Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [3] , given: 3

The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:49) correct 60% (00:44) wrong based on 365 sessions
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

a) javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
b) javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
c) javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
d) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 22:15
I filtered down the ACs and got stuck between B and E ; however, i chose B eventually.
Experts tell me why not to choose B even-though, E is equally looking good and the right answer.

Is that because of änd"in B. (not parallel )?

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
thevenus wrote:
I filtered down the ACs and got stuck between B and E ; however, i chose B eventually.
Experts tell me why not to choose B even-though, E is equally looking good and the right answer.

This one is tricky. You're right to get stuck between B and E, but the problem is the subtle change in meaning in B.

"Is obviously more dangerous" has a different meaning from "is more obviously dangerous