Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 74632

The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2004, 15:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
12. The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, the higher the incidence of cancer in that country; the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer. So individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake.

Which one of the following, if true, most weaken the argument?

(A) The differences in average fat intake between countries are often due to the varying makeup of traditional diets.

(B) The countries with a high average fat intake tend to be among the wealthiest in the world.

(C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake.

(D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution.

(E) An individual resident of a country whose population has a high average fat intake may have a diet with a low fat intake
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2004, 17:05
if (D) is right then I will explain.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2004, 17:15
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4699
My answer long ago was E. I'd like to see what the explanation for D would be...

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 06:34
(C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake.
This does not say that people who had high fat diet developed cancer. However it is a possibility.

(D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution.
This brings in another alternative cause of cancer because pollution affects everyone.

(E) An individual resident of a country whose population has a high average fat intake may have a diet with a low fat intake
True but it does not say that the person who had low fat intake developed cancer, or the person with high fat intake did not develop cancer.

I am sure Paul wont take this bone.!! :lol:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 07:36
Well If the question is LSAT type (unGMATic) then my brain is bound to freeze just like any Microsoft product (My XP crashed yesterday)

I believe LSAT questions conceivably go out of scope. The relation of high fat to high cancer is the issue. So if a lawyer has a case which says that McD's high fat combo is the reason of the death of n-number of people then they come up with an answer that in Oakbrook, IL (MCD-HQ) there are lots of cars polluting surrounding. I mean this will suit just the lawyers, who have to go in extreme. Some may become Ken Starr, others may become John Travolta in Civil Action. If this was a GMAT question then nobody in even holy hell would dispute C.

I don't know if its a good practice to use LSAT CR extensively but when after some time I started loosing sharpness I left it. Thats why I usually avoid LSAT CR, which makes me loose my focus.

Please share you LSAT experience.

--Bhai :panel
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 07:52
Hi Bhai,

Your post is funny ( I mean about microsoft ) It is like having a grumpy or unreliable wife. You need her or depend on her but have to tolerate lot of nonsense.
I could not agree with you more about LSAT CRs.

Anand.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 08:37
anandnk wrote:
Hi Bhai,

Your post is funny ( I mean about microsoft ) It is like having a grumpy or unreliable wife. You need her or depend on her but have to tolerate lot of nonsense.
I could not agree with you more about LSAT CRs.

Anand.

anandnk,

Comparing wife to MS can be a disputed analogy. You can divorce wife and get another one which is dependable but you cannot abdicate MS product now (atleast till the penguin roars).

I will ask my friend to prepare a set of questions from LSAT and GMAT and work on it without knowing the source. Did you try to take the test without knowing source? What is your reasoning behind supporting LSAT as a great prep for GMAT? Did you find measurable difference in your improvement. All these questions may help us all.

Some of my reasonings are the fundamental difference in the test, philosophical difference in the test taking company ETS and LSAC, no rattling even by the test prep companies.

I think for assumption question LSAT is good. Cannot really say about others.

--Bhai
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 12:24
hi guys

bhai, anand agrees with you. he just said... he couldnt agree with you MORE..

you guys didnt like LSAT? :oops: I agree its tough.. but the challenge is to get a lot of the first 10-15 questions in verbal correct... and i am almost convinced that its the CR's and the RC's that do the damage for most of the guys..

we work so hard on SC... but if do not cross 35-37 in verbal, we probably didnt even come close to seeing the toughest questions on SC. LSAT makes you uncomfortable , but its standardized and except for the logic based questions, you can safely use it.

the reason why i recommend it is because its the closest thing to the gmat. and there is little reliable material out there except the OG and probably gmat+.

Anand, i honestly believe that lsats work and thats why i sent you the book.. hope it was not a distraction..

thanks guys
Praet
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 12:32
Hi Prae,

I think I generalized too much. LAST is great. Not all CRs warrant my above said opinion. There are some CRs which fall into this catagory. The reasoning tested in GMAT and LSAT are slightly different. The same holds good for RCs. But if you can reason LSAT CRs (most of them ) you are in good shape to reason GMAT CRs.

I didnt mean to misguide.

