Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 148 [1] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:51) correct 19% (00:54) wrong based on 609 sessions
The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

A having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it
B having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they
C with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they
D with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it
E with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 1163 [3] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye,[u] havin [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A case of SV mismatch and pronoun ambiguity and reference. The subject is the singular structure and the verb therefore should be helps, which is three in B, C and E. In B. the plural pronoun, they refer to anything plural but what is in issue is the singular insect eye that is compared with vertebrate eye. C also has the same pronoun mis - reference as in B. E remains with the use of the singular verb helps and singular pronoun it
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye,[u] havin [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 21:45
Hi Daggh,

The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia
Apart from pronoun and S- v Errors , also the modifier having hundreds.....ommatidia is incorrect it as it modifies insect eye!!

Is this correct?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye,[u] havin [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
I think i got it,

, having.... ] modifier modifies the subject i.e the "structure of the compound insect eye"
Which is ill logical..

I think i'm right
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye,[u] havin [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
A having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it (SV error)
B having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they (Pronoun error)
C with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they(Pronoun error)
D with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it (SV error)
E with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it (Correct Answer)

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 26

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 13:55
First split : The intricate structure......... HELP/HELPS explain........

The intricate structure ( singular )..... must be paired with Helps ( singular verb )

A,D disappears, Left with B, C, E

2nd Split : Scientists assumed that....... THEY / IT........

The pronoun refers back to the EYE ( Singular )........ So the Pronoun should be IT ( SINGULAR ) and not THEY.

Thus B n C get back to their cocoon.

Leading to E, my take
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 05:28
macjas wrote:
The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

A having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it
B having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they
C with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they
D with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it
E with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it

what we can learn from E, the oa

"comma+with " phrase can modify noun+noun modifier or, in other words, modify slightly far noun. in E, "with its..." modifies "structure" not "intricate eye"

is that right? pls comment.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 01:58
I figured out the errors with each answer choice much similar to the ways listed above. I was looking at one point in OG answer explanation that "using 'assuming' with possesive 'scientists'' form" is incorrect. Say, if i change answer (C) as below, will it be correct.

(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' ASSUMPTION that IT
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 933 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
mamathak wrote:
I figured out the errors with each answer choice much similar to the ways listed above. I was looking at one point in OG answer explanation that "using 'assuming' with possesive 'scientists'' form" is incorrect. Say, if i change answer (C) as below, will it be correct.

(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' ASSUMPTION that IT

Hi mamthak

Even you change assuming to assumption, the sentence is still wrong because:

- Structure: "assumption that + clause" is not as good as "assume that + clause"
(1) Scientists have the assumption that whale evolved from elephant
(2) Scientists assume that whale evolved from elephant
Which one is better. Definitely, GMAT likes the latter, it's more concise and has clear meaning.
Remember the order V-A-N (verb-adjective-noun). If you can use verb, use verb, do not use noun form.

- Idiom: assumption that ==> incorrect. Correct idiom is "assumption of/about"

Hope it' clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 78

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 22:55
The OA explanation for this question says that "This wording misleadingly suggests that the intricate structure has miniature eyes, while the correct subject of the predicate having is the compound insect eye."

But, I thought "having" is modifying "compound insect eye" as it is touching the noun "compound insect eye". So, I need help in understanding where am I wrong.

Also, I am not clear how does "with" solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gmatter0913 on 17 Jul 2013, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:35
Could somebody please clarify me how "with" is different from "having" here.

How is it that "having" is modifying "structure", while "with" is modifying "compound insect eye". Kindly help me understand the usage of with here.

Thanks a lot GmatClub.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 481 [2] , given: 196

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
gmatter0913 wrote:
Could somebody please clarify me how "with" is different from "having" here.

How is it that "having" is modifying "structure", while "with" is modifying "compound insect eye". Kindly help me understand the usage of with here.

Thanks a lot GmatClub.

hi

having = have + ing = verb + ing.
verb-ing modifiers are very versatile modifiers.
there are two case

if verb-ing modifiers appear after a clause and is preceeded by comma ,then it modifies the entire preceeding clause.It
a) either presents additional information about the preceeding clause or
b) result of the preceeding clause.

if verb-ing modifiers appears without a comma==>it modifies the immediate noun.

now in our question:

so according to rule HAVING is modifying the entire preceeding clause....
so in this sentence ...meanig coming out: intricate structure are having hundreds of miniature eyes==> this is illogical as structure cant have eyes...
hence we can eliminate all the option using HAVING

please refre to this also.

usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html

hope it makes sense now.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 09:57
Could you help me on how "with" modifies the "eye" and not the "structure"?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 196

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:03
gmatter0913 wrote:
Could you help me on how "with" modifies the "eye" and not the "structure"?

