Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [66]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35487 [45]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4547 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: The interior minister explained that one of the village planning [#permalink]
A. one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting - Incorrect - Awkward

B. one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking - Incorrect - Subject Verb error

C. one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract - Correct

D. a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take - Incorrect - Fragment

E. among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract - Incorrect - Fragment

Answer: C
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The interior minister explained that one of the village planning [#permalink]
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:
The interior minister explained that one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

A. one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting
B. one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking
C. one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract
D. a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take
E. among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract

The phrases one of and one of the take a singular verb, hence (C) is correct...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
B is a mess that you can't even.. smh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
(D) a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take.

Could anyone tell me whether the answer (D) is grammatically correct?
For me, it looks like two independent clauses without proper conjunction or "that"( ... proposals was that it did not take.)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Faye Wu wrote:
(D) a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take.

Could anyone tell me whether the answer (D) is grammatically correct?
For me, it looks like two independent clauses without proper conjunction or "that"( ... proposals was that it did not take.)

D has the run on sentence after comma "was, it did not take.". Hence, D is grammatically incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Gnpth wrote:
The interior minister explained that one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

A.one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting
B.one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking
C.one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract
D.a best characteristic of the village planning proposal was, it did not take
E.among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract

Hi sayantanc2k / Experts,

Can Somebody, please explain B/C in meaning?

What is difference between "village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics" & "best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal" ?

Thanks
Nandish
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4547 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
NandishSS wrote:

Hi sayantanc2k / Experts,

Can Somebody, please explain B/C in meaning?

What is difference between "village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics" & "best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal" ?

Thanks
Nandish

Hi Nandish,

I don't think that there is any meaning difference between the two. A's best characteristics is same as best characteristics of A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks

Analysis: Looking at the underlined portions of the sentence, we need a "...was that..." so that the description of the characteristic can follow it.

A. one of the village planning proposal’s best characteristics was their not detracting
- Incorrect with pronoun reference and working verb

B. one of the village’s planning proposal’s best characteristics were its not taking
- Same as (A)

C. one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was that it did not detract
- "it" clearly refers to the characteristics and "did not detract" has the correct form of working verb.

- The clause before comma is sentence fragment.
- Also, "a" is not the correct article to reference to the "best characteristics" [Someone correct me if this is a not an issue]

E. among the village planning proposal’s best characteristics, one was, it did not detract
- Again the clause before first comma is a sentence fragment. Also, "one was" is a fragment.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
anox wrote

Quote:
- Also, "a" is not the correct article to reference to the "best characteristics" [Someone correct me if this is a not an issue]

It is certainly an issue. The superlative degree of comparison is a unique and absolute feature and it should be modified by the definite article 'the' in formal written English of GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
anox wrote

Quote:

It is certainly an issue. The superlative degree of comparison is a unique and absolute feature and it should be modified by the definite article 'the' in formal written English of GMAT.

Thanks for the explanation. "a best characteristics" did not sound right to me but could not explain it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:

Well, we could say that "A' is awkward; however, writing off an answer choice as awkward may not actually help explain why that particular answer choice is wrong or better yet help to elucidate the sentence's intended meaning. What is incorrect about answer choice "A" is the pairing of "their " with "proposal's." This is grammatically incorrect..."their" must be paired with a plural noun. Concision and logic matter on the GMAT- but this certainly does not mean immediately eliminating the wordiest answer choice or even an answer choice that sounds "awkward." The whole idea of eliminating answer choices on the basis of sounding awkward may be more applicable to questions testing idioms- even then we cannot afford to entirely rely on your ear- this is a very common mistake. There's actually a few idioms that arguably sound awkward and that many native American speakers even get wrong. Many Americans, surprisingly, say " I prefer ___ over___" this is incorrect- it should I prefer x___to___Y. Anyways, I do not mean to dismiss the notion that sentences that inherently sound awkward should not raise skepticism- they should raise a yellow light rather a red light and we should not forget to also use logic and rules.

Thus
"C"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I'm really confused with the Subject and the Verb here. Can someone please help understand?
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
haritrathi94

Here is how I would break it down:

The interior minister explained

that (presence of that suggests another dependent clause)

one of the best characteristics of the village’s planning proposal was

that

it did not detract from the project’s overall benefit by being a burden on the development budget.

generis GMATNinja KarishmaB workout

I at times falter for 10 s to know verb for phrases such as one of the best characteristics
The reason why need a singular verb was to refer to above complete phrase and not
a plural verb characteristics is that a noun in the prepositional phrase cannot be a subject of the plural verb - were. Am I correct?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
generis GMATNinja KarishmaB workout

I at times falter for 10 s to know verb for phrases such as one of the best characteristics
The reason why need a singular verb was to refer to above complete phrase and not
a plural verb characteristics is that a noun in the prepositional phrase cannot be a subject of the plural verb - were. Am I correct?

adkikani here is what I think

There are few cases where if the part before the subject modifies the quantity of the subject, then the subject can be in the prepositional phrase.

Example "some of the students got their books" Here "some of the" talks about quantity of students. So, the subject is students and it is plural.

The few exceptions to the above are "one of the", "none of the" and "the number of" which are always singular

"one of the students got his/her book".
"none of the students got his/her book"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
The interior minister explained that one of the village planning [#permalink]