Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produ

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produ [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 09:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:32) correct 22% (00:48) wrong based on 64 sessions
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.

A) making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of
B) making possible the mass production of manufactured goods, marked by the use of
C) which made it possible that manufactured goods were mass-produced, was marked by their using
D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of
E) which made the mass production of manufactured goods possible and was marked by using

A,B,C is awkward...but IMO D and E both have problem....OA later..
ps_dahiya: Underlined
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

Last edited by Narenn on 12 Sep 2013, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Moved. Always post the topic in relevant forum
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 09:52
D. see nothing wrong with D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 10:06
I would go in this case for D considering that is the most sound even If I do not really like the use of which considering that introduce a modifier non essential in nature and this is not the case...

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 10:28
another one for D

E looks bad because of "using" and "which" part is not set off by commas continuing the sentence... so it's gotta be wrong.

A and C have the pronoun "their" that isn't clear
B has my favorite type of problem... standing gerund by itself... "making"... it implies an action, so it isn't playing a role of a noun! so B is OUT.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:29
thanx...yup E is wrong
but.

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of

is it ok?

I think it should be

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of

Plz explain it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:32
jeunesis wrote:
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.

A) making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of
B) making possible the mass production of manufactured goods, marked by the use of
C) which made it possible that manufactured goods were mass-produced, was marked by their using
E) which made the mass production of manufactured goods possible and was marked by using

D for me as well.
Cannot be E, since the sentence is not complete.
D has a complete sentence.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:37
Going for D. Which makes sense here and others, except D, are out as per U2 explanation.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:39
no offense...but i'm asking.. which one is better or no problem....

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of

:roll:

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 12:39
jeunesis wrote:

my take on this is that 1st option stresses "made" possible vs. impossible, whereas 2nd stresses mass-production as possible... I believe these 2 have slightly different meanings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 13:05
u2lover wrote:
jeunesis wrote:

my take on this is that 1st option stresses "made" possible vs. impossible, whereas 2nd stresses mass-production as possible... I believe these 2 have slightly different meanings.

E is not even a complete sentence..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 13:38
jeunesis wrote:

D makes the most sense...
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 02:26
Will go with D.

A/C - S-V disagreement.
B - very awkward.
E - not a complete sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 03:47
u2lover wrote:
another one for D

E looks bad because of "using" and "which" part is not set off by commas continuing the sentence... so it's gotta be wrong.

B has my favorite type of problem... standing gerund by itself... "making"... it implies an action, so it isn't playing a role of a noun! so B is OUT.

Even I go for D ....

U2... can you explain a bit more - the error with B...
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 07:44
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
another one for D

Even I go for D ....

ok... are you ready? hammer this down... this is important!!!

Gerund is a base form of the verb without article "TO" but with "-ING" in the end.

Gerund is NOT A VERB when it stands alone, w/out "TO BE"... Gerund with a verb usually indicates the continuous process during a specific time.
I am typing... at this moment
I was watching tennis during the day yesterday. (during the day is a time stretch... so I was continuously watching tennis)
... these are gerunds with "to be" and they play verbs here

gerund can be a noun
Watching tennis on TV is not as fun as watching it in the stadium. "Watching tennis" plays the role of the noun.

to the question...

note that "making it possible..." is a modifier for Industrial Revolution... it describes it... Revolution is a subject and a noun... we need a verb here to show that it makes something possible...

does it make sense?

I don't mean to act as I know everthing... so other people are welcome to comment...
:wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:06
u2lover wrote:
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
another one for D

Even I go for D ....

ok... are you ready? hammer this down... this is important!!!

Gerund is a base form of the verb without article "TO" but with "-ING" in the end.

Gerund is NOT A VERB when it stands alone, w/out "TO BE"... Gerund with a verb usually indicates the continuous process during a specific time.
I am typing... at this moment
I was watching tennis during the day yesterday. (during the day is a time stretch... so I was continuously watching tennis)
... these are gerunds with "to be" and they play verbs here

gerund can be a noun
Watching tennis on TV is not as fun as watching it in the stadium. "Watching tennis" plays the role of the noun.

to the question...

note that "making it possible..." is a modifier for Industrial Revolution... it describes it... Revolution is a subject and a noun... we need a verb here to show that it makes something possible...

does it make sense?

I don't mean to act as I know everthing... so other people are welcome to comment...
:wink:

It does ... thanks mate....Is including a gerund.... If so I have seen it being used in such situations...

Generally we have -ing words after such commas... would they be wrong then...
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:15
is including... is a verb...

I am including attachment to this email.
Are you including the letter with your application?

but here it isn't a verb...
All of her friends, including BONO, were at the u2lover's party when she passed the freaking GMAT.
Here including isn't a verb... [, including BONO,] modifies friends, but friends is not a subject it is a prep. phrase [of her friends] -> All WERE at the party.... may be this isn't a best example, as one might say "all of the friends" is a subject... but I couldn't think of a better one :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:19
u2lover wrote:

All of her friends, including BONO, were at the u2lover's party when she passed the freaking GMAT.
Here including isn't a verb... [, including BONO,] modifies friends, but friends is not a subject it is a prep. phrase [of her friends] -> All WERE at the party.... may be this isn't a best example, as one might say "all of the friends" is a subject... but I couldn't think of a better one :-D

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:22
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
u2lover wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about... if you can give an example :?: which commas... "including" was after a comma
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 01:34
The Right answer is D.

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of.

http://www.somatextiles.com/home.php/te ... g-industry
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 10:11
:-D thank you for realizing that. i agree with your point. D which made xxx possible

quote="u2lover"]
jeunesis wrote:

my take on this is that 1st option stresses "made" possible vs. impossible, whereas 2nd stresses mass-production as possible... I believe these 2 have slightly different meanings.[/quote]
Re:   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 10:11