Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:00) correct 52% (01:21) wrong based on 524 sessions
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.
(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than
(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than
(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were
(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had
(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
Only A & B use 'its numbers' for the singular gyrfalcon - C,D,E can be discarded.

For countable items/numbers, 'greater than' is preferred to 'more than'.

So A is correct.
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1424 [7] , given: 245

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than ------ Numbers is countable hence greater that required – correct choice.

(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than – more than in most contexts to denote more volume or mass and to that extent is no- countable So does not go well with numbers . Generally when a plural noun such as numbers, books, pencils, mountains etc is involved, it entails greater than.

(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were---- their a wrong pronoun

(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had ---- they is a wrong pronoun.

(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than --- This is a tricky issue. There is a temptation to allege that the phrase, now with ……. modifies extinction. More importantly, number does not indicate whose numbers it is, which is an Achilles’ heel. However, from whatever dimension, this choice is inferior to Choice A.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 20:36
Hi guys, I have a doubt regarding the question in this part "Its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's"

The doubt is regarding the comparison. shouldn't it be like this."Its numbers are now five times greater than they were when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's"

If "they were" was not mentioned does it mean we can take it for granted?Is it a ellipses case?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 06:20
The comparison is discussed as a parallelism issue in this forum:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t1926.html

was struggling with the same and for me choice A is right because there is no better answer. ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 291

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 18:58
daagh wrote:
(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than ------ Numbers is countable hence greater that required – correct choice.

(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than – more than in most contexts to denote more volume or mass and to that extent is no- countable So does not go well with numbers . Generally when a plural noun such as numbers, books, pencils, mountains etc is involved, it entails greater than.

(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were---- their a wrong pronoun

(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had ---- they is a wrong pronoun.

(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than --- This is a tricky issue. There is a temptation to allege that the phrase, now with ……. modifies extinction. More importantly, number does not indicate whose numbers it is, which is an Achilles’ heel. However, from whatever dimension, this choice is inferior to Choice A.

Can ypu help me out with this question. I am confused between A AND E

28) The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

(E) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than what they were
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 395 [1] , given: 239

Premium Member
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
daagh wrote:

28) The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970's.

Hi mohnish104,
I think either you have made an error in reproducing the question or you are asking a new question,if it is the latter pls. make a separate post for it
I will explain the current question
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

A and E differ mainly because of meaning
The original sentence is stating 2 fact abt gyrfalcon --the bird has survived a close brush with extinction AND its numbers have increase 5 times
so we need two independent clauses or sentences to state the above --this is done with Option A where the two independent clauses are joined by a semicolon;

While E uses a modifier [,now with numbers ..]
The modifier is not required since neither does it explain the earlier clause (how the bird survived a close brush with extinction) nor does it give any more information about it.
So A

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 291

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 20:23
dentobizz wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi mohnish104,
I think either you have made an error in reproducing the question or you are asking a new question,if it is the latter pls. make a separate post for it
I will explain the current question

A and E differ mainly because of meaning
The original sentence is stating 2 fact abt gyrfalcon --the bird has survived a close brush with extinction AND its numbers have increase 5 times
so we need two independent clauses or sentences to state the above --this is done with Option A where the two independent clauses are joined by a semicolon;

The modifier is not required since neither does it explain the earlier clause (how the bird survived a close brush with extinction) nor does it give any more information about it.
So A

Its a different question. I have created a new post. Here's the link the-gyrfalcon-an-arctic-bird-of-prey-has-survived-a-close-162947.html#p1290822
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 21:16
dentobizz wrote:
So A

Also, "with" is generally a very "weak" modifier, because it is not very clear "what" it is modifyng. So, there is an ambiguity associated with it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 19:17
Dear Friends,
I want to know exact meaning of "its numbers", does this equal to say " gyrfalcons" in choice A? I am struggling to understand the usage of "numbers"?
Thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 239

Premium Member
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 19:29
forfuture wrote:
Dear Friends,
I want to know exact meaning of "its numbers", does this equal to say " gyrfalcons" in choice A? I am struggling to understand the usage of "numbers"?
Thanks

Hi Forfuture,

Yes,'its numbers' means 'the number of Gyrfalcon birds'
'its' is the pronoun for gyrfalcom

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 23:20
dentobizz wrote:
forfuture wrote:
Dear Friends,
Thanks

Hi Forfuture,

Dentobizz
Thank you very miuch for the expalanation.
But, if "its numbers" equal "the number of Gyrfalcon birds" why we use "are" in choice A.
Thanks for the respons in advance
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 239

Premium Member
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 19:47
forfuture wrote:
dentobizz wrote:
forfuture wrote:
Dear Friends,
Thanks

Hi Forfuture,

Dentobizz
Thank you very miuch for the expalanation.
But, if "its numbers" equal "the number of Gyrfalcon birds" why we use "are" in choice A.
Thanks for the respons in advance

sentence 1
The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close brush with extinction;
sentence 2 its numbers are(verb) now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970’s.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 08:42
forfuture wrote:

That is because "numbers" is "plural".
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3140 [0], given: 176

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 03:28
Expert's post
Hi there,

Yes, "its numbers" refers to the gyrfalcon's numbers. Note that the subject is singular, "the gyrfalcon". So, "its" correctly refers to the singular subject. However, since "numbers" is plural, the plural verb "are" is needed.

I hope this helps to resolve your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 17:52
(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than Correct - use of "greater" is necessary for countable nouns

(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than Wrong - "more" should be used with uncountable nouns. It is true that a "gyrfalcon" is countable noun, but the comparison is between "numbers are" and "[numbers] when"

(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were Wrong - "their number" must be close to the noun "gyrfalcon" in order to modify it; "what they were" is generally wordy

(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had Wrong - must have conjunction between "extinction" and "now"; "they" must be singular because gyrfalcon is singular;

(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than Wrong - imprecise. It's not clear what "numbers" refers to

A

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 06:28
(A) extinction; its numbers are now five times greater than ( use of greater is fine to set comparison between now and past that is between two points refer MGMAT SC book)
(B) extinction; its numbers are now five times more than ( more is not appropriate here, sounds numbers are more not the count )
(C) extinction, their numbers now fivefold what they were ( run on )
(D) extinction, now with fivefold the numbers they had ( run on )
(E) extinction, now with numbers five times greater than ( run on )

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 82

CAT Tests
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 02:34
According to e-gmat.. greater than is use for uncountable nouns.. and more than for either countable or uncountable !
numbers are countable ! so shudnt we use more?

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 02:41
sanjoo wrote:
According to e-gmat.. greater than is use for uncountable nouns.. and more than for either countable or uncountable !

You can refer chapter 10 of MGMAT SC page 202; a similar example is given with explanation.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 82

CAT Tests
Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 06:23
PiyushK wrote:
sanjoo wrote:

You can refer chapter 10 of MGMAT SC page 202; a similar example is given with explanation.

Ohkey..
Thanks alot..i got that !

Lots of things to look for for just one sc question ! Oh english.. i have gone mad !

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Re: The gyrfalcon, an Arctic bird of prey, has survived a close   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2014, 06:23