Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The health commissioner said that the government had

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 23:20
bsaikrishna wrote:
The health commissioner said that the government had implemented strict measures to eradicate the contaminated food and, despite the recent illnesses, it will try to prevent the outbreak from recurring in the future.

A. it will try

B. that it tried

C. it had tried

D. it would have tried

E. that it would try

This is how I see it:

The health commissioner said:
that
>>>>>the government had implemented strict measures (This happened before the "said" event)
and that
>>>>>it would try to prevent outbreak.(This would happen after the "said" event)

said is past tense AND any claim the govt. made would be from that point onward (thus would)

D is incorrect because "it would have tried" is a hypothetical situation that could have been done. But, the meaning of the sentence conveys that government "will" definitely try to do something, a situation not at all hypothetical.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:05
okk i get your point but then doesnt "dat it WOULD try"...is also hypothetical?
Math Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:15
DeeptiM wrote:
okk i get your point but then doesnt "dat it WOULD try"...is also hypothetical?

No, I don't think it is. You/others may correct.

"Government said it would try" means that "the government will try". Note: this is a certain event that will happen in future from the point the claim was made.

"Government said it would have tried" means that government did not try but it would have tried in the past from the point the claim was made. Also, "would have tried" is almost always preceded by a condition that is past perfect; something like:

Government said that it would have tried if it had had any hope of a positive result. (if it had had any hope of a positive result- Condition with past perfect)

"would is used" to convey a non-hypothetical condition from a point in past.

So,
Past perfect->would have->hypothetical
Past tense->would->non-hypothetical

~fluke

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:27
Quote:
that
>>>>>the government had implemented strict measures (This happened before the "said" event)
and that
>>>>>it would try to prevent outbreak.(This would happen after the "said" event)

Where would you fit "despite the recent illnesses" in this?

I think it is distorting the parallelism. In my earlier post I had asked which one of the three versions sounds correct.

Crick
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 904 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
crick20002002 wrote:
Quote:
that
and that

Where would you fit "despite the recent illnesses" in this?

I think it is distorting the parallelism. In my earlier post I had asked which one of the three versions sounds correct.

Crick

despite the recent illnesses -- is a prepositional phrase that we can do without. It really doesn't add much to the main clause. Moreover, it is embedded between commas, thus we can continue from what precedes comma to what follows the latter comma.

~fluke

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 01:34
despite the recent illnesses , though a prepositional phrase, has some importance as it is part of the statement made by the health commisioner.

But I broadly agree with the underlying concept. Thanks fluke.

Crick
Math Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 01:41
crick20002002 wrote:
despite the recent illnesses , though a prepositional phrase, has some importance as it is part of the statement made by the health commisioner.

But I broadly agree with the underlying concept. Thanks fluke.

Crick

Indeed, it has. You're welcome Crick!!

~fluke

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Health commissioner [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 23:33
Would has two different roles:
1. Hypothetical: This is when you are talking of an event which didnt happen - "I would have gone had it been not raining." I didnt go- my going is hypothetical
2. 'Past' form of will : This is used when a future action is reported in the past - so a statement such as "I believe he would come" is wrong, but saying " I believed he would come is correct" I am talking of my belief in the PAST about an event which was to then happen in FUTURE.

It is in the second way that would is being used here:'govt will try' is reported - health commissioner SAID that the govt would try.
And thus, it is correct. D exemplifies usage in hypothetical way: govt would have tried - but this means that govt didnt try, and that we are talking of the past. That doesnt fit in the overall intent of the author.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 695 [1] , given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The health commissioner [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
jaynayak wrote:
The health commissioner said that the government had implemented strict measures to eradicate the contaminated food and, despite the recent illnesses, it will try to prevent the outbreak from reccurring in the future.

A) it will try
B) that it tried
C) it had tried
D) it would try
E) that it would try

jaynayak, you need to edit your post; the OA is E and here's the reason why. i've searched the web and E is indeed the correct OA.

the question takes place entirely in the past because the statement made by the health commissioner is in the past. if you are standing from the time point of the statement, here is the timeline:

1. The government had implemented measures -- this took place BEFORE the commissioner's statement, so it requires the PAST PERFECT.
2. The health commissioner said
3. The government would try to prevent outbreaks -- this will take place AFTER the commissioner's statement, so it requires the CONDITIONAL.

The conditional tense is basically the "past future," and is used when an event in the past referred to the future. Since the future tense is "will + verb", the conditional tense is "would + verb". Only (D) and (E) use the conditional tense (actually (D) is a kind of conditional perfect).

(E) is correct because it also has the word "that" which is required to make the two things the commissioner said parallel.

["could" is not a form of the conditional tense]

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 11:50
I got E also. I got this as a question of the day and the answer had said D. Not sure why.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 09:15
Great question. I learned a lot. Thanks guys.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 00:05
I am learning from this question. I picked D. Now explanation for E making sense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 00:37
finally agreed with E as it is converted from direct speech to indirect speech.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 02:41
The govt implemented strict measures to eradicate the contaminated food and, despite the recent illnesses, it will try to prevent the outbreak from recurring in the future"...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 103

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 11:10
GMATT73 wrote:
Past statements with future implication(s) always takes the modal (could/would) form.

The second "that" isn't necessary here because "it" clearly refers to the same commissioner's statement on behalf of the government.

I agree upon both the points put forth by GMATT73. Would is apparently the correct usage in this sentence and the second "that" is not necessary.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 15:30
The health commissioner said that the government had implemented strict measures to eradicate the contaminated food and, despite the recent illnesses, that it would try to prevent the outbreak from reccurring in the future.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 59

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 10:24
Definitely between D and E

E for me because it cements the fact that the government "would try." Without the second that, the sentence could be interpreted as the health commissioner would try - even though the sentence incorrectly uses "it" as the pronoun instead of he/she.

In other words, the second "that" helps clarify the meaning.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 59

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 10:32
Also, it seems in reposting the question D has 2 VERSIONS??

Can anyone find the correct answer choices?

Some of you have posted answer D as

"it would try"

and some have posted it as

"it would have tried"
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 07:12
Consider the examples :
The man said that he would buy a new car &
-The man said that he will buy a new car.
The first sentence is correct!
On similar line this question can be attempted.

Is there anything wrong if we remove 'that' from the correct option ?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The health commissioner said that the government had [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 13:48
As I always say, first apply direct-indirect-speech check on sentence.

Sentence is in indirect speech: THC said that ...

So we will have to take care of verb tenses applicable for indirect speech.

was becomes had had
will becomes would.
etc...

Considering required parallelism, we can eliminate A,C, and D.

Between B and E, only E is using correct verb tense applicable in indirect speech. Therefore, E is OA.

The health commissioner said that the government had implemented strict measures to eradicate the contaminated food and, despite the recent illnesses, it will try to prevent the outbreak from recurring in the future.

A) it will try
B) that it tried
C) it had tried
D) it would try
E) that it would try

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: The health commissioner said that the government had   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2014, 13:48