Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2015, 22:17
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 0

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 07:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:11) correct 34% (01:09) wrong based on 185 sessions
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 07:50
Is the Correct Option C???

"Hissing and rearing" sounds parallel to "broadening and feigning"

Wats the OA?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 08:46
Test of parallelism.

Clearly it is between C and E.

In E, and is required before the stating the last item the snake does to bluff ...bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes...

So, it is C IMO
_________________

Is this okay?

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 9

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 09:48
Clearly C.

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back,_____ eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

E is incorrect because Hissing, rearing, broadening the flesh and feigning repeated strikes are some of the visible features of the snake. After discussing this group of characteristics, the author moves on to fangs and venom. Since 'feigning repeated strikes' is the snakes last feature in this category, it is separated by 'and' from the rest.
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 852
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 106

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 10:38
I am really confused with this one..

doesn't C requires comma before and feigning.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 22:17
Hi all, OA is C. Thanks for the inputs
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 509 [0], given: 2

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 11:03
Lots of things going on here.
Please, any SC guro clarify.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1473
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 31

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 11:37
sudeep wrote:
I am really confused with this one..

doesn't C requires comma before and feigning.


It is not necessary to have a comma before "and" in a list. For example, it is acceptable to say: mice, cats and dogs. I am not sure if this is tested in GMAT world, however.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 509 [0], given: 2

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 04:01
lagomez wrote:
sudeep wrote:
I am really confused with this one..

doesn't C requires comma before and feigning.


It is not necessary to have a comma before "and" in a list. For example, it is acceptable to say: mice, cats and dogs. I am not sure if this is tested in GMAT world, however.



i dont agree with you.
gmat always puts a comma before and in a list of more than 2 elements.

The thing in C is that we dont need a comma because the list is of 2 elements: [hissing and rearing], [broadening and feigning].

Hope that helps!
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1473
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 31

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 05:33
noboru wrote:
lagomez wrote:
sudeep wrote:
I am really confused with this one..

doesn't C requires comma before and feigning.


It is not necessary to have a comma before "and" in a list. For example, it is acceptable to say: mice, cats and dogs. I am not sure if this is tested in GMAT world, however.



i dont agree with you.
gmat always puts a comma before and in a list of more than 2 elements.

The thing in C is that we dont need a comma because the list is of 2 elements: [hissing and rearing], [broadening and feigning].

Hope that helps!


Either method in a list of three elements is perfectly okay in English grammar. GMAT does commonly put the comma, however, knowing official grammar rules is always better.

Last edited by lagomez on 28 Aug 2010, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 6

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 07:59
The snake puts on an impressive bluff,..................., but it has not dangerous fangs and venom --> is the right construction because we need to show contrast.

hissing and rearing back, broadening the flesh and feigning repeated strikes --> parallel.

Lets look at the options.

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and - CORRECT
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 926
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 543

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:14
The second part of the sentence is a complete clause so you need "and" so that rules out A and B.

Between C, D and E its parallelism ... C wins!
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 810 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:21
fozzzy wrote:
The second part of the sentence is a complete clause so you need "and" so that rules out A and B.

Between C, D and E its parallelism ... C wins!


hi,

want to add more...
use of IT is necessary for the option to be correct.
because after BUT..a new independent clause needs a subject.

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 153
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 36

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:01
blueseas wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
The second part of the sentence is a complete clause so you need "and" so that rules out A and B.

Between C, D and E its parallelism ... C wins!


hi,

want to add more...
use of IT is necessary for the option to be correct.
because after BUT..a new independent clause needs a subject.

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and




Is "IT" refering to cobra or hognose snake? How can you tell?
_________________

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 926
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 543

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:50
"it" over here has to refer to the snake. Based on the context of the sentence there are two things going on... First, the hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff....
Second part, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, it will fall over dead and play.

Focus on the intended meaning of the sentence :)
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1153
Location: United States
Followers: 192

Kudos [?]: 1905 [2] , given: 123

Premium Member
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 10:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
maaadhu wrote:
blueseas wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
The second part of the sentence is a complete clause so you need "and" so that rules out A and B.

Between C, D and E its parallelism ... C wins!


hi,

want to add more...
use of IT is necessary for the option to be correct.
because after BUT..a new independent clause needs a subject.

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and




Is "IT" refering to cobra or hognose snake? How can you tell?


Hi maaadhu

The complete C is:

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and,[if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance,] will fall over and play dead.

I highlighted blue color the second part of the sentence to clarify pronoun "IT". The non-underlined part is "will fall over and play dead" <== "the hognose" cannot fall over and play dead, only the snake does.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 118
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 11:12
C.

a and B has parallelism error

D and E - , But... sentence is independent clause.. so it should have Subject and verb.... that is why i picked C... is this the correct reasons..
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 810 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 12:06
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
C.

a and B has parallelism error

D and E - , But... sentence is independent clause.. so it should have Subject and verb.... that is why i picked C... is this the correct reasons..


that is absolutely correct.
but better is know all the error present in the sentence.
cheers :-D
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2012
Posts: 134
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 15:01
Why does C have a comma after venom? It's clear that the and after that comma will connect the working verb "has" with "fall over" and "play". :S
Is it necessary that comma? It is confusing because it seems they want to include a new clause :S
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 42
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: NUS '18
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 53

CAT Tests
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 11:25
Choice C should have comma before and feigning

Impressive bluff
Hissing and rearing
,Broadening
,and Feigning

Plz explain !!!!
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 11:25

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing bac sauravleo123 2 17 Jun 2015, 07:03
22 Experts publish their posts in the topic The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and Financier 21 03 Oct 2010, 07:17
2 The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and papillon86 6 07 Jun 2010, 11:59
2 The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and spriya 9 13 Oct 2008, 05:32
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and eyunni 4 30 Sep 2007, 16:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.