Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to studies, people diet unusually high protein

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '16
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 04:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:17) correct 61% (01:26) wrong based on 258 sessions
According to recent studies, people whose diet is unusually high in protein are more likely to suffer from insomnia than people whose diet contains moderate amounts of protein. It is therefore likely that a diet high in protein is a cause, though perhaps not the only cause, of insomnia.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A) Diets that are high in protein are often low in foods that help keep the immune system working effectively.
B) People whose diet is unusually high in protein often have other characteristics in common, some of which are likely to cause insomnia.
C) Reducing the amount of protein in one's diet can be harmful.
D) People whose diets are unusually low in protein often experience insomnia.
E) Insomniacs who switched from high-protein diets to more moderate levels of protein intake have reported that the change was so unpleasant that it worsened their insomnia.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 155

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 02:59
Okay not all very tough question if you read it carefully

It is therefore likely that a diet high in protein is a cause, though perhaps not the only cause, of insomnia

A) Diets that are high in protein are often low in foods that help keep the immune system working effectively. - Do we talk about immune system in clause? And even after reading this I can say high protein is cause of insomania but this what I have to weaken
B) People whose diet is unusually high in protein often have other characteristics in common, some of which are likely to cause insomnia. Oh! then maybe high protein is not the cause. Let me hold this one
C) Reducing the amount of protein in one's diet can be harmful. - Still high protein is the cause of insomnia
D) People whose diets are unusually low in protein often experience insomnia. - Again I don't even care if they talk about low protien. Even after knowing the given fact, high protein is the cause of insomnia
E) Insomniacs who switched from high-protein diets to more moderate levels of protein intake have reported that the change was so unpleasant that it worsened their insomnia. Again! Still high protein is the cause of insomnia
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 23:59
the conclusion states that high protein is not the only cause of insomnia. so do v have to pick an answer which says that high protein is the only cause of insomnia.... i dunno i am confused. :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 02:12
I'm confused too. The conclusion states that high protein is not the only cause of insomnia. B states that the other characteristics maybe responsible for the insomnia. Well then B strengthens the answers. The only Option that actually weakens it, IMO, is D. Experts please???
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 4

Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 05:54
Hi Mahendru,

I think you need to re-read the question a little more thoroughly.

B does not strengthen the conclusion.

The conclusion is that Insomnia has one (but not the only) cause in people that eat a lot of protein.

B says that the people who eat protein are similar in other ways (e.g go to the gym a lot), and so whilst it looks like protein is the cause it could be another thing they have in common.

D however is not correct - the key thing here is that the passage says that protein is not the only cause. So people with low protein can still experience insomnia, but caused by something else.

Hope that helps

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 09:30
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Mahendru,

The conclusion is that Insomnia has one (but not the only) cause in people that eat a lot of protein.

B says that the people who eat protein are similar in other ways (e.g go to the gym a lot), and so whilst it looks like protein is the cause it could be another thing they have in common.

D however is not correct - the key thing here is that the passage says that protein is not the only cause. So people with low protein can still experience insomnia, but caused by something else.

Hope that helps

James

Hey Hi,
I still have a couple of doubts. I think I wasn't able to clarify them earlier in a coherent way.
Okay ahmm so I know that one way we can weaken a casual argument is by finding an alternative cause, am I right? But the argument states in the conclusion that protein can be a cause though not the only one. So my question is that if the conclusion itself is presenting an alternative cause, we cannot choose an option that states an alternative cause i.e B because that would in effect strengthen the conclusion. So what's wrong with my logic ( I know it's wrong ).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 326

CAT Tests
Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 23:30
mahendru1992 wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Mahendru,

Hope that helps

James

Hey Hi,
I still have a couple of doubts. I think I wasn't able to clarify them earlier in a coherent way.
Okay ahmm so I know that one way we can weaken a casual argument is by finding an alternative cause, am I right? But the argument states in the conclusion that protein can be a cause though not the only one. So my question is that if the conclusion itself is presenting an alternative cause, we cannot choose an option that states an alternative cause i.e B because that would in effect strengthen the conclusion. So what's wrong with my logic ( I know it's wrong ).

The conclusion is "It is therefore likely that a diet high in protein is a cause".

The option D states "D) People whose diets are unusually low in protein often experience insomnia.", so even low protein can also cause insomnia but it doesn't weaken the above conclusion.

but in the B) there is an alternate reason to cause the insomnia for people having high protein diets. The conclusion totally falls apart.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 03:28
mahendru1992 wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Mahendru,

Hope that helps

James

Hey Hi,

Hello mahendru1992,
Your point is valid.
Yet as James pointed out - your doubt can be clarified if you read the stimulus (argument) more carefully.
Here are the facts.
High protein diet -> insomnia
other things can cause insomnia too. Let's say Over exercise, games, salty food, redbull!
But the point of the argument is that High protein diets WILL result in insomnia.
I.e. Insomnia can be caused by x,y or z BUT eating high protein diets WILL cause insomnia.

The assumption is obvious: that there are no other causes at play.
option D "People whose diet is unusually high in protein often have other characteristics in common, some of which are likely to cause insomnia."
basically breaks this assumption. Let's say people who eat high protein diets are pro-athletes who work out 8 hours a day!
Now we realize that these chaps don't just eat high protein diet , but also workout 8 hrs a day. This effectively breaks the assumptions that ONLY high protein diet (for those who eat such diets) is the cause for insomnia. Perhaps the 8 hour workouts is the cause!

