Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produ

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 157
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produ [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 09:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:32) correct 22% (00:48) wrong based on 64 sessions
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.


A) making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of
B) making possible the mass production of manufactured goods, marked by the use of
C) which made it possible that manufactured goods were mass-produced, was marked by their using
D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of
E) which made the mass production of manufactured goods possible and was marked by using



A,B,C is awkward...but IMO D and E both have problem....OA later..
ps_dahiya: Underlined
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Stay hungry, Stay foolish


Last edited by Narenn on 12 Sep 2013, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Moved. Always post the topic in relevant forum
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 09:52
D. see nothing wrong with D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 246
Location: Italy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 10:06
I would go in this case for D considering that is the most sound even If I do not really like the use of which considering that introduce a modifier non essential in nature and this is not the case...
_________________

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 10:28
another one for D

E looks bad because of "using" and "which" part is not set off by commas continuing the sentence... so it's gotta be wrong.

A and C have the pronoun "their" that isn't clear
B has my favorite type of problem... standing gerund by itself... "making"... it implies an action, so it isn't playing a role of a noun! so B is OUT.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 157
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:29
thanx...yup E is wrong
but.

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of

is it ok?

I think it should be

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of

Plz explain it
_________________

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 381
Location: Phoenix AZ
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:32
jeunesis wrote:
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.


A) making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of
B) making possible the mass production of manufactured goods, marked by the use of
C) which made it possible that manufactured goods were mass-produced, was marked by their using
D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of
E) which made the mass production of manufactured goods possible and was marked by using



A,B,C is awkward...but IMO D and E both have problem....OA later..


D for me as well.
Cannot be E, since the sentence is not complete.
D has a complete sentence.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 532
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:37
Going for D. Which makes sense here and others, except D, are out as per U2 explanation.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 157
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 11:39
no offense...but i'm asking.. which one is better or no problem....

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of


:roll:
_________________

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 12:39
jeunesis wrote:
no offense...but i'm asking.. which one is better or no problem....

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of

:roll:


my take on this is that 1st option stresses "made" possible vs. impossible, whereas 2nd stresses mass-production as possible... I believe these 2 have slightly different meanings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 381
Location: Phoenix AZ
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 13:05
u2lover wrote:
jeunesis wrote:
no offense...but i'm asking.. which one is better or no problem....

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of

:roll:


my take on this is that 1st option stresses "made" possible vs. impossible, whereas 2nd stresses mass-production as possible... I believe these 2 have slightly different meanings.


E is not even a complete sentence..
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 761
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 13:38
jeunesis wrote:
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.


A) making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of
B) making possible the mass production of manufactured goods, marked by the use of
C) which made it possible that manufactured goods were mass-produced, was marked by their using
D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of
E) which made the mass production of manufactured goods possible and was marked by using



A,B,C is awkward...but IMO D and E both have problem....OA later..


D makes the most sense...
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 02:26
Will go with D.

A/C - S-V disagreement.
B - very awkward.
E - not a complete sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 03:47
u2lover wrote:
another one for D

E looks bad because of "using" and "which" part is not set off by commas continuing the sentence... so it's gotta be wrong.

A and C have the pronoun "their" that isn't clear
B has my favorite type of problem... standing gerund by itself... "making"... it implies an action, so it isn't playing a role of a noun! so B is OUT.


Even I go for D ....

U2... can you explain a bit more - the error with B...
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 07:44
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
another one for D

E looks bad because of "using" and "which" part is not set off by commas continuing the sentence... so it's gotta be wrong.

A and C have the pronoun "their" that isn't clear
B has my favorite type of problem... standing gerund by itself... "making"... it implies an action, so it isn't playing a role of a noun! so B is OUT.


Even I go for D ....

U2... can you explain a bit more - the error with B...


ok... are you ready? hammer this down... this is important!!!

Gerund is a base form of the verb without article "TO" but with "-ING" in the end.

Gerund is NOT A VERB when it stands alone, w/out "TO BE"... Gerund with a verb usually indicates the continuous process during a specific time.
I am typing... at this moment
I was watching tennis during the day yesterday. (during the day is a time stretch... so I was continuously watching tennis)
... these are gerunds with "to be" and they play verbs here

gerund can be a noun
Watching tennis on TV is not as fun as watching it in the stadium. "Watching tennis" plays the role of the noun.

to the question...

