Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 01:36
I hope this one is a 700 question.

Idiom "Little of Singular Noun"

Thus it is D
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 03:22
I tried to rephrase it as

there is no significant difference in the underlying mental processes of different cultures.

Something like that,

Then looked for answers.

D,E fit first and then E clearly was not the right phrase, eliminated it.

I know this is not the smoothest/recommended process. For some reason my brain wanted to rephrase and it appeared that the solution became easy.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 09:03
(D) Vs (E)
if (E) is incorrect then please experts help me to get the right answer's reasoning.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 05:42
Was confused between D and E chose E. but looking back, E has

"is"---"differences" hence leaves us with D!

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 05:57
good question
@nus, I doubt whether ellipsis is an issue here. But rather, I tend to view 'little' as a pronoun.
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:30
I first selected E, which is incorrect as "is little of differences" is incorrect because IMO "little" in this context must be used with uncountable. Alternatively it can be written as " are few of differences" but this construction will change the meaning. Another construction can be " are little differences" but this again will change the meaning. So E is the correct. The trap here is use of "Differences in" and "Different in " which forces us to think that E is unidiomatic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 23:01
ugimba wrote:
The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists support the generalization of there being little that is a significant difference in the underlying mental processes manifested by people from different cultures.

(A) of there being little that is a significant difference
(B) of there being little that is significantly different
(C) of little that is significantly different
(D) that there is little that is significantly different
(E) that there is little of significant differences

please explain.

It should be "generalizations that". Hence, A, B and C are out!
This is about the differences of underlying mental processes manifested by people from different cultures.

"there is little that is significantly different in the underlying process" vs.
"there is little of significant differences in the underlying process"

Differences is countable. So it should be there is few significant differences in the underlying process. E is out!
that is significantly different is not countable but a situation... So, little that is significantly different... CORRECT.

Answer: D

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 62

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 01:16
The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists support the generalization of there being little that is a significant difference in the underlying mental processes manifested by people from different cultures.

(A) of there being little that is a significant difference that is missing, unnecessary "Being"
(B) of there being little that is significantly different that is missing, unnecessary "Being"
(C) of little that is significantly different that is missing
(D) that there is little that is significantly different correct
(E) that there is little of significant differences incorrect usage of little with differences(countable)

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 06:39
i an not even able to understand the question
can some one explain me
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 59

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 04:27
Idiomatic usage. In the phrase 'little of X', the X has to be a singular quantity. If it's plural (like 'differences'), then you have to use few.
so E is out and D is the correct option!!

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Re: The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2014, 04:27