Hope that cleared you doubt! :)
Regards,
Ajeeth Peo
Verbal Trainer,
Crack Verbal

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 17:50
I WOULD LIKE TO ADD PLEASE....
What we are told is that High Protien causes insomnia........
Some of the answer choices give alternate reason for insomnia.....eg Less protein/ moderate protein etc. That cant weaken the argument as its an accepted fact that there can be alternatives.....
ANS " B"says''' People whose diet is unusually high in protein often have other characteristics in common, some of which are likely to cause insomnia.
What is important is that..... WHAT APPEARS TO BE DUE TO HIGH PROTIEN......... which is not disputed so far as per the argument ... MAY ACTUALLY NOT BE SO.... due to those often other characteristics in common.. When every time HIGH PROTEIN CAUSES INSOMNIA, AND OFTEN ( NOT ALL) TIMES THEY HAVE COMMON CHARACTERISTIC......HOW CAN WE SAY THAT IT IS NOT HIGH PROTEIN BUT THE COMMON CHARACTERISTIC( WHICH OCCURS 51-99% TIMES) THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED INSOMNIA. Every time A goes to a shop... there is a theft. some times or may be often B goes along..... who is the thief if no third person enters the shop..... Obviously A will be the first choice because poor B did not always go.......Does it weaken the argument ???
[b[color=#fff200]][color=#ed1c24]PLEASE EXPERTS......IF YOU COULD EXPLAIN....[/color][/b][/color]

Last edited by semwal on 21 Dec 2013, 08:38, edited 4 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 19:26
An easy way to answer weaken questions is to negate the conclusion and see which choice offers the best explanation for the negated conclusion. The answers are generally more directly verifiable.

The negated conclusion is : High protein diet does not cause insomnia.

Choice B which says that there are other reasons common to those who take high protein diet means that the other factors may in fact have actually caused insomnia and not the high protein diet. It is not a certainty but serves to strengthen the negated conclusion and so weaken the conclusion. No other choice does this.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [2] , given: 165

According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jaipster wrote:
According to recent studies, people whose diet is unusually high in protein are more likely to suffer from insomnia than people whose diet contains moderate amounts of protein. It is therefore likely that a diet high in protein is a cause, though perhaps not the only cause, of insomnia.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A) Diets that are high in protein are often low in foods that help keep the immune system working effectively.
B) People whose diet is unusually high in protein often have other characteristics in common, some of which are likely to cause insomnia.
E) Insomniacs who switched from high-protein diets to more moderate levels of protein intake have reported that the change was so unpleasant that it worsened their insomnia.

Responding to a pm:

Premises:
People with high protein diet are more likely to suffer from insomnia than people with moderate protein diet.

Conclusion:
It is likely that a diet high in protein is a cause of Insomnia.

We don't need to dwell on "perhaps not the only cause" because unless it is specifically mentioned otherwise, we understand that if A is a cause of B, A may not be the only cause. Good that the conclusion mentions it clearly but it was not really needed.

We need to weaken "a diet high in protein is a cause of Insomnia"

Out of scope. No idea how immune system affects sleep.

This says that people with high protein in their diet have some other characteristics too (e.g. too much consumption of raw foods, stressful exercise regime etc). Some of these could cause insomnia. This means that high protein may not be the cause of insomnia at all. Our conclusion says that P is a cause of insomnia. This tells us that people who have P, also have Q, R and S characteristics. Q/R or S could cause insomnia. So we can say that P may not be a cause at all. The cause is replaced by another cause. Q, R and S may not be additional causes but they might replace P since people with P have Q, R and S too. So we don't really know what is causing insomnia. Hence this weakens our conclusion.

Out of scope.

This says that low protein causes insomnia. It doesn't weaken that high protein causes insomnia. It is certainly possible that high or low amounts of something cause the same problem. Perhaps you need a balanced amount to sleep well. This is just another cause of insomnia and hence doesn't negate that high protein causes insomnia.

Out of scope. This says that "change" worsened insomnia. It doesn't mean that high protein was not causing insomnia.

Answer (B)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 06:24
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
jaipster wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Premises:
People with high protein diet are more likely to suffer from insomnia than people with moderate protein diet.

Conclusion:
It is likely that a diet high in protein is a cause of Insomnia.

We don't need to dwell on "perhaps not the only cause" because unless it is specifically mentioned otherwise, we understand that if A is a cause of B, A may not be the only cause. Good that the conclusion mentions it clearly but it was not really needed.

We need to weaken "a diet high in protein is a cause of Insomnia"

Out of scope. No idea how immune system affects sleep.

This says that people with high protein in their diet have some other characteristics too (e.g. too much consumption of raw foods, stressful exercise regime etc). Some of these could cause insomnia. This means that high protein may not be the cause of insomnia at all. Our conclusion says that P is a cause of insomnia. This tells us that people who have P, also have Q, R and S characteristics. Q/R or S could cause insomnia. So we can say that P may not be a cause at all. The cause is replaced by another cause. Q, R and S may not be additional causes but they might replace P since people with P have Q, R and S too. So we don't really know what is causing insomnia. Hence this weakens our conclusion.

Out of scope.

This says that low protein causes insomnia. It doesn't weaken that high protein causes insomnia. It is certainly possible that high or low amounts of something cause the same problem. Perhaps you need a balanced amount to sleep well. This is just another cause of insomnia and hence doesn't negate that high protein causes insomnia.

Out of scope. This says that "change" worsened insomnia. It doesn't mean that high protein was not causing insomnia.

Answer (B)

+ 1 as always solution is elegent and beautiful ....thanks
Re: According to studies, people diet unusually high protein   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2014, 06:24