Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 14:01

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 354 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

95% (02:33) correct 5% (01:23) wrong based on 9 sessions
The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream, the better a person's lung function, as measured by the amount of air the person can expel in one second. The lung function of smokers is significantly worse, on average, than that of nonsmokers. Clearly, therefore, one way for smokers to improve their lung function is for them to increase their intake of foods that are rich in these helpful vitamins and minerals.
Which of the following is an assumption on which this argument depends?

(A) Smokers are less likely than nonsmokers to have diets that are rich in vitamins and minerals.
(B) The lung function of smokers whose diets are rich in those vitamins and minerals is generally better than that of nonsmokers with comparable diets.
(C) People whose diets are deficient in those vitamins and minerals do not typically have other health problems in addition to diminished lung function.
(D) Stopping smoking will not typically improve lung function more than any diet changes can.
(E) Smoking does not introduce into the body chemicals that prevent the helpful vitamins and minerals from entering the bloodstream.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 22:54
I will go with 'E'
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 01:41
E it is .Negate E and the argument will collapse .

Other choices noes not effect argument or assumes extra not supported by stem.BTW its a defender question as per powerscore CR bible
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 2

Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:31
E is fine.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:37
clear E.

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 354 [2] , given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
OA is E

The reason I make this incorrect is the 41 question- the final one when my TV turing on a very interesting film. The film lured my attention to the other direction. :lol:

Thanks guys

CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 210

Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 19:04
haha sondenso +1 for that excuse :P
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 354 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR. vitamins [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
bsd_lover wrote:
haha sondenso +1 for that excuse :P

:ninja :ninja :ninja :ninja :ninja :ninja :ninja :ninja :ninja

CEO
CEO
Followers: 314

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 17:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 03:59
The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream, the better a person's lung function, as measured by the amount of air the person can expel in one second. The lung function of smokers is significantly worse, on average, than that of nonsmokers. Clearly, therefore, one way for smokers to improve their lung function is for them to increase their intake of foods that are rich in these helpful vitamins and minerals.

(A) Smokers are less likely than nonsmokers to have diets that are rich in vitamins and minerals.ISNT THIS ALSO AN ASSUMPTION??? ARENT WE ASSUMING THAT THE SMOKERS DONT ALREADY HAVE DIET RICH IN VITAMINS AND MINERALS??
(B) The lung function of smokers whose diets are rich in those vitamins and minerals is generally better than that of nonsmokers with comparable diets.
(C) People whose diets are deficient in those vitamins and minerals do not typically have other health problems in addition to diminished lung function. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS??
(D) Stopping smoking will not typically improve lung function more than any diet changes can.WE NEGLECT THIS BECAUSE THIS OPTION IS TESTING OUR COMMON KNOWLEDGE RIGHT?
(E) Smoking does not introduce into the body chemicals that prevent the helpful vitamins and minerals from entering the bloodstream.

I AM FINDING ALL CORRECT EXCEPT 1... E DIDNT SEEM THE 'BEST' CHOICE TO ME :(

Hope to clear it this time!!
GMAT 1: 540
Preparing again :(

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 12:46
Argument says that smokers have to increase their intake of vitamins and minerals.
That means the current one is not sufficient
We are not concerned about what is the current diet level. We just want to prove that eating more vitamins will help smokers improve the lung function.

what if smoking blocks absorption into bloodstream. In this case, however much the person increases intake of vitamins, his lungs won't improve.
because the vitamins are never absorbed.
This destroys the argument.

Therefore, E is the correct answer choice. It says that smoking does not prevent vitamins from entering the bloodstream. So if the non-smokers increase their intake of vitamins then their lung function will improve.

NGGMAT wrote:

(A) Smokers are less likely than nonsmokers to have diets that are rich in vitamins and minerals.ISNT THIS ALSO AN ASSUMPTION??? ARENT WE ASSUMING THAT THE SMOKERS DONT ALREADY HAVE DIET RICH IN VITAMINS AND MINERALS??
(C) People whose diets are deficient in those vitamins and minerals do not typically have other health problems in addition to diminished lung function. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS??
(D) Stopping smoking will not typically improve lung function more than any diet changes can.WE NEGLECT THIS BECAUSE THIS OPTION IS TESTING OUR COMMON KNOWLEDGE RIGHT?

I AM FINDING ALL CORRECT EXCEPT 1... E DIDNT SEEM THE 'BEST' CHOICE TO ME :(
Re: The higher the level of certain vitamins and minerals in the   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 12:46