Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:52) correct 64% (01:04) wrong based on 175 sessions
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.
A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

Please explain the usage of Participle in +ing and --ed form. I am totally confused with this structure when i use parallelism to determine the correct answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Query Regarding Modifiers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 20:39
nipun1987 wrote:
Please explain the usage of Participle in +ing and --ed form. I am totally confused with this structure when i use parallelism to determine the correct answer.

My answer is D because it maintains parallelism. Here, participles are used on both sides of 'and' (originating and perpetuated). Ethnic and cultural heritages are in a state of flux (so continuous - originating is used) and geographic isolation is fixed (so past - perpetuated is used).

Hope it helps!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 8

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects...

The use of HAS LED indicates that the change in dialects is an on-going process. Eliminiate A,B and C

Between D and E

perpetuating by..is incorrect , so choose (D)

kindly give kudos if my post was useful to you..need kudos !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 20:55
Its a tricky question, but still I did not get few things.
1. The increased popularity has done how many things? if two things decline of RD and decline of LV, then why there is no ,and between RD and LV.
2. where is the parallelism marker in the sentence?
3. Why not two independent clauses have been joined with ,FANBOYS?

need detailed explanation of this question, specially sentence structure with meaning.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [3] , given: 2

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
vivmechster wrote:
1. The increased popularity has done how many things? if two things decline of RD and decline of LV, then why there is no ,and between RD and LV.

need detailed explanation of this question, specially sentence structure with meaning.

Hi

Here goes my bit-

Increased popularity has led to only one thing - "decline of regional dialects"

"language variation... isolation" describes "regional dialects".

Structure-

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects,(language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation. ) - modifier

WHICH needs a comma before it.
Originate (present verb) is not parallel to perpetuated (participle)

Originated (past verb) is not parallel to perpetuated (participle)

"Originated" refers to a point in past and thus can't be an action. It's incorrectly used as participle here.

More on this-

The Middle Assyrian Empire, which originated in the 14th century BC, facilitated the use of Akkadian as a 'lingua franca...
Originated used as verb.

Originating in the 14th century BC, The Middle Assyrian Empire facililitated.....
Originating used as participle

originating (present participle) is parallel to perpetuated (past participle)- Parallel

perpetuating By is imprecise. Needs passive voice.

Answer D

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 41

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 23:35
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
vivmechster wrote:

Hi

Here goes my bit-

Increased popularity has led to only one thing - "decline of regional dialects"

"language variation... isolation" describes "regional dialects".

Structure-

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects,(language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation. ) - modifier

WHICH needs a comma before it.
Originate (present verb) is not parallel to perpetuated (participle)

Originated (past verb) is not parallel to perpetuated (participle)

"Originated" refers to a point in past and thus can't be an action. It's incorrectly used as participle here.

More on this-

The Middle Assyrian Empire, which originated in the 14th century BC, facilitated the use of Akkadian as a 'lingua franca...
Originated used as verb.

Originating in the 14th century BC, The Middle Assyrian Empire facililitated.....
Originating used as participle

originating (present participle) is parallel to perpetuated (past participle)- Parallel

Answer D

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

Hi Dolly,

Can you please help me understand why "originated" in option C be considered as modifier..

C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

"perpetuated" is a modifier and not a verb as language variations is the doer of the action.

"originated" is a modifier as diverse ethnic is doing the action.

In the same way, the two modifiers need to be parallel, so why can't "originated" act as a modifier here??

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 01:49
Quote:

Hi Dolly,

Can you please help me understand why "originated" in option C be considered as modifier..

C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

"perpetuated" is a modifier and not a verb as language variations is the doer of the action.

In the same way, the two modifiers need to be parallel, so why can't "originated" act as a modifier here??

Hi

You, yourself, have answered this.

As you mentioned:

We can not use "originated" for "doing the action"..... It indicates a specific point in past and can not be used for an ongoing process/ present action.

Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 12:17
First I will ask what is the source of this problem:
Second explanations provided above are not up to the mark.

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

Following is my analysis.
In absolute Phrase modifiers we prefer restrictive clause over non restrictive clause; I mean prefer that over which.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- originate is in present tense which conveys a fact, but perpetuated is in past tense. Thus, we can reject this choice, considering parallelism issue.

B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- ed modifier no grammatical error.

C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- ed modifier no grammatical error.

D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- ing modifier and ed modifier no grammatical error both acting as adjective to language variations.

E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating -- ing modifier no grammatical issue.

For more detail refer Chapter 11 - page 220 of MGMAT SC -- under topic "What else is considered Parallel" : Adjective, Past Participle and Present Participle (used as adjective). Above all elements whether -ed or -ing are modifying the noun language variations and are acting like adjective. Thus, elements are logically parallel to each other.

Further any expert can us help to identify subtle differences in above options.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 08:30
The incorrect options do not contain important words:

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and "are" perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and "were" perpetuated
C. originated ("incorrect use of word") from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating ("incorrect use of word"; perpetuating what?)

In C, the verb "originate" is used as an adjective.
In E, "perpetuate" is used without a noun. "Perpetuate" is a transitive verb that requires an object. For e.g. one perpetuates a myth.

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 13:45
PiyushK wrote:
First I will ask what is the source of this problem:
Second explanations provided above are not up to the mark.

Following is my analysis.
In absolute Phrase modifiers we prefer restrictive clause over non restrictive clause; I mean prefer that over which.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- originate is in present tense which conveys a fact, but perpetuated is in past tense. Thus, we can reject this choice, considering parallelism issue.

B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- ed modifier no grammatical error.

C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- ed modifier no grammatical error.

D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated -- ing modifier and ed modifier no grammatical error both acting as adjective to language variations.

E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating -- ing modifier no grammatical issue.

For more detail refer Chapter 11 - page 220 of MGMAT SC -- under topic "What else is considered Parallel" : Adjective, Past Participle and Present Participle (used as adjective). Above all elements whether -ed or -ing are modifying the noun language variations and are acting like adjective. Thus, elements are logically parallel to each other.

Further any expert can us help to identify subtle differences in above options.

My take on the above: For B & C I feel the word originated' conveys a meaning that all the dialects have already originated & no longer do they originate these days..

Between D & E: I cannot figure out any errors in these..

Also,
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

Can you please elaborate on this... why is it imprecise to use perpetuating by?

I enjoy the divine serenity of the view while walking by the lake
This is not passive & seems to be correct.

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 03:59
JusTLucK04 wrote:
My take on the above: For B & C I feel the word originated' conveys a meaning that all the dialects have already originated & no longer do they originate these days..

Between D & E: I cannot figure out any errors in these..

Also,

Hi, I think except A all other options are grammatically correct, but option A set an important context. In option A author is presenting a general fact that variations originate from ... blah blah.. and D is more parallel in tone to A than any other option.
Overall I can say this question is not matching the standard of official questions.
OA is still debatable.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 04:08
There is no problem with this question. The errors have to do with parallelism, but also with the verb tenses, the parts of speech (of originate and perpetuate), and voice (for e.g. language variations are perpetuated (i.e. increased) by geographical isolation--here, you cannot use "perpetuating").

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 05:41
Quote:

Can you please elaborate on this... why is it imprecise to use perpetuating by?

I enjoy the divine serenity of the view while walking by the lake
This is not passive & seems to be correct.

Sure!

The way you've used 'by' is not the way it has been used in the sentence.

In the example you've stated, 'by' means 'close by'

However, in the sentence, 'by' means 'by means of or through the act of'

So both the usages cannot be compared.

Coming to the question, The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations ... by geographic isolation.

'by' in the context requires past participle form for verb.

X is perpetuating by Y - Incorrect.
X is perpetuated by Y - Correct

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2014, 05:41