Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 08:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 03:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (02:11) correct 16% (01:49) wrong based on 94 sessions
The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has had a bad quarter. Rather than lay off workers to cut costs, however, it will simply defer salaries for 30 days and hold them in a mutual fund to pick up interest to cover expenses. By doing this the company and its employees will avoid the negative consequences often associated with earning shortfalls.

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the corporation,Aos plan?
A. Employees will not be able to control which mutual funds the salaries will be diverted into.
B. The corporation cannot save money by cutting staff because it is already understaffed.
C. Some employees will need to borrow money to hold them over until the 30 days are up and they will consequently have 30 days of interest on these loans.
D. Some employees will not be affected by the rollover because they have savings.
E. The corporation's budget was cut by 15% last year.

Please give your line of reasoning, thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A weakening question [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 04:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has had a bad quarter. Rather than lay off workers to cut costs, however, it will simply defer salaries for 30 days and hold them in a mutual fund to pick up interest to cover expenses.
FACTS
By doing this the company and its employees will avoid the negative consequences often associated with earning shortfalls.
Conclusion

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the corporation,Aos plan?
We have to look for an answer that shows that: despite the plan, employees will experience "negative consequences".

A. Employees will not be able to control which mutual funds the salaries will be diverted into.
This doesn't mean any "negative consequences".
B. The corporation cannot save money by cutting staff because it is already understaffed.
Again, no "negative consequences" can be deducted from this.
C. Some employees will need to borrow money to hold them over until the 30 days are up and they will consequently have 30 days of interest on these loans.
Correct. 30 days of interests are a bad consequence for the employees.
D. Some employees will not be affected by the rollover because they have savings.
No "negative consequences" here.
This is a fact that doesn't affect the conclusion.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [1] , given: 67

Re: A weakening question [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
sandra1122 wrote:
The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has had a bad quarter. Rather than lay off workers to cut costs, however, it will simply defer salaries for 30 days and hold them in a mutual fund to pick up interest to cover expenses. By doing this the company and its employees will avoid the negative consequences often associated with earning shortfalls.

Please give your line of reasoning, thanks!

Hi
This is a question that deals with plan and its effect.
the plan here is to bridge the earning shortfall by investing the salary in mutual funds.
option C: States that Some employees will borrow. this borrowing will have an interest, hence it casts doubt on the objective of the plan....they may earn a little of profit but that can be negated by the interest of another loan.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A weakening question [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 04:25
I didn't realize at first that borrowing generates interest, I though the interest was earned...
Thanks guys.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 07:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The Hale Burton Oil Pipeline Construction Corporation has   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 07:21