Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 10:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (01:53) correct 29% (01:02) wrong based on 20 sessions
The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in North America at a striking 20 inches tall, has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently unable to find solid proof for the bird to still exist.

(A) for the bird to still exist
(B) for the bird as still existing
(C) for the bird's continued existence
(D) that the bird still exists
(E) of the bird and its continued existence

OA after some discussion.

Cheers
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 589
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 20

Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 14:25
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
it is.
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 19:48
gmatbull wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
it is.


Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?

cheers
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1227
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 23:09
A is nonsensical. It seems to convey the meaning that scientists are unable to find solid proof, proof which would enable the bird to exist. Similar to saying something like the social activists were unable to find a reason for the depressed person to live.

D conveys the right meaning. Proof is correctly modified using an essential modifier with a "that" clause. Answer should be D.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Posts: 47
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 02:11
Jp27 wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
it is.


Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?

cheers

when would we get to know where prove of applies or prove that??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 03:34
Maryam787 wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
it is.


Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?

cheers

when would we get to know where prove of applies or prove that??


Hey Proof OF is used with NOUN ( or noun equivalent such as a noun phrase) because "of" in "proof of" is a preposition so it must be followed by noun!
Proof that + clause -> that here is used here as clause introducer, similar to suggest that report that etc (that can be used as a pro-noun as well but that completely different usage)

So in this Q both D and E grammatically correct but there is a meaning issue in E hence we have to go with D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2011
Posts: 60
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 04:43
Usage of nouns such as "evidence/proof/report " are often modified by That-clause that contain full sentences.
So -D(that clause) is preferred over other prepositional phrases .
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2012, 04:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 largest volume krishnasty 7 07 Oct 2011, 10:54
Where once Vs While once vivektripathi 4 03 Jan 2009, 21:43
Largest value beatgmat 2 19 Sep 2007, 18:38
SC-Largest Living organism nitinneha 0 09 May 2012, 06:44
PS:GMatprep..largest number rkatl 4 07 Oct 2006, 08:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.