Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The interstitial nucleus, a subregion of the brain's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: cat disease [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 23:30
IMO E...whats the OA..its says that hypothalamus is known not to be causally linked to disease Y, and disease X is a subtype of Y
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nucleus [Diff. 9/10] [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 14:40
+1 E

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nucleus [Diff. 9/10] [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
Source of qu? Wanted to strike out E as it introduced new information that initially appeared unrelated.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: cat disease [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 06:53
B, what is OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: cat disease [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 08:41
yyc881123 wrote:
24. The interstitial nucleus, a sub-region of the brain’s hypothalamus, is typically smaller for male cats than for female cats. A neurobiologist performed autopsies on male cats who died from disease X, a disease affecting no more than .05 percent of male cats, and found that these male cats had interstitial nuclei that were as large as those generally found in female cats. Thus, the size of the interstitial nucleus determines whether or not male cats can contract disease X.

I too believe it's E and the reason for this is highlighted in red.

I don't think it's D because D states that the whatever nuclei were larger than those of the average male cat and not of the same size as those of female cats. What if indeed the male cats had larger nuclei, but they weren't nearly as large as those of females?
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: cat disease [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 08:48
nucleus-diff-81970.html#p615058

I had the same query! :)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cat disease [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 10:57
E is out of scope, you need to assume something in E that is not in the argument
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nucleus [Diff. 9/10] [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 13:55
merged the two topics ...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The interstitial nucleus, a subregion of the brain's [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 22:11
This question is from the June 1999 LSAT (section 3, logical reasoning).

The credited response is E. I hated this question, and hated this answer choices. Narrowed my final selection down to D and E. Both answer choices seemed incredibly weak, leaving me to guess D.

However, after further reflection I realized that, if anything, D seemed to weaken the argument. If disease X affects no more than .05 percent of all male cats, and 1,000 autopsies are performed on male cats who did not contract the disease, finding only 5 of cats with larger interstitial nuclei would seem to support the idea that size affects the likelihood of contracting the disease (because the 995 cats with average sized nuclei did not contract it).

While, in hindsight, E seems slightly more compelling, the answer is so deceptively worded, lending to my frustration in connecting it to the the conclusion of the argument. The stimulus discusses the interstitial nucleus, noting that it is only a subregion of the hypothalamus. E states that the hypothalamus itself is known not to be linked to disease Y, of which X is a subtype. Confusing, but if the interstitial nucleus is a subregion of the hypothalamus I can see how the two could be considered one in the same (a similar argument could be made for the X/Y subtype classification).

An expectedly tricky question # 25.
Re: The interstitial nucleus, a subregion of the brain's   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 22:11