WITH ...will modify eye.....according to context of the sentence)

it cannot modify intricate structure as that will be illogical....to say intricate structure have hundreds of miniature eyes.

The intricate structure of the compound insect eye,withits hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye

HOPE IT IS CLEAR.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment

Last edited by blueseas on 18 Jul 2013, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 78

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
I think "with" can modify the preceding clause too. Please refer to the below post by eGMAT saying "with" is a versatile modifier.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/comma-with-m ... 01732.html

Please help me understand the exact usage of "with".
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 196

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:58
gmatter0913 wrote:
I think "with" can modify the preceding clause too. Please refer to the below post by eGMAT saying "with" is a versatile modifier.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/comma-with-m ... 01732.html

Please help me understand the exact usage of "with".

thanks for the link... :-D

so it must be more clear now since ....with MODIFIES according to context of the sentence.

so EYE is the only noun which makes sense....hence...it is modifying EYE...

HOPE it is clear now.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 11:48
Yes, you're right. It makes sense now.

Because the -ing verb "having" modifies the preceding clause, the sentence is not very clear in its meaning.
On the other hand, "with" clauses are truly versatile as they can modify either a preceding clause or a preceding noun depending on the meaning of the context.

Thanks for your answers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 20:49
I thought I understood the usage of "with" until I saw this official sentence.

I believe that if I am changing the rules of using a concept every time so as to match the correct answer, then I am sure that I didn't understand the concept well. I believe that is exactly what is happening in this case in understanding the usage of "with" on the GMAT.

In our previous conversation, we thought "with" modifies the preceding noun or the clause. But, it looks like we're missing something here. Below is an official sentence from the GMAT Prep.

Sentence: (This is the correct option in the question. But, the stress here is to understand how is it correct?)

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline.

The official explanation says "with" is modifying "monkeys" correctly and it is not modifying "branches".

I don't understand why is it so? According to our understanding, "with" should modify the preceding noun "branches".

I understand that branches cannot have arms and legs and hence it modifies monkeys. I think this explanation doesn't solve the problem. Because, there has to be a better explanation to this usage. Else, we're saying that "with" is always correct on the GMAT as it can be associated to modify anything as desired by the context of the sentence.

I believe we need to understand this better.

I request the experts on this forum to please help us on this.

Thanks a lot!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 22:37
gmatter0913 wrote:
I thought I understood the usage of "with" until I saw this official sentence.

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline.

The official explanation says "with" is modifying "monkeys" correctly and it is not modifying "branches".

I don't understand why is it so? According to our understanding, "with" should modify the preceding noun "branches".

I understand that branches cannot have arms and legs and hence it modifies monkeys. I think this explanation doesn't solve the problem. Because, there has to be a better explanation to this usage. Else, we're saying that "with" is always correct on the GMAT as it can be associated to modify anything as desired by the context of the sentence.

Firstly, both the verbs "have often looked up" and "saw" are associated to "Visitors". I'd expect the second verb also to be in a a form that aligns with "have" => verb should be "have seen" .

Secondly to generalise this concept of usage of "with XXX" --> it falls into the category of prepositional phrases , which are very versatile , and everything that's said about "with" being a versatile modifier applies to all prepositional phrases

In this specific Question - i think "with arms and legs hanging like ..... " modifies the noun phrase "monkeys sleeping on the branches" . it simply cannot modify just branches or monkeys. "with ....." here describes HOW monkeys are sleeping on the branches , modifying the action denoted by the -ING modifer sleeping.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 17:26
macjas wrote:

here's my take,
the subject of the sentence is intricate structure : of the insect eye can be removed : now having hundreds should modify the subject but it tries to modify insect eye
so 1. modifier error 2. pronoun ambiguity : helps the scientists assume that it/ they : here it refers to the structure but not eyes ! using
1. a, b are removed
using 2. b,c, are removed
d: for singular we use helps and for plural we use help subject ver agreement is not correct so we leave D
E is the choice
hope this helps !!
Re: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2013, 17:26