Sorry,
Anand.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 74632

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 16:47
Sorry for the confusion....

I thought that Anand disagreed with me. No I see now what you folks are saying. Use LSAT as a prep to hone our reasoning skills. My question for Anand was a question from a member to chief and I don't mean to create a confusion. It was just an honest venture to find out more about the use of LSAT material to incorporate in daily prep routine. My only concern was since I get most of my LSAT CR wrong and the regular one with a decent strike rate, I thought that may be I change my approach.

Praet--

Anand opined on the use of LSAT as a genuine method to practice verbal and develop reasoning to counter GMAT questions with relative ease. I think I missed the message.

Chief (anandnk)--

I will evaluate my LSAT strategy and get you posted about my plans.

Sorry once again for the misunderstanding :toilet
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 16:49
Since I crashed my Machine yesterday and got everything installed fresh like a baby's butt, I forgot to sign in. The guest is me.

--BHAI
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 17:16
Hey guys

Thats cool.

By the way..Its about time someone solved the original question :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 19:26
re solving the original question, I side with Anand that it's D

The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, the higher the incidence of cancer in that country; the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer. So individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake.

(D) states: The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution.

It's possible that high levels of environmental pollution is what's behind high incidence of cancer. If that's the case, then a person may reduce his/hers fat intake and still end up getting a cancer b/c that person resides in a polluted zone.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2004, 00:03
I support D as well.

D introduces a new variable that suggests that cancer may have a positive correlation not only with high average fat intake, but also with pollution. In ther words, there are other causes for A, besides B.

high risk of cancer = A
High fat average intake = B
pollution = C

From the argument B causes A
From [D], C may cause A

Searching for an answer...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2004, 03:27
(D) for me too!

To solve such questions, it is better to remember one thing, for stenghten/weaken question, just remember take given facts as true (I mean at first they might seem as out of scope choice but it might not be true!!)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2004, 08:40
Suprisingly I agree with Paul on this

in D, why is everyone assuming that environmental pollution causes cancer?

my FA would be E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2004, 00:43
well I am disagreeing with most of you may be all of you I would go with C...

the premise says'' X ( high fat intake ) gives to Y or cancer''
low X ----> low Y

so what one has to do is take low X and so therby have low Y...

WEAKEN ''''' BUT WHAT IF COUNTRY WHICH HAS LOW X HAS HIGH Y then the ''one has to reduce his fat intake to reduce cancer'' will NO longer apply because the country wer the FATintake is low has already the highest cancer ... I guess my ans wud be C .and why is everybody here assuming that ONLY environmental pollution causes cancer there cud be as many causes, if U can assume that envi'pol' can cause so can other factors

wats the OA

Have fun :-D

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 02:30
Guys,

Here's my two cents concerning LSAT questions!

Having done thoroughly The Big Book Real LSAT's, I realized that LSAT CRs have a bit other concepts. I got only 2/3 of them correct.
Since this book doesn't provide explanations, I even now have doubts of some answers.

To some extent I agree with Bhai's opinion that LSAT CR questions conceivably go out of scope. At some moment I got used to answering this kind of questions, but SOME of them are not liken to GMAT's.

LSAT RCs are realy good practice! Passages are longer and tougher, but their concept is the same as that in GMAT. Surprisingly the lad (got 740 on GMAT) who gave me this book said that I wouldn't even bother doing CRs in LSAT for the reasons mentioned above, but as a stubborn chap :wink: I did.

To sum up, my advice is to do LSAT CRs only if other stuff (OG, PR, Kaplan etc.) isn't enough for you.

My regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from lsat test [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 05:18
I feel that C is the answer. If C were to be true, the premise given the stimulus "the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer" does not hold true. Then the whole argument is weakened.

I want to know the correct answer. Probably it is high time for guest to reveal the answer.

Anonymous wrote:
12. The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, the higher the incidence of cancer in that country; the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer. So individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake.

Which one of the following, if true, most weaken the argument?

(A) The differences in average fat intake between countries are often due to the varying makeup of traditional diets.

(B) The countries with a high average fat intake tend to be among the wealthiest in the world.

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Re: CR from lsat test   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2004, 05:18