Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1401 [202]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64912 [17]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [13]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [9]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philoso [#permalink]
Kudos
1. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with

(A) explaining how the Impressionists were influenced by scientific studies of light and color – nothing was told about scientific studies
(B) discussing the philosophical implications of the Impressionist style of painting – the correct answer
(C) identifying the revolutionary artistic techniques developed by the Impressionist painters - the philosophical implications, not techniques is the main point
(D) analyzing the influence of thinkers like Taine and Mauclair on Impressionist painting – those philosophers were only examples, not the main figures
(E) defending the importance of the Impressionist painters in the history of modern art – not importance in the history, but the philosophical implications are relevant here.

2. According to the passage, the Impressionists differed from the ancient Greeks in that the Impressionists

(A) considered color to be property inherent in objects
(B) placed a higher value on the narrative element in painting
(C) depicted the objects in a painting as isolated, rather than united in a single pattern – the opposite answer choice
(D) treated light, rather than matter, as the ultimate reality – Correct “The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality.”
(E) regarded art primarily as a medium for expressing moral and aesthetic ideas

3. The author’s quotation of a statement by Taine (lines 15-16) serves which of the following functions in the passage?

Here I hesitate between A and E, but choose E, because A for me is more like a function in the paragraph, while E in the passage.

(A) It furnishes a specific example of an Impressionist painting that features light as its chief subject.
(B) It resolves an apparent contradiction in the philosophy of the Impressionists.
(C) It qualifies the statement that the ancient Greeks viewed the world in concrete terms.
(D) It summarizes the unique perspective that the Impressionists brought to painting.
(E) It provides a concrete illustration of the far-reaching philosophical implications of Impressionism. - Correct

4. According to the passage, the Impressionists believed that the atmosphere

(A) reflects light with varying intensity
(B) creates the illusion of color in colorless surfaces
(C) modifies the shapes of objects – Correct: “The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere, which modified it.”
(D) is the result of vibrations of light
(E) affects the way we perceived color

5. The author’s use of the term “mosaic of colors” (line 32) suggests that Impressionist paintings were characterized by
(A) discontinuous dabs of unmixed pigment – not correct: “The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects”
(B) broad, sweeping brush strokes – cannot be inferred from the info given
(C) clearly defined forms and objects – not correct: “The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck”
(D) subjects devoid of emotive or literary qualities - correct
(E) the glowing reds, greens, and midnight blues of stained glass – we cannot conclude the concrete colors

6. The passage contains information that answers which of the following questions?
I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter? – Yes: “The interest of the object upon which it plays is secondary.”
II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting? – Yes, it’s light.
III. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists? – Although it’ s said that “Color, formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface.”, nothing is said about the view of 19 cent artists.
(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only - correct
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

7. The ideas attributed to the Impressionists in the passage suggest that an Impressionist painter would be most likely to agree with which of the following statement?
(A) A picture is significant primarily as a manifestation of the artist’s mental state.
(B) The highest purpose of art is to teach religious truths. – not correct: “all ideas—religious, moral, psychological—were excluded”
(C) The quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts. – correct: the third paragraph explains that the color and shape of the objects are the work of the artist.
(D) An artist should strive to recreate on canvas the inner nature of objects from real life.
(E) It is futile to attempt to paint pictures that aim to copy the optical appearance of the world.

It would be good to see the OA and OE….. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [7]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: Marshall '19
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philoso [#permalink]
Kudos
r0ckst4r wrote:
Can someone explain 6?. I feel like II was mentioned when they defined what an impressionist painting is? The unifying element is LIGHT . Are we sure we have the correct OA?

thangvietnam wrote:
answer to question 6 should be C.
not B.

the 3 last questions are hard.

WaterFlowsUp wrote:
This passage made me sweat. 17 minutes and only 3 correct. Last 3 questions require discussion seriously!!!!

"For the view of matter that the Impressionists assumed differed profoundly from the view that had previously prevailed among artists. This view helped to unify the artistic works created in the new style.
The ancient Greeks had conceived of the world in concrete terms, even endowing abstract qualities with bodies. This Greek view of matter persisted, so far as painting was concerned, into the nineteenth century. The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality.”

This entire part of the passage give you the answer to whether each of the three statements for Q6 is true:

I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter? only mentions that they perceived matter differently than previous artists.

II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting? only mentions that this different view helped unify the artistic works created in the new style; does not say WHAT the unifying element was.

II. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists? directly mentions it in this part, "The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as the ultimate visual reality.”
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
6. The passage contains information that answers which of the following questions?
I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter? We know that they didn't perceive matter as an ultimate reality but we didn't know "how they perceive matter"
II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting?

The people, places, and things depicted in an Impressionist picture do not tell story or convey any special meaning; they are, instead, merely parts of pattern of light drawn from nature and captured on canvas by the artist. I thought this is the unifying element in impressionist painting.
II. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists?
(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

4. According to the passage, the Impressionists believed that the atmosphere
(A) reflects light with varying intensity
(B) creates the illusion of color in colorless surfaces
(C) modifies the shapes of objects
(D) is the result of vibrations of light
(E) affects the way we perceived color

Atmosphere is not modifying the shape of object. The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere, which modified it => I think this "it" is "light" and not "shape of object"

7. The ideas attributed to the Impressionists in the passage suggest that an Impressionist painter would be most likely to agree with which of the following statement?

(C) The quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts.
(D) An artist should strive to recreate on canvas the inner nature of objects from real life Incorrect

Can somebody explain "what is quality of picture here"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
plz experts provide explanations for q4,5,6. as v all r unable to digest oa's.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 112
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
ashish8814 wrote:
plz experts provide explanations for q4,5,6. as v all r unable to digest oa's.

Hey! Even I'm unable to understand Q5 and Q6 but here goes for Q4:

The line in the passage reads- "light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere, which modified it."

Option E correctly says that atmosphere affected the way we perceived color (that was generated when light was reflected with varying intensity. Understand it from the concept of rainbow formation we studied in science. White light when reflected with varying intensities give spectrum of 7 colors) because atmosphere modified it.

Hope I make sense to you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Kudos
LogicGuru1 wrote:
7 correct out of 7 (was a little confused in 6th but got it right finally)
Total time:- 4 minute (reading, note making and answering )

Whatever you are saying, if they are true then how did you achieve this mind-blowing RC technique? I really want to know. And I am asking you seriously as I want to improve my RC score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
The passage is easy to understand but the questions take toll. 14 min - 5 correct.

Hi GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please share your views on Q5,Q6,Q7

Thanks in advance :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
devanshu92 wrote:
The passage is easy to understand but the questions take toll. 14 min - 5 correct.

Hi GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please share your views on Q5,Q6,Q7

Thanks in advance :)

Hey

I didnt understand question 4, can you heelp to explain it?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos