Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sam9312 wrote:
GMATNinja and other experts
Can you please guide me here...

Comma + Verb-ed modifier modifies the immediately preceding noun or the whole clause?

I have a lot of confusion regarding that.

Also, Differing will modify local times? How? Verb-ing should modify the whole clause, right?

Posted from my mobile device

Consider this example, taken from our article about why that “-ing” word probably isn’t a verb:

"The angry politician, frustrated by the opposition’s parliamentary tactics and screaming about the other parties’ unconstitutional behavior, is both a hypocrite and a narcissist." - Both "frustrated" (an -ed modifier) and "screaming" (an -ing modifier) are adjectives that modify "politician" (a noun).

You'll certainly find examples where -ed/-ing modifiers modify an entire clause. But they can also act like adjectives and modify nouns. That makes them more flexible than, say, noun modifiers (which, who, where, etc.).

In this question, both "determined" and "differing" are adjectives that modify "local times".

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Send PM
Re: The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which [#permalink]
GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo egmat daagh generis Abhi077 MikeScarn
Need your assistance on this one.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

which were
determined by X
and
differing from A to B (can’t we read like this? Aren’t these parallel?)

(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
determined … and differed … (can’t we read like this? Aren’t these parallel?)

(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
the growth of railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined … and differing …
(comma + [Verb-ed and Verb-ing])
I understand that comma + determined is modifying local times
How can comma + Verb-ing (differing) modifying local times. Comma + Verb-ing modify the whole clause <- Main Doubt
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
SAm, Your main doubt--- What is the previous clause you are referring to as modified by the comma plus verbing(, differing)? I hope you are not mistaking the main clause at the beginning of the sentence as the previous clause. The previous clause is the local times, which were determined by (This is not an IC but nevertheless a relative clause)

The other doubts --- Which were determined is a clause and differing is a phrase. Therefore both are not //.
Determined by is a participle( the V-3 form) and differed is an active voice verb( the V-2 verb) and hence are not parallel

Only a participle is parallel to another participle

HTH
Current Student
Send PM
daagh wrote:
SAm, Your main doubt--- What is the previous clause you are referring to as modified by the comma plus verbing(, differing)? I hope you are not mistaking the main clause at the beginning of the sentence as the previous clause. The previous clause is the local times, which were determined by (This is not an IC but nevertheless a relative clause)

The other doubts --- Which were determined is a clause and differing is a phrase. Therefore both are not //.
Determined by is a participle( the V-3 form) and differed is an active voice verb( the V-2 verb) and hence are not parallel

HTH

Thanks daagh

If that is the case, why is "the abolition of local times" not the clause? Why just "local times" ?
Yes, I am mistaking the whole part to be a clause...
Also, A clause should have a verb, right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
True. A clause, whether IC or DC or RC (relative clause) must have a subject and a verb. Please never forget this. If there is no subject also it is not a clause. Then it will just be a predicate. If there is no verb, then it will be a fragment.

abolition of times does fit in with differing. You see abolition cannot differ. It is only the local times that can vary according to the earth's revolution and rotation. But after the abolition of local times, we now have a uniform time zones. This the logic behind why 'differing' eventually and effectively modifies local times. This is as far as I could understand from your doubt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
daagh wrote:

HTH

Why "differing..." is a phrase ? Can we put in "which were " right before it?

Only participle to participle can be //.
:) Very interesting to know Why ?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Alex
1. Differing … is a phrase because there is no verb in it.
2. We can definitely put ‘ which were’ before differing, But what for?
3. Only a participle is parallel to another participle. Why? Because that is the way the rules of parallelism work. Whom can we question about it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
Dear GMATNinja

Could you explain what is wrong with (C)?

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

I think that (C) and (E) pretty much convey the same meaning, but (C) is a little bit wordier using "which + were" + determing // + differing. Am I right?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mizar18 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja

Could you explain what is wrong with (C)?