The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.

note that "making it possible..." is a modifier for Industrial Revolution... it describes it... Revolution is a subject and a noun... we need a verb here to show that it makes something possible...

does it make sense?

I don't mean to act as I know everthing... so other people are welcome to comment...
:wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:06
u2lover wrote:
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
another one for D

E looks bad because of "using" and "which" part is not set off by commas continuing the sentence... so it's gotta be wrong.

A and C have the pronoun "their" that isn't clear
B has my favorite type of problem... standing gerund by itself... "making"... it implies an action, so it isn't playing a role of a noun! so B is OUT.


Even I go for D ....

U2... can you explain a bit more - the error with B...


ok... are you ready? hammer this down... this is important!!!

Gerund is a base form of the verb without article "TO" but with "-ING" in the end.

Gerund is NOT A VERB when it stands alone, w/out "TO BE"... Gerund with a verb usually indicates the continuous process during a specific time.
I am typing... at this moment
I was watching tennis during the day yesterday. (during the day is a time stretch... so I was continuously watching tennis)
... these are gerunds with "to be" and they play verbs here

gerund can be a noun
Watching tennis on TV is not as fun as watching it in the stadium. "Watching tennis" plays the role of the noun.

to the question...

The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produce manufactured goods, was marked by their use of new machines, new energy sources, and new basic materials.

note that "making it possible..." is a modifier for Industrial Revolution... it describes it... Revolution is a subject and a noun... we need a verb here to show that it makes something possible...

does it make sense?

I don't mean to act as I know everthing... so other people are welcome to comment...
:wink:


It does ... thanks mate....Is including a gerund.... If so I have seen it being used in such situations...

Generally we have -ing words after such commas... would they be wrong then...
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:15
is including... is a verb...

I am including attachment to this email.
Are you including the letter with your application?


but here it isn't a verb...
All of her friends, including BONO, were at the u2lover's party when she passed the freaking GMAT.
Here including isn't a verb... [, including BONO,] modifies friends, but friends is not a subject it is a prep. phrase [of her friends] -> All WERE at the party.... may be this isn't a best example, as one might say "all of the friends" is a subject... but I couldn't think of a better one :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:19
u2lover wrote:
is including... is a verb...

I am including attachment to this email.
Are you including the letter with your application?


but here it isn't a verb...
All of her friends, including BONO, were at the u2lover's party when she passed the freaking GMAT.
Here including isn't a verb... [, including BONO,] modifies friends, but friends is not a subject it is a prep. phrase [of her friends] -> All WERE at the party.... may be this isn't a best example, as one might say "all of the friends" is a subject... but I couldn't think of a better one :-D


Generally we have -ing words after such commas... would they be wrong then...
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:22
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
is including... is a verb...

I am including attachment to this email.
Are you including the letter with your application?


but here it isn't a verb...
All of her friends, including BONO, were at the u2lover's party when she passed the freaking GMAT.
Here including isn't a verb... [, including BONO,] modifies friends, but friends is not a subject it is a prep. phrase [of her friends] -> All WERE at the party.... may be this isn't a best example, as one might say "all of the friends" is a subject... but I couldn't think of a better one :-D


Generally we have -ing words after such commas... would they be wrong then...


I don't know what you're talking about... if you can give an example :?: which commas... "including" was after a comma
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Industrial Revolution [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 01:34
The Right answer is D.

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of.

http://www.somatextiles.com/home.php/te ... g-industry
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Location: Netherlands
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 10:11
:-D thank you for realizing that. i agree with your point. D which made xxx possible


quote="u2lover"]
jeunesis wrote:
no offense...but i'm asking.. which one is better or no problem....

D) which made possible the mass-production of manufactured goods, was marked by the use of

D) which made the mass-production of manufactured goods possible, was marked by the use of

:roll:


my take on this is that 1st option stresses "made" possible vs. impossible, whereas 2nd stresses mass-production as possible... I believe these 2 have slightly different meanings.[/quote]
Re:   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 10:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produ jeunesis 19 23 Jul 2006, 09:44
3 During the industrial revolution, most of the government sti yuvrajsub 4 31 Aug 2013, 22:00
The Industrial Revolution required levels of financing which ghentu 6 06 Dec 2009, 18:43
998). The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to x2suresh 14 17 Jul 2008, 11:20
The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to KC 5 22 Oct 2006, 12:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Industrial Revolution, making it possible to mass-produ

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.