Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Aug 2016, 19:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 269

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2013, 09:16
But can the "it" in option C refer to Cobra?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 801

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 03:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 89

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 11:56
Can someone please explain how "it" refers to hognose snake and not king cobra?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.47
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 12:52
Once you realize that all of the verbs need to be gerunds in order to remain parallel, the final step is to validate whether you need the pronoun "it" in the final portion of the sentence. In order to help you determine the necessity of "it," cross out all of the stuff in the middle so you are only left with:

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and eventually, if its pursuer is not cowered by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

This sentence does not make sense in any case (D/E) without the word "it." Ans C is clear
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1373

Kudos [?]: 10180 [0], given: 1852

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 22:42
1) The "3 item list" that begins with the verb "hissing....": so the other 2 items in the list have to have the same "format" (-ing verbs). Here, the verbs "broadening..." and "feigning...." are necessary.

2) The word "but" introduces a new clause to the sentence, and that clause does not need to follow the same parallelism in the list.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 09:06
Financier wrote:
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowered by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

- broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
- broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
- broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
- broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
- broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

The question has been discussed many times, but one point is unclear for me:
MGMAT instructor said that the meaning of the sentence clearly indicates that the forms of broaden and feign should be parallel to "hissing and rearing", since all of those things are actions that occur during the "impressive bluff". But why? How these 2 words define parallelism? For me, these 2 words should be paralleled to each other, without influencing other words, which have their own parallelism story... And it's way better to say broadens... So, for me structure in B is preferrable... Please anybody explain.

Thanks!

POE
A, B out = Looking at the structure, "broadens" should be used as a participle modifying "impressive bluff"
C = Hold on
D out = "broadening " and "feigns " should be parallel, as they are both modifying the same action
E out = need "and" before "feigning repeated strikes", as this changes the meaning. (modifier wise)

So C
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 23:35
Financier wrote:
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowered by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

- broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
- broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
- broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
- broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
- broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

The question has been discussed many times, but one point is unclear for me:
MGMAT instructor said that the meaning of the sentence clearly indicates that the forms of broaden and feign should be parallel to "hissing and rearing", since all of those things are actions that occur during the "impressive bluff". But why? How these 2 words define parallelism? For me, these 2 words should be paralleled to each other, without influencing other words, which have their own parallelism story... And it's way better to say broadens... So, for me structure in B is preferrable... Please anybody explain.

Thanks!

Jozu wrote:
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS NOT A TEST OF PARALLELISM. FORGET ABOUT MAKING PHRASES OR CLAUSES PARALLEL. YOU CANNOT DO IT FROM ANY GIVEN OPTION. EITHER A,B,C,D,E.

This one is quite a funky one, Checking for parallelism is a forlorn exercise in this sentence.
The hognose snake PUTS on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, BROADENS the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, FEIGNS repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

Since hissing and rearing back is bound by commas on either side therefore it is used to provide extra information, it can be seen as a parenthetical term and can be ignored.
NOW If this was a test of parallelism then PUTS, BROADENS, FEIGNS have better parallelism.
BUT if hissing and rearing back are included then in that case PUTS, HISSING, BROADENING, FEIGNING cannot be parallel. (Correct option C uses these verb forms)
So PARALLELISM is NOT BEING TESTED in this sentence.

In this sentence knowledge of conjunctions and their rules is being tested.
Every option except option C is incorrect because they do not have a clear subject after the conjunction "but"

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.
WRONG:- subject missing.
after "but" there is no subject in the second clause

(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.
CORRECT:-Has a proper subject "it" in the second clause. "it" refers to the hognose snake

(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS C

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world does't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
Dreaming Determination+Dedication+Obsession=ABSOLUTE SUCCESS

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2016, 23:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ]