, we follow a three-step process to solve any SC question. We first understand the meaning of the sentence, then we evaluate the errors in the sentence and then we run the Process of Elimination to get to the correct answer. So let us begin.
• The gyrfalcon is an Arctic bird of prey.
• It had gone very close to extinction but succeeded in surviving.
• The number of this bird is five times greater now than in the early 70s when the use of DDT was highly restricted.
In the next step, we divide the sentence in clauses as follows:
• The gyrfalcon,
an Arctic bird of prey, has survived
a close brush with extinction; (Subject=The gyrfalcon, Verb=has survived)
• its numbers are
now five times greater than (S=its numbers, V=are)
o when the use of DDT was
in the early 1970s. (S=the use of DDT, V=was restricted)ERROR ANALYSIS:
• Possessive pronoun correctly refers to “the gyrfalcon”.
• Plural subject “its numbers” agrees in number with plural verb “are”.
• The comparison between the numbers of the bird at the time when pesticides were restricted and now when it is not is correct.
• No errors. POE:A.
Correct as is.B.
Wrong. When comparing, the quantity word for “numbers” is “greater than”, not “more than”. For example:
i. The number of apples is greater than that of oranges.
ii. There are more apples than oranges.C.
Wrong. Plural pronouns “their” & “they” do not agree in number with its singular antecedent “gyrfalcon”.D.
a. Plural pronoun “they” does not agree in number with its singular antecedent “gyrfalcon”.
b. Phrase “now with …” seems to modify extinction that is non-sensical. E.
Wrong. Same modifier error as in D.
1. Use correct quantity words for entities being compared.
2. All the pronouns must agree in number with their antecedents.
3. Modifiers must be placed and worded correctly to convey the intended meaning of the sentence.
The concepts tested in this question has been covered in e-gmat
1. Level 1 – Pronouns (This concept is covered in Preview Level 1 Concepts which can be accessed for free. So register and learn the concept.)
2. Level 1 – Correcting Modifier errors
3. Level 2 – Idioms - Comparisons
The detailed video solution for this question is available in our SC course OG Verbal
2 Solutions which is available to e-gmat
Aiming to score 760+ on the GMAT? Attend our free webinars to learn how to:
[*] Master Number Properties
[*] Ace Critical Reasoning
The webinars will start at 7 AM PST on the 11th and 12th of July, 2015.