I think that (C) and (E) pretty much convey the same meaning, but (C) is a little bit wordier using "which + were" + determing // + differing. Am I right?

Thanks!

There's a subtle difference in meaning too. Take another look at (C):

"The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city."

Notice that "and" indicates a parallel construction. In this case, "differing" seems to be parallel to "determined." In a vacuum, that's fine -- they're both participles. But in this case, "determined" is part of a verb phrase, so the meaning we get is that the local times "were determined... and differing." The times "were differing?" That's an odd construction. Does that mean they're the same now? If that's the case, why not just write that they "were different?"

Now go back to (E):

"The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city."

The big difference is that the verb "were" has been omitted, leaving us with the parallel construction, "determined and differing," both participles functioning as adjectives describing the "times." This is better, as we no longer have to grapple with the peculiar meaning of the verb phrase "were differing."

Compared to (C), (E)'s parallel construction produces a clearer, more logical meaning -- in addition to being more concise -- so (E) is our winner.

I hope that helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hi Experts, daagh egmat VeritasKarishma

I have a car, which is red and old.

Here, "which is" is applicable to both a) red
b) old

Why cant option (C) be interpreted in a similar way. Please let me know why the following interpretation is invalid.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were a) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and b) differing from city to city,, and to the establishment of regional times.

So, local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian
and local times, which were differing from city to city,
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
coreyander wrote:
Hi Experts, daagh egmat VeritasKarishma

I have a car, which is red and old.

Here, "which is" is applicable to both a) red
b) old

Why cant option (C) be interpreted in a similar way. Please let me know why the following interpretation is invalid.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which were a) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and b) differing from city to city,, and to the establishment of regional times.

So, local times, which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian
and local times, which were differing from city to city,

"were determined" is a past tense verb in passive.
You will need to give the verb in case you put another clause after 'and'.

...which were determined .. and were different ...

Also "were differing" would mean we are using past continuous tense which makes no sense.

You need to ensure that both elements are in parallel. So "determined by ..." and "differing from ..." are modifiers for local times and are parallel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat

Quick Doubt in this.

Although I choose E, going by the meaning that "times differing" would be a continuous action (although differing is not a verb here, as it doesn't have any helping verb with it).

My doubt is, in D, leaving the meaning aside, how could we say that "differed from city to city" is a verb phrase rather than a modifier like "determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian".

Because in my initial analysis for "differing" and "differed" were acting like a modifier, I choose E just because of the meaning.

Please help in this part.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sid0791 wrote:
egmat

Quick Doubt in this.

Although I choose E, going by the meaning that "times differing" would be a continuous action (although differing is not a verb here, as it doesn't have any helping verb with it).

My doubt is, in D, leaving the meaning aside, how could we say that "differed from city to city" is a verb phrase rather than a modifier like "determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian".

Because in my initial analysis for "differing" and "differed" were acting like a modifier, I choose E just because of the meaning.

Please help in this part.

Hello sid0791,

Thank you for the query. :-)

The part "determined by..." and "differed..." talk about the noun "local times". Now, it is only logical to say that the local times differed from city to city. It was not the same in all the cities. However, the local times were determined by something else.

Hence, the word "differed" acts as the simple past tense verb while the word "determined" acts as the verb-ed modifier.

Please read our following article to learn how to distinguish between the simple past tense verb and the verb-ed modifier:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-ver ... 34691.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed

Hi AndrewN sir

There is lot of discussion above w.r.t. parallelism between determined vs differing /differed. I am confused with these below points:

Reasons for choosing E over D:
1. determined by vs differing/differed from
differed is not parallel to determined by because determined by - passive and differed from -active?- is it?
2. differed from vs differing from - are these both modifiers? why in some posts, it is mentioned "differed" is past verb but not verb-ed modifier. is it?
3. E wins over D because of meaning issue. Differing makes sense over differed from .is it?

In which above numbers reasoning is wrong? Please suggest.
I am little confused with lot of different explanations in above posts.

Please suggest AndrewN sir
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos