) today's breakfast --> this is something that the robots did.
millions of robots made (= participle) in korea are shipped to the u.s. each year --> this is something done to the robots."

If it's not clear let's continue our discussion :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times,which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A)which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B)which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C)which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D)determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E)determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

A very good question to test modifiers.
My take on the question:

Clause 1: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times
Subject: Growth
Verb: led
Clause 2: which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city
Subject: which (refers to times—Plural)
Verb: was (singular) Incorrect
What was confusing here is the use of ‘differing from city to city’
After reading the explanations, it was clear that it referred to the ‘times’.

Can we use ‘which differed from city to city’ in the above context?
If anyone could answer this.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times,which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A)which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B)which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C)which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D)determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E)determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

A very good question to test modifiers.
My take on the question:

Clause 1: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times
Subject: Growth
Verb: led
Clause 2: which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city
Subject: which (refers to times—Plural)
Verb: was (singular) Incorrect
What was confusing here is the use of ‘differing from city to city’
After reading the explanations, it was clear that it referred to the ‘times’.

Can we use ‘which differed from city to city’ in the above context?
If anyone could answer this.

In correct Option E, two participial phrases are joined by "and":
1. "determined ....": past participle
2. "differing...": present participle
Both these participle modifiers refer to "times".

If the second item were "which differed...", then a parallelism error would arise - past participle would then be parallel with a relative clause - such usage is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hello,

Can anyone please explain. Why is the usage of "which" incorrect in this sentence? I have this doubt from quite some time now, when to use which while defining a preceding clause and when not to. Can someone please explain the differences.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
K K
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Finance
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I have 2 concerns regarding option E: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

1. The presence of the comma after local times.

The sentence can be broken into 2 as follows:

a. The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian, and to the establishment of regional times. - This is ok.

b. The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times. - The usage of comma + present participle modifies the entire clause as per MGMAT SC. This changes the intended meaning.

I feel the comma must be removed for this sentence to be correct.

2. The usage of present participle.

The sentence begins with "The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times" to state that the local times have been abolished whereas "differing from city to city" implies that the local times are differing in the present. The sentence seems to illogically suggest that the abolished (past) local times are differing from city to city (present).

Experts, please let me know if there are any errors in my reasoning?

Thanking you in advance.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
reachskishore wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone please explain. Why is the usage of "which" incorrect in this sentence? I have this doubt from quite some time now, when to use which while defining a preceding clause and when not to. Can someone please explain the differences.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
K K

Hello reachskishore,

I do understand that you posted this query some time back. Nonetheless, I would like to present an answer to your question.

The word which is a noun modifier. It is NOT a clause modifier because technically, which is a type of pronoun that can only refer to nouns and pronouns.

In general, which, or for that matter an noun modifier, modifies the noun entity that immediately precedes it. However, at times, which, or other noun modifiers, can refer to a slightly far away noun if the context of the sentence demands so.

We have a very detailed article that deals with when a noun modifier can modify a slightly far away noun. The article can be reviewed in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Send PM