Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 07:33
Good to see you back in the forum Vivek! Give that cute little daughter of your`s a big sloppy wet kiss on the forehead for me.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 07:58
GMATT73 wrote:
Good to see you back in the forum Vivek! Give that cute little daughter of your`s a big sloppy wet kiss on the forehead for me.


Yeah, thanks Matt, I'll surely do that on your behalf...& here she comes back as my avatar :)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 931
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 18:48
vivek123 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
Good to see you back in the forum Vivek! Give that cute little daughter of your`s a big sloppy wet kiss on the forehead for me.


Yeah, thanks Matt, I'll surely do that on your behalf...& here she comes back as my avatar :)


Welcome back Vivek with your lovely daughter.
A Smiling flower for her. :flower

Regards,
Brajesh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 18:53
zoom612 wrote:
Sorry guys from digressing.....

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.


I was wondering,shouldn't the original sentence have a 'have' instead of a 'has'??? :o


It's 'has been' instead of 'have been' because 'popularity' is singular
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 18:56
We need a past tense 'originated' because the language variations took place in the past, and not the present --> Down to B and C

I'm going with B because 'that' modifies 'language variations'
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 931
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 04:25
selene wrote:
^ D ^

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.


||lism of participles. 1st participle is active and the 2nd one is passive.


Selene,

Could you please give some more examples?

Regards,
Brajesh
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 08:07
I think it is about the time to hear the OA!!! Please!!!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 15:50
b14kumar wrote:
selene wrote:
^ D ^

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.


||lism of participles. 1st participle is active and the 2nd one is passive.


Selene,

Could you please give some more examples?

Regards,
Brajesh



I am sooo :sleep , but seeing your question, I couldn't leave :P ..

>> We landed on X, a planet created million years ago and orbiting around Y.
(Now the 1st participle is passive and 2nd is active)

>> Vitamin C, increasing the effectiveness of defence system and produced by plants and some animals, can't be produced by human body.
(1st participle is active, 2nd is passive)

Hope this helps ..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 931
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 18:45
selene wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
selene wrote:
^ D ^

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.


||lism of participles. 1st participle is active and the 2nd one is passive.


Selene,

Could you please give some more examples?

Regards,
Brajesh



I am sooo :sleep , but seeing your question, I couldn't leave :P ..

>> We landed on X, a planet created million years ago and orbiting around Y.
(Now the 1st participle is passive and 2nd is active)

>> Vitamin C, increasing the effectiveness of defence system and produced by plants and some animals, can't be produced by human body.
(1st participle is active, 2nd is passive)

Hope this helps ..


Yes your examples have helped me understand the concept.

Thanks Selene.

:thanks

Regards,
Brajesh
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 111
Location: Louvain, Belgium
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2006, 08:44
most clearly D ...
others do not have a clear structure
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2006, 21:15
I think E. dialects are language variations originating originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating by geographic isolation.

The sentence says The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects and then it explains what dialects mean.
_________________

Amit
--------------------------------
A Journey towards my goals
--------------------------------

  [#permalink] 22 Jun 2006, 21:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has arjsingh1976 13 23 Nov 2006, 13:12
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has giddi77 3 15 Apr 2006, 10:39
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has rahuluec 2 13 Oct 2005, 01:27
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has sgrover 2 23 Sep 2005, 03:15
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has banerjeea_98 10 03 May 2005, 12:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.