Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 14:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treas [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2004, 02:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have even a greater significance for the economy than the particulars of the plan.

(A) even a greater significance for the economy than
(B) a significance that is even greater for the economy than
(C) even greater significance for the economy than have
(D) even greater significance for the economy than do
(E) a significance even greater for the economy than have
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 113

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:10
The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have even a greater significance for the economy than the particulars of the plan.

(B) a significance that is even greater for the economy than (same as A but more wordy)

We are comparing 'The guiding principles of the tax plan' with 'the particulars of the plan'.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 15:25
cici wrote:

I got it wrong :cry:

Here are my 2 cents!
Scenario: The sentence says that the tax plan released by the Treasury department has-- guiding principles and particulars. Here the author is trying to compare between 'significance of the guiding principles' and 'significance of the particulars' . Since he compares between 2 things he uses the comparative degree [lesser than / greater than].He speculates for the future X (could have) a greater ----than Y (does ) now.

POE:-- [A] Wrongly compares significance to particulars [B] same error of wrong comparison + verbose [C] meaning changes here : x's could have {in the future} greater significance than y's do {now} NOT y's have [D] Preserves the meaning and comparison--The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have even greater significance for the economy than do the particulars of the plan.[E] It shifts the intended comparison from significance to economy. Its similar to saying that 'X' has significance even greater for economy than 'Y' has for the society , the locus of comparison shifts.

So I think it is D. Btw what is the source of the problem?

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 256 [8] , given: 12

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Good work, folks! It seems that people are (correctly) aligned on D now, but I was asked to comment, so here's my take:

I think what makes this problem confusing is that the words "have" and "do" have so many possible roles in a sentence. Let's clarify things with an example:

I like pie more than my brothers.

What does this sentence mean? Do I prefer pie to my brothers, or do I enjoy eating pie more than my brothers do?

Now, we could clear up this ambiguity by saying “I like pie more than my brothers like pie.” This wouldn’t be grammatically incorrect, but there’s a shorter, more stylish, and more GMAT-like way to say this:

I like pie more than my brothers do.

Here, the word “do” stands in for the idea “like pie.”

Now, what about the following?

I have more love for pies than my brothers do.

Here, we are still using “do” to stand in for the preceding verb phrase: in this case, “have love for pies.” (We can substitute the verb phrase without including the comparative word “more.”) We don’t want to use the word “have”—it would not sound great to say “I have more love for pies than my brothers have.”

So we can already see how the word “do” can stand in for the word “have.” This is NOT the case if “have” is used to indicate the present perfect, as in the following:

I have been going to the gym lately.

Now, if I want to compare myself to my brothers, I will need to use the present perfect for both my verb and theirs. I do this by saying “have” twice.

I have been going to the gym more than my brothers have.

The second “have” (at the end of the sentence) functions just like “do” in the present tense does. It stands for the verb phrase “have been going to the gym.”

As a side note, I should point out that the GMAT often places the second verb BEFORE its subject, like this:

I have more pies than do my brothers.
I have been going to the gym more often than have my brothers.

This is fine, and entails no change in meaning.

Now, back to the original sentence. Here, “have” is NOT being used to indicate present perfect. It is part of the phrase “could have . . . significance.” So let’s write a simple sentence to parallel this one:

I might have more of an impact on the election than do my brothers.

If, instead, I say “I might have more of an impact on the election than have my brothers,” it sounds like I am speaking about them in the present perfect. I’d be saying that I might have more of an impact (in the future) than my brothers have had (so far). That’s the same mistake we’d be making if we chose C or E on this problem. We don't want to say that the principles could (in the future) have more significance than the particulars have (up to now).

Hopefully now, those with concerns can see why D works. The word “do” is actually filling in for the verb phrase “have significance.”

By the way, we need “do”--rather than nothing--to avoid ambiguity. A & B pose this problem in different ways.

B: “The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have a significance that is even greater for the economy than the particulars of the plan.” There are a few ways to read this sentence (and that's the problem), but to me it seems like we’re saying that the significance of the principles could be better for the economy than the particulars are. We should be saying that the principles are more significant (or “greater in significance”) than the particulars.

In A, we have two problems. First, the word order is wrong—“could have even a greater” just doesn’t work, because “even” seems to be modifying the verb “have” instead of the adjective “greater,” as it should. Second, without our helper “do,” we still have some ambiguity. A could be read as “The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have an even greater significance for the economy than FOR the particulars of the plan.” In other words, without a clarifying word (either the “for” that I just added, or the “do” that we add in D), we aren’t sure which interpretation to go with.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 06:02
please also indicate your thinking way...

for example why it isnt C ? Isn't there any formal reason ? Using the ear may be working for you but its harder for non natives, especially for people like me who don't live in an english speaking country..

