Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Geometryx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [47]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [18]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [4]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: The inside of a rectangular carton is 48 centimeters long, 32 centimet [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

The inside of a rectangular carton is 48 centimeters long, 32 centimeters wide, and 15 centimeters high. The carton is filled to capacity with k identical cylindrical cans of fruit that stand upright in rows and columns, as indicated in the figure above. If the cans are 15 centimeters high, what is the value of k?

(1) Each of the cans has a radius of 4 centimeters --> radius=4 means that diameter=8, which implies that along the 48 centimeter length of the carton 48/8=6 cans can be placed and along the 32 centimeter width of the carton 32/8=4 cans can be placed. Thus, k=6*4=24. Sufficient.

(2) Six of the cans fit exactly along the length of the carton --> the diameter of the can is 48/6=8 centimeters. So, we have the same info as above. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Kudos points given to everyone with correct solution. Let me know if I missed someone.

I know the measurement of the carton, which is 48*32. Now the can's radius is 4 cm. Although the height of the carton is the same as the height of the cans i.e. 15, which I am ignoring as it will eventually cancel out in the calculation. My question is around the solution that is provided in the O.G. They have simply divided the length of the carton by diameter and width by diameter and then further multiplied the result.

(48/8)*(32/8)
=6*4
=24.

Btw I got the right answer since its a DS problem. I am worried coz had this been a p.s problem, I might have got this one wrong.
Now the way I would have solved this is

1st find the circumference of the circle (eliminating the height as the it is same). 2IIr=2*22/7*4
and then divided it by (48*32)/(176/7). My answer in this case is different from the OA =61.09

Why II (pie) was not considered. Why circumference was not considered instead of diameter. I failed to understand this. Can you please explain this.

Further when I use a formula for rectangle's area =L*B, where both lenght and breadth is present. But in case of circle I don't have a II(pie) anywhere. Why do we use this. What is the significance of II (pie).
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [2]
Send PM
Re: The inside of a rectangular carton is 48 centimeters long, 32 centimet [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
davidfrank wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

The inside of a rectangular carton is 48 centimeters long, 32 centimeters wide, and 15 centimeters high. The carton is filled to capacity with k identical cylindrical cans of fruit that stand upright in rows and columns, as indicated in the figure above. If the cans are 15 centimeters high, what is the value of k?

(1) Each of the cans has a radius of 4 centimeters --> radius=4 means that diameter=8, which implies that along the 48 centimeter length of the carton 48/8=6 cans can be placed and along the 32 centimeter width of the carton 32/8=4 cans can be placed. Thus, k=6*4=24. Sufficient.

(2) Six of the cans fit exactly along the length of the carton --> the diameter of the can is 48/6=8 centimeters. So, we have the same info as above. Sufficient.

Kudos points given to everyone with correct solution. Let me know if I missed someone.

I know the measurement of the carton, which is 48*32. Now the can's radius is 4 cm. Although the height of the carton is the same as the height of the cans i.e. 15, which I am ignoring as it will eventually cancel out in the calculation. My question is around the solution that is provided in the O.G. They have simply divided the length of the carton by diameter and width by diameter and then further multiplied the result.

(48/8)*(32/8)
=6*4
=24.

Btw I got the right answer since its a DS problem. I am worried coz had this been a p.s problem, I might have got this one wrong.

1st find the circumference of the circle (eliminating the height as the it is same). 2IIr=2*22/7*4
and then divided it by (48*32)/(176/7). My answer in this case is different from the OA =61.09

Why II (pie) was not considered. Why circumference was not considered instead of diameter. I failed to understand this. Can you please explain this.

Further when I use a formula for rectangle's area =L*B, where both lenght and breadth is present. But in case of circle I don't have a II(pie) anywhere. Why do we use this. What is the significance of II (pie).

Why are you calculating the circumference?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Straight forward question. You need to get the radius of the cylinders to get the number of cylinders. Both A and B help to calculate r. D wins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

(48/8)*(32/8)
=6*4
=24.

Hi Bunuel,

I am calculating the circumference because I know the area of the rectangular (ignoring the height 15 cm as it is common to both can and carton). Once I know the area, I can divide the area by circumference of the circle to know the no of cans.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
davidfrank wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:

(48/8)*(32/8)
=6*4
=24.

Hi Bunuel,

I am calculating the circumference because I know the area of the rectangular (ignoring the height 15 cm as it is common to both can and carton). Once I know the area, I can divide the area by circumference of the circle to know the no of cans.

It seems that you don't understand the question. You need neither circumference of the cans nor the area.

Simpler example might help:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 10.24 KiB | Viewed 26712 times ]
The carton is 16 centimeters long and 16 centimeters wide. If the diameter of the cans is 8 centimeters, how many cans can be placed in the carton?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM