Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 8

The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 20:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

32% (01:57) correct 68% (01:22) wrong based on 72 sessions
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traffic, which deters potential customers from visiting Rodway's stores. The congestion has gotten so bad that many of the stores in Rodway are struggling to survive. Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin. Thus, to alleviate congestion and save Rodway's stores, the road between Ipswich and Rodway should be widened.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the argument above?

The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.
Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.
The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing rather than on purchasing new merchandise.
Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 20:26
I am leaning towards C here. D looks a good contender but requires some major assumptions for it to weaken.

Crick
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 22:31
bschool83 wrote:
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traffic, which deters potential customers from visiting Rodway's stores. The congestion has gotten so bad that many of the stores in Rodway are struggling to survive. Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin. Thus, to alleviate congestion and save Rodway's stores, the road between Ipswich and Rodway should be widened.

The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
>It's not mentioned whether it's a short term or long term plan. Construction may cause temporary damage but long term benefits. Not a great weakener.

>This is an additional info unrelated to congestion. What if the passage talks about holiday shopping season itself. Clogging can hurt the stores in any season, more so during holiday shopping season. Ignore.

Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.
>Correct. Even a small customer base can contribute to significant profits. Congestion could only be a remote possibility.

The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing rather than on purchasing new merchandise.
>Not mentioned in the passage whether purchasing new merchandise is more important than advertising and marketing. Who knows if the Rodway's stores already have surplus inventory and thus following this strategy. Not too strong to suggest an alternate cause for the stores' struggle.

Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.
>Martin's stores may not be selling the stuff that Ipswich's customers need more, or there may be other factors that's compelling Ipswich's customers to choose Rodwell over Martin.

Rodway's stores are catering to Ipswich's customers' needs.
Ipswich's stores are catering to Martin's customers' needs.

"C" says it may not be the widening of road that's making Ipswich's stores more profitable, it could actually be the affluence of their Martn's customers that's effecting Ipswich's stores profitability. So, assuming the easing of congestion as a factor for profitability of Martins stores and taking an analogous corrective action could be a bad strategy for Rodway.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 22:52
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 01:46
Whats the OA ,someone please , i choose C as it states someother reason for prosperity in Roadway

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:30
fluke wrote:
bschool83 wrote:

>It's not mentioned whether it's a short term or long term plan. Construction may cause temporary damage but long term benefits. Not a great weakener.

>This is an additional info unrelated to congestion. What if the passage talks about holiday shopping season itself. Clogging can hurt the stores in any season, more so during holiday shopping season. Ignore.

>Correct. Even a small customer base can contribute to significant profits. Congestion could only be a remote possibility.

>Not mentioned in the passage whether purchasing new merchandise is more important than advertising and marketing. Who knows if the Rodway's stores already have surplus inventory and thus following this strategy. Not too strong to suggest an alternate cause for the stores' struggle.

>Martin's stores may not be selling the stuff that Ipswich's customers need more, or there may be other factors that's compelling Ipswich's customers to choose Rodwell over Martin.

Rodway's stores are catering to Ipswich's customers' needs.

Ipswich's stores are catering to Martin's customers' needs.

"C" says it may not be the widening of road that's making Ipswich's stores more profitable, it could actually be the affluence of their Martn's customers that's effecting Ipswich's stores profitability. So, assuming the easing of congestion as a factor for profitability of Martins stores and taking an analogous corrective action could be a bad strategy for Rodway.

Ans: "C"

Somehow, I am not at all convinced with the approach followed to say C is a better option..

Premise says: Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin

Clearly, the profits have increased manifold only after the roads have been widened ..

The purchasing power of residents from Martin in option C is stated as a fact, which is independent of the time frame i.e. residents from Martin have always had higher purchasing power and will continue to have as compared to those in Ipswich ..
This means that widening of roads has actually helped in increasing profits .. Your thoughts ??

Further, I am not sure how can we infer the bold part above (Rodway's stores are catering to Ipswich's customers' needs)..

I say, that Ipswich and Roadway both are just small towns and residents from Martin are the sole customers for the stores in both the towns.. Can we refute this statement from the stimulus ??

Overall, I am not sure which is the right option, however, on the test day I would mark option D and move on...

P.S -> bschool83 dude ur questions r really like shot gun bullets .. dey claim victims at regular intervals .. :(

I was born intelligent but education ruined me !

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 8

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
This question is a classic example of what I call... the 3C's rule "correlation causation caution!" i.e. when you see a correlation amounting to causation... there's something wrong.

Here Rodway's survival is correlated to Martin's by widening the roads from Ipswich. To weaken such conclusions, all you have to do is find a fault in the correlation.

