Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 8.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: The historian Frederick J. Turner wrote in the 1890's that [#permalink]
20.A
21.D
22.C
23.E
24.B
25.E
26.D
27.D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I got.

20.A
21.D
22.E
23.E
24.B
25.E
26.D
27.D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I dont understand the consensus on Choice 'A'. Can anyone explain the things in bold in option A ?

20. The author is primarily concerned with
(A) showing that a certain interpretation is better supported by the evidence than is an alternative explanation
(B) developing an alternative interpretation by using sources of evidence that formerly had been unavailable
(C) questioning the accuracy of the evidence that most scholars have used to counter the author's own interpretation
(D) reviewing the evidence that formerly had been thought to obscure a valid interpretation
(E) presenting evidence in support of a controversial version of an earlier interpretation.

Other than that, my answers are

20. Dunno, would have chosen 'D' as I could not understand what 'A' means
21. D
22. E
23. D
24. B
25. E
26. D
27. D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 8.4
Send PM
My answers are:

1.B
2.D
3.E
4.D
5.B
6.E
7.C
8.D

I am not getting the first one. The initial theorizing was based on the evidence that there was no land available for farming and hence the discontent. Whereas, the author says that actually there was land available and new lands were taken up throughout the 19th century and thus, it was not the unavailability of land but the market conditions that led to increased agrarian discontent (as also the market forces did not allow the farmers to use the new land available (price fall)).
Hence, the evidence used by author was practically unavailable due to influential theorizing by certain people obscuring the real reasons behind the discontent. This implies that option B isnt a bad choice. What say..?

Also, in 22nd , though i was convinced on C, but than it said in the later half of 19th century : In passage, the author says in last para that the agrarian discontent paralleled the price decline in 1890s or later part of cent. Also, it says the most discontented farmers were those who were most dependent on foreign market. There was so much of land settled for farming by that time that they had land but price fall did not allow them to grow too much .. so it was like a double whammy and a totally stuck up situation.. Am I thinking out of line?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Phew! Will the actual RC's be this long?

Here is my list -

20: (A) showing that a certain interpretation is better supported by the evidence than is an alternative explanation

21: (D) extension of agrarian depressions beyond national boundaries

22: (E) proceeds from the sales of American agricultural products on foreign markets were unsatisfactory

23: (D) Direct lines of communication were constructed between the United States and South America.

24: (B) manifested themselves in several nations, including those in which new land remained available for farming

25: (E) The view that the American frontier did not become closed during the nineteenth century or soon thereafter

26: (C) misidentified as a result of influential but erroneous theorizing

27: (D) similar in size but in the opposite direction
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I got:
20 c
21 a
22 c
23 e
24 a
25 e
26 c
27 a
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Found OA in some other website
A D E E B E C D

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts