Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 01:28
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

A good explanation from demon on this one, but I just wanted to weigh in. This is a GMAT favorite trick, because students don't like paralleling -ing words with -ed words. However, when both are parallel this is okay. Remember, you can always change tense in parallel, even with verbs ("I liked to eat chicken but now I only like pork." That's past tense with present tense, joined by the conjunction "but"). But actually, tense isn't an issue here. Both -ing words and -ed words are participles, meaning they are just adjectives. Adjectives don't really HAVE tense (because they aren't verbs), so that's a second reason we shouldn't care. "Perpetuated" in this case is just passive, where as "originating" is active.

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
PROBLEM: (First, which needs a comma before it). Okay, so it's the SECOND "and" here that marks the parallelism we care about (the other "and" parallels ethnic and cultural heritages, and is always correct). We're always concerned with whatever comes DIRECTLY after the parallel marker. In this case, we get "perpetuated". This is a participle, so we need another one earlier in the sentence. Instead, we get "originate", which is a present tense verb.

(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
PROBLEM: Again, we look after the marker "and" and find the participle "perpetuated". Unfortunately, "originated" here is a past tense verb, not a participle. How do we know? Consider the difference here:

I read the book. ("read" = past tense verb...it has a subject in the main clause, "I")
Read by millions, the book is one of the nation's most popular. ("read" = past participle, it's just a modifier, and we don't get the subject until it's the subject of a new clause "the book is...")

(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
PROBLEM: "Originated" can't be an action. This is just a misuse of the word. It may look parallel, but the participle of "originate" is "originating". Think about it. You can't put this in the past, because the word itself implies the past origin of something, even in the present tense (i.e. Originating in 1200 BC, the codex is the key to life itself).

(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
ANSWER: Perpetuated = participle. Originating = participle. Parallel.

(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating
PROBLEM: "Perpetuating by" doesn't make any sense. We need it to be passive, not active.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy, you mean to say was originated doesnt exist?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 21:43
D sounded better to me but i picked C because i thot "originated" and "perpetuated" are parallel :(
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 156

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:34
Thanks Tommy for explanations!

Guys only think about the meaning of those two different words and read the following below:

Present participle is used in progressive tenses (continous tense).Also may be used as a noun, a noun modifier or a verb modifier. Tend to indicate ongoing action not necessarily at the present moment. Formed by adding -ing at the end.

Past participle used in perfect tenses and passive voice. It is also used as adjective. Tend to indicate completed action, although not necessarily in the past. (the tires will be punctured) Formed by edding -ed or -d at verb.
source MGMAT SC book.

originating - is not a completed action
perpetuated - is completed action.

:) i like kudos

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 07:16
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

A good explanation from demon on this one, but I just wanted to weigh in. This is a GMAT favorite trick, because students don't like paralleling -ing words with -ed words. However, when both are parallel this is okay. Remember, you can always change tense in parallel, even with verbs ("I liked to eat chicken but now I only like pork." That's past tense with present tense, joined by the conjunction "but"). But actually, tense isn't an issue here. Both -ing words and -ed words are participles, meaning they are just adjectives. Adjectives don't really HAVE tense (because they aren't verbs), so that's a second reason we shouldn't care. "Perpetuated" in this case is just passive, where as "originating" is active.

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

PROBLEM: (First, which needs a comma before it). Okay, so it's the SECOND "and" here that marks the parallelism we care about (the other "and" parallels ethnic and cultural heritages, and is always correct). We're always concerned with whatever comes DIRECTLY after the parallel marker. In this case, we get "perpetuated". This is a participle, so we need another one earlier in the sentence. Instead, we get "originate", which is a present tense verb.

PROBLEM: Again, we look after the marker "and" and find the participle "perpetuated". Unfortunately, "originated" here is a past tense verb, not a participle. How do we know? Consider the difference here:

I read the book. ("read" = past tense verb...it has a subject in the main clause, "I")
Read by millions, the book is one of the nation's most popular. ("read" = past participle, it's just a modifier, and we don't get the subject until it's the subject of a new clause "the book is...")

PROBLEM: "Originated" can't be an action. This is just a misuse of the word. It may look parallel, but the participle of "originate" is "originating". Think about it. You can't put this in the past, because the word itself implies the past origin of something, even in the present tense (i.e. Originating in 1200 BC, the codex is the key to life itself).

PROBLEM: "Perpetuating by" doesn't make any sense. We need it to be passive, not active.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy , great explanation. But this approach will work only one knows "perpetuated" is a participle and a participle is required to correct the SC.
1. How do I find/check if a SC needs a participle or a verb?
2. Is Perpetuate - verb ?If yes what is the past tense of "perpetuate"?
I will appreciate your help here. Thanks.
-Goalsnr
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 06:14
Great question this!

Present participle in parallel with a past participle...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 08:17
If this were the test I would pick D.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 03:12

Can anybody please tell me why "HAS" (NOT Have) is used in the above problem (non-underlined part) ??
Thanks.
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 376

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 03:19
rishabh26jain wrote:

Can anybody please tell me why "HAS" (NOT Have) is used in the above problem (non-underlined part) ??
Thanks.

Good question!! No idea!! I think "have" makes sense because both "Increased popularity AND availability" have led to the decline. Use of "and" makes it plural. Anybody?

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 02:44
Good explaination by TommyWallach. selected D considering perpetuated as adjective.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 02:48
rishabh26jain wrote:

Thanks.

May be because "THE" used at the start of the sentence

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Expert Post
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 2477 [0], given: 693

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 13:52
Expert's post
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy, when I scan your explenations everything become so clear..........thanks a lot . you are the man :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.12
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: regional dialects [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 07:57
Quote:
but the participle of "originate" is "originating".

Hi TommyWallach,

Can you give me more examples of the above kind of words ??

Maverick%^%^

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:09
Expert's post
One key thing to remember as well as to be noted down is:
Whenever an object is treated as the subject, then active voice with ing form of the verb will be correct. When some action is made upon that object, then passive voice with ed form of the verb is used.
In the question, regional dialects are being used as subject( originating) and object( perpetuated).
This is an important concept and GMAT likes to play with it.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 15:30
good question.

thanks for the explanation tommy. kudos to you

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 02:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 291

Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 20:41
The key for me were the words 'has declined'. Originated would mean that they are done and dusted. But that is not the case. Hence I chose originating.
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2013, 20:41