Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:45) correct 21% (01:09) wrong based on 7 sessions
The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to keep families united even though all their members do not meet the five-year residency requirement.

(A) all their members do not meet the five-year residency requirement

(B) not all their members meet the five-year residency requirement

(C) all their members have not met the requirement for a five-year residency

(D) not all their members have resided for five years, a requirement

(E) all their members have not resided for five years, as required

Any takers? I need explaination as well.

Thanks in advance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immigration Service [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
technocrat wrote:
The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to keep families united even though all their members do not meet the five-year residency requirement.

Thanks in advance

Clearly the non underlined portion is in present perfect tense hence underlined portion should be in present tense. So A and B are the only choices possible. A has a meaning issue here. Hence I will pick B. A means that all member have not met the requirements. B means some have and some haven't.

IMO B

Would love to know wht others think
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Immigration Service [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
ans A
This sentence is a genear statement so auxilliary very do fit best than have . C,D and E are out. Out of A and B , A is the best fit since even though is followed by subject
She left him, even though she still loved him
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Immigration Service [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 19:50
hibloom wrote:
technocrat wrote:

Thanks in advance

Clearly the non underlined portion is in present perfect tense hence underlined portion should be in present tense. So A and B are the only choices possible. A has a meaning issue here. Hence I will pick B. A means that all member have not met the requirements. B means some have and some haven't.

IMO B

OA is B
For the same meaning issue, I chose A, I thought A means some have met and some have not, and B means all member have not met, since not is followed by subject, emphasis is on 'not'.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immigration Service [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 18:19
technocrat wrote:
hibloom wrote:
technocrat wrote:

Thanks in advance

IMO B

OA is B
For the same meaning issue, I chose A, I thought A means some have met and some have not, and B means all member have not met, since not is followed by subject, emphasis is on 'not'.

Whew! Great Q!

IMO, Not all = some or at least 1

But to me the real problem is what makes any one think that Immigration services will reject if all of them do not meet the five year requirement. As absurd as it may sound, but there is nothing wrong when it has discretionary powers.

Tricky one! I guess one more GMAT'ism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Immigration Service [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 02:17
Good question. B.
The "even though" part requires "not all" the members to follow. Doesn't make sense to say "even though all don't have the 5 year residency requirement"

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 13:53
For me "even though" should be followed by not all, thus B or D should be the correct answer, then D is quite akward, so B is correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 15:44
Tough one, I chose B.

The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to keep families united even though (B) not all their members meet the five-year residency requirement.

Two things stood out to me. First, even though/not all. Second, there is a difference in meaning between not all their members and all their members do not. If all their members do not, then no one in the family has met the residence requirement. In that case, no one has standing to remain the the country.

D is right out because a requirement is a fragment. I think it would be right if it were a which- clause.

Please +1 KUDOS this post if you found it helpful! Thanks!

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.21

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 22:25

(A) all their members do not meet the five-year residency requirement - > Meaning distorted. (all members do not meet ,means no one has met.)

(B) not all their members meet the five-year residency requirement - > correct ans

(C) all their members have not met the requirement for a five-year residency -> Tense error(as it is fact, simple present preferred). Meaning distorted. (all members do not meet ,means no one has met.)

(D) not all their members have resided for five years, a requirement - > Tense error(as it is fact, simple present preferred).

(E) all their members have not resided for five years, as required -> Tense error(as it is fact, simple present preferred). Meaning distorted.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 08:21
technocrat wrote:

Thanks in advance

I think the original question should read all ITS members instead of all THEIR members, but anyways answer is cleraly B because of diction

Ooops, take that back brother

Cheers
J

Last edited by jlgdr on 04 Apr 2014, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 4

Re: The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
"their" is fine; their=families'.

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: The Immigration Service now has the discretionary power to   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2014, 08:53