What if Martin's stores were not profitable even after widening the road, then this is a faulty correlation.

Ans E does just that. E is the answer.
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 05:59
bschool83 wrote:
This question is a classic example of what I call... the 3C's rule "correlation causation caution!" i.e. when you see a correlation amounting to causation... there's something wrong.

Here Rodway's survival is correlated to Martin's by widening the roads from Ipswich. To weaken such conclusions, all you have to do is find a fault in the correlation.

What if Martin's stores were not profitable even after widening the road, then this is a faulty correlation.

Ans E does just that. E is the answer.

bschool83:
Could you please tell us exactly from which part of "Veritas Prep" section/guide did you get this question? I'd like to get the reasoning from the authors themselves.

Stores in Martin can be way different from stores in Rodway. What if Ipswich people's need can only be served by stores in Rodway just as Martin's people's needs are served by stores in Ipswich.

~fluke

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:41
I had hard time to decide between C and E. Chose C.

cannot explain why E is wrong or less right though...

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 06:49
+1 for C as E suggests that widening of roads led to slightly increase in the profit while in the road congested areas even the survival is hard.Hence I would say that E is less wrong but wrong
144144 wrote:
I had hard time to decide between C and E. Chose C.

cannot explain why E is wrong or less right though...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 13

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 08:23
Why not B

which of following if true, doubt the argument "making the traffic condition better or widening the road betweeen Rodway and IPSwich to improve Rodway business"

If the rodway business can only profit in holiday, even widening the road will it help rodway business to improve?

But, for answer choice C, how will it doubt the argument, for the reason, the improved road condition between Martin and IPSwich increased the business in IPSwich, So if we widen the road condition between IPSwch and Rodway there is prossibiltiy that the business in Rodway can also improve, hence supporting the conclusion and not doubting it

please explain
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 18:07
I will go with c ,plz correct me if i am wrong.

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 23:27
I chose E.. yaay

I think C is wrong on the lines of Bearbelly

BearBelly wrote:

Somehow, I am not at all convinced with the approach followed to say C is a better option..

Premise says: Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin

Clearly, the profits have increased manifold only after the roads have been widened ..

The purchasing power of residents from Martin in option C is stated as a fact, which is independent of the time frame i.e. residents from Martin have always had higher purchasing power and will continue to have as compared to those in Ipswich ..

P.S -> bschool83 dude ur questions r really like shot gun bullets .. dey claim victims at regular intervals .. :(

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 23:40
I will go with 'C' as this option provides the other alternative which increased store's profit and so will weaken the conclusion " widening the roads will increase the profits and save the stores".

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 01:46
I chose E!!! :-D I second with bschool... Break the conclusion and the answer is clear.
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 02:58
i also think its E...but not very sure

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 06:54
bschool83 wrote:

I initially fell for B, and then realized that it doesn't weaken the argument, it could actually strengthen the argument.

I looked at C and believe it is out of the scope of the question. If Martin has 3x the purchasing power of Ipswitch, then it's safe to say that widening the road to Rodway may actually drive Martin residents to check out stores there. This does not weaken the argument.

E is the correct answer "I believe" because the key word is potential customers, meaning not current customers. If the road was widened and Martin stores have only seen slight increase in profits, then they are not getting a lot of new or potential customers and Rodway stores are going to need more than just a widened road to save their business. The words "struggling to survive" imply that a slight increase won't cut it.

Last edited by Jacksparrow1906 on 09 Aug 2011, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 07:58
good question. tricky one indeed. I took E to be strengthening infact.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 09:39
The argument is : Widening the road to Ipswich will help in increasing the profits.
In my opinion, the correct answer would be the one which would say that the there is some other factor (and not the road) which is the reason for lower profits

I think only C and D make the cut. However, C is still in some way related to the road (as the residents of Martin have to come to Ipswich using the road).

So, D is the choice for me.

OA and OE please.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

Re: CR - 700 level - traffic [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 09:51
IndianExpress wrote:
The argument is : Widening the road to Ipswich will help in increasing the profits.
In my opinion, the correct answer would be the one which would say that the there is some other factor (and not the road) which is the reason for lower profits

I think only C and D make the cut. However, C is still in some way related to the road (as the residents of Martin have to come to Ipswich using the road).

So, D is the choice for me.

OA and OE please.

Just a slight correction, the argument is : Widening the road to Rodway from Ipswich will save the Rodway stores, which are struggling to survive.

The weakening answer will include something that either says the congestion isn't the reason why the stores are struggling to survive or it will say that widening the roads won't save the stores, which are struggling (implies to me significant increase in revenue or profit)
Re: CR - 700 level - traffic   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2011, 09:51