Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 7

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:59) correct 58% (01:06) wrong based on 69 sessions
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.
(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

Please explain how is originating and perpetuated parallel in form ??
I have been breaking my head for quite sometime ... guess i am missing something important here.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2414 [0], given: 693

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 13:03
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 930 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Shikhar,

No need to break your head

(A) which originate (Simple past) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (past participle) -- not parallel
(B) that originated ("that" makes originated in simple past) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (past participle) -- not parallel
(C) originated (simple past) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (past participle) -- not parallel
(D) originating (present participle) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (Past participle) -- parallel construction and the correct answer choice
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating ("Perpetuating by" construction is awkward and distorts the meaning)

I have been breaking my head for quite sometime ... guess i am missing something important here.

The correct answer choice is (D) because it makes the sentence parallel. The rule that is followed here is

-- The participles in the both the structures should be parallel; they may or may not be in the same tense

In (D) present participle originating parallels the past participle perpetuated <--- this is what grammar says

You must be confused seeing one in present and one in past. We have to understand the meaning of the original sentence to determine the tense.

The language variations are perpetuated by geographical isolation (Isolation did not take place in the present so perpetuating is incorrect; moreover perpetuating makes the construction awkward); however these variations are still originating "from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages"

OG12 question No. 42 tests a similar parallel structure, analyze this question and try to thoroughly understand the solution.

Use 1000 series with caution. Majority of the questions have no issue, but the incorrect ones may waste a lot of your time and could even confuse you. Moreover there is no reliable source of explanations for these questions.

Hope it helps

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 07:12
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.
(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

e-GMAT/Shardhha,
Can you please come up with your detailed analysis and help me understand why C is wrong and D is correct ?

Appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-07-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 22:12
Vercules wrote:
Hi Shikhar,

No need to break your head

(A) which originate (Simple past) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (past participle) -- not parallel
(B) that originated ("that" makes originated in simple past) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (past participle) -- not parallel
(C) originated (simple past) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (past participle) -- not parallel
(D) originating (present participle) from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated (Past participle) -- parallel construction and the correct answer choice
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating ("Perpetuating by" construction is awkward and distorts the meaning)

The correct answer choice is (D) because it makes the sentence parallel. The rule that is followed here is

-- The participles in the both the structures should be parallel; they may or may not be in the same tense

In (D) present participle originating parallels the past participle perpetuated <--- this is what grammar says

You must be confused seeing one in present and one in past. We have to understand the meaning of the original sentence to determine the tense.

The language variations are perpetuated by geographical isolation (Isolation did not take place in the present so perpetuating is incorrect; moreover perpetuating makes the construction awkward); however these variations are still originating "from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages"

OG12 question No. 42 tests a similar parallel structure, analyze this question and try to thoroughly understand the solution.

Use 1000 series with caution. Majority of the questions have no issue, but the incorrect ones may waste a lot of your time and could even confuse you. Moreover there is no reliable source of explanations for these questions.

Hope it helps

Vercules

I did not understand.
C looks more parallel than D.
How can present particle and past particle be parallel and in C why originated is simple past ?
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 22:12