Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2005, 13:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:32) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 7 sessions
The highway from Ipswich to Rodway is currently overcrowded with traffic, which deters potential customers from visiting Rodway's stores. The congestion has gotten so bad that many of the stores in Rodway are struggling to survive. Meanwhile, in Ipswich, the stores are thriving since they widened the road to Martin. Thus, to alleviate congestion and save Rodway's stores, the road between Ipswich and Rodway should be widened.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the argument above?

(1) The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.

(2) The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.

(3) Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.

(4) The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing, rather than on purchasing new merchandise.

(5) Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.

OA to follow.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2005, 14:10
my answer is A.

hey ya......

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2005, 14:18
(3)
It gives an alternate reason why Ipswith's stores are thriving.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2005, 16:12
i think 3 or C

the business is thriving in Ipswich because of rich people in Martin... weakens the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2005, 20:15
I think the Answer is A. The conclusion states that in order to bring up Rodway's businesses, then the road should be widen.

The solution A weakens the argument because if the road is widen, then it would add more traffic and congestion to Rodway. The passage never said anything about whether Martin is a wealthy city or not.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Highway [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 01:55
Here's my crack at it...

(1) The construction necessary to widen the road will block an additional lane of traffic, temporarily adding to the congestion.
- This is a possibility, but since the additional congestion is only temporary, I don't think the argument is strong enough against widening the road.

(2) The stores in Rodway are only profitable during the holiday shopping season.
- This is irrelevant to the conclusion. There is no reference to the time of year.

<b>(3) Martin is a thriving metropolis whose residents have several times the purchasing power of those of Ipswich.</b>
- This is my guess at what the answer is. The solution to increasing business in Rodway is to widen the road to lessen congestion, but if the reason why Ipswich is thriving is because the people are wealthier, then widening roads probably won't solve anything. Thus, this casts the most doubt on the argument.

(4) The owners of Rodway's stores are spending their revenue on advertising and marketing, rather than on purchasing new merchandise.
- The reason for the slow in business is not because of the marketing scheme, but because customers are constantly caught up in traffic and cannot get to the stores.

(5) Martin's stores have only experienced a slight increase in profits since the road from Ipswich was widened.
- The passage is regarding Ipswich and Rodway. Martin is out of scope.

My guess is C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 06:27
Id go with C too!

Cheers, Rahul.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 07:09
3 for me. What is source of question? OG or LSAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 07:17
C offers a reason why the two cities cannot be compared.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 07:26
C is the best choice. It tells us that the amount of business the cities get has nothing to do with how wide the road is, but rather, how much more spending power the visiting city brings in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 03:14
To be frank. I am not sure of any ans here.

I dun think C is correct.
The stores in Ipswich are thriving since the road is widened to Martin. If C is right, it only strengthens the argument, because it encourages people from Martin to travel to Ipswhich and since people in Martin have a high ppp, stores in Ipswhich are thriving.

A is the closest. But I dun like the word temporarily.

E is a closer one too. Though roads have been widened b/w Ipswich and Martin, stores in Martin have seen little benefit. Likewise for Rodway stores. Wish they had used revenues in here instead of profits.

I am closing my eyes and hoping A is correct.

GA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 09:15
I'm going for C here as well.

IMO, A is too ambiguous. I ruled it out because it said that adding a lane would be temporarily add to congestion. It doesn't say how long the construstion would add to congestion. A day? A year? How many lanes do they have right now? One? Ten?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 10:23
between D and E,
I would pick E.
The rest all talk about things that donot really weaken the argument.

The stem says that afer the road widening between I and M, I benifited from that.
E supports this saying M has benifitted very less.
Hence, we can as well assume that the widening of the road between I and R would probably benifit I more than R.
Though it might benifit R a little, its still not sufficient 'coz most of the shops there are almost bankrupt.

OA/OE Plz.

krishna
  [#permalink] 16 Sep 2005, 10:23