"offical answer is d"
we can already see that..
no need to play captain obvious
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 29

The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 08:05
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 12

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Ankit04041987 wrote:

Here both C and D are correct, although the answer would be D.

For the convenience we can write the answers as follows:

The guiding principles (of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department) could have even greater significance (for the economy) than have the particulars of the plan.

The guiding principles (of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department) could have even greater significance (for the economy) than do the particulars of the plan.

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1775 [0], given: 249

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 09:29
Expert's post
A test of parallel comparison

(A) even a greater significance for the economy than--- the second arm namely the particulars should be verbed to match the verb on the first arm

(B) a significance that is even greater for the economy than--- same error as in A

(C) even greater significance for the economy than have – the fronting of the verb before the verb have leaves the sentence din a muddle, changing the meaning. What it actually may mean is that the guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have even a greater significance for the economy than the guiding principles have the particulars of the plan, thus nudging the particulars to a position of object from the subject. Therefore the need for differential verb rather than the repetition of have

(D) Even greater significance for the economy than do –good choice

(E) a significance even greater for the economy than have --- The changed word order renders the modifier adjective greater without a modified noun immediately after it, while repeating the verb error as seen in C

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 13:01
have is not used to express perfect , have is a verb and we should also use have with rest part of than, if there were make instead of have we could use do.
What do you think ???
yourgmattutor.blogspot.com
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 04:44
The answer is not C

Let's see it with a simpler sentence:

1) Ministers have greater importance than subordinates have. (Ministers have greater importance than subordinates do) is correct or ( A has more power than B does)

Based on the explanation , answer D fits correctly.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 99

The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have
even a greater significance for the economy than the particulars of the plan.
=========================================
IF YOU LIKE THIS QUESTION ENCOURAGE ME WITH KUDOS
==========================================

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1775 [0], given: 249

Re: PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESION WITH POE [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 07:36
Expert's post
(A) even a greater significance for the economy than --- The comparison is between what principles could have with what the particulars could have; The chocie wrongly compares what the principles could have with the particular themselves – wrong; we must have an action verb for the second part too.

(B) a significance that is even greater for the economy than --- same as in A

(C) even greater significance for the economy than have --- Of course, this has a verb for the second part, but the verb have is inferior to - do -

(D) even greater significance for the economy than do --- better choice than –have—hence preferable,

(E) a significance even greater for the economy than have ----- ‘A significance’ is problematic, significance is a non countable noun. When we say –a significance, it renders the meaning that significance is countable as one significance, two significances etc. Hence wron

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 1468 [0], given: 122

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 23:45
cici wrote:

I got it wrong :cry:

First, we need to compare "the tax plan released by the Treasury Department" vs "the particulars of the plan". So we need main verb before "the particulars". If we eliminate main verb, we will compare the economy vs the particulars of the plan.

Second, "have" is not main verb, it should be "do".

Hence, only D is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 23:31
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 70

Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treas [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
In this type of questions, meaning of the sentence plays a crucial role.

In this question, first we need to find which parts are compared:
Is the comparison between “guiding principles of the tax plan” and “particulars of the plan”
OR
Is the comparison between “significance of guiding principles on the economy” and “significance of particulars on the economy”?

After judging the meaning, it can be seen that the comparison should be between “significance of guiding principles on the economy” and “significance of particulars on the economy”.

To make the comparison proper, we need have the construction as “… economy than do the particulars of the plan.”
Point to note: “have” in non-underlined part is not used as present perfect. So, if “do” is replaced by “have”, the sentence will have distorted meaning.

A) “Significance for the economy” is compared to “particulars of the plan”. Incorrect option.
B) “Significance” is compared to “particulars of the plan”. Also, “significance” is non-countable and hence “a significance” in ungrammatical. Incorrect option.
C) Introduction of second “have” is distorting the meaning. The construction “X could have greater Y than have Z” is grammatically incorrect and it does not convey the desired comparison. Incorrect option.
D) Correct. Here then sentence is meaningful and contains right comparison.
E) Introduction of second “have” is distorting the meaning. The construction “X could have Y greater than have Z” is grammatically incorrect and it does not convey the desired comparison. Also, “significance” is non-countable and hence “a significance” in ungrammatical. Incorrect option.

Correct option is D.
Booth Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 343

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treas [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 13:22
batliwala wrote:

Hey all, mind if I join the discussion?
Answer should be (D)

First of all, ask yourself what it is that you are comparing? That's right we are comparing the significance of the GP and the significance of the PP.
Therefore, our best candidate would be (D)

Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treas [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 01:28
To avoid confusing, we need to verb for the second part of the comparison. So eliminate A and B.

In C and D, the use of "have" is wrong: it should be "do" -> choose D
Re: The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treas   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2014, 01:28