Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 57

Re: The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 22:24
This is from MGMAT and the OA is D and not B.

OA is D because -

If we pick D and say B for discussion sake then,

having been one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity even though it had previously been expensive
- Tries to state that since it was a significant development, it could make the cotton cloth an affordable commodity. The reason why the cotton cloth became affordable is not mentioned in the question.

In D, the sentence clearly puts the modifier as non-essential. The modifier probably modifies "invention of the cotton gin" rather than cotton gin itself. cotton gin is within a prepositional phrase "of the cotton gin".

So, D says that the invention of the cotton gin, <modifier>, <rest of the sentence>.

Another example -

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - The invention [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 14:19
rrkan wrote:
seekmba wrote:
Good points by lionslion.

The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, had turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity even though it was expensive before that.

A. being one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, had turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity even though it was expensive before that - being is incorrect. "had turned" is wrong. Invention turned cotton into an affordable commodity later but the commodity had been expensive before

having been one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity even though it had previously been expensive - "having been..." correctly modifies invention. correct tense usage

one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity despite its previous expense - "one of...." incorrectly modifies cotton gin. the part after comma is awkward

one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity despite the fact that it had previously been expensive - "one of...." incorrectly modifies cotton gin. the part after comma is wordy

being one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth from a previously expensive commodity to an affordable one - being is wrong. the part after comma does not sound right to me.

1. Can somebody please explain me the difference between
"having been and have been"

2.Difference between Present perfect and present perfect continuous
I mean the difference between the sentences
a) we have lived in the hut for three days
b) we have been living in the hut for three days.

Will somebody provide a clear answer for this one

OK, let's agree that the correct answer here is D

Would anybody kindly help answer why D and not other tempting answer choices. Such as E for instance?

Also, just so you know I picked E cause for me it was the only answer choice that made sense

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 54

Re: CR - The invention [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 16:13
jlgdr wrote:
Will somebody provide a clear answer for this one

OK, let's agree that the correct answer here is D

Would anybody kindly help answer why D and not other tempting answer choices. Such as E for instance?

Also, just so you know I picked E cause for me it was the only answer choice that made sense

Cheers!

C and D are out, because in the construction, 'The invention of cotton gin, one of the ...'
one of the incorrectly modifies cotton gin, where as, it should actually talk about 'the invention'

A and E are out, because, 'being' is wrong.
'Being' is the present-tense form of the verb 'to be' and it means, 'happening at the moment'
Ex: I am being a spoilsport --> I am not a spoilsport always, but at the moment, I am acting like one.
Cotton Gin is a great invention, not just for that moment.

What's left is 'B'

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 14:18
SudiptoGmat wrote:
The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most
significant developments of the nineteenth century, had turned
cotton cloth into an affordable commodity even though it was
expensive before that

A. being one of the most significant developments of the
nineteenth century, had turned cotton cloth into an
affordable commodity even though it was expensive before
that
B· having been one of the most significant developments of
the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an
affordable commodity even though it had previously been
expensive
C· one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth
century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity
despite its previous expense
D· one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth
century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity
despite the fact that it had previously been expensive
E· being one of the most significant developments of the
nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth from a previously
expensive commodity to an affordable one

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

I got it correct but one this is bothering me. See the grammatical structure. "one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century" has a comma after that. Can somebody explain the structure.

I also thought the answer was B here
Could any MGMAT expert please clarify between B and E

Thanks!
Cheers
Re: The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2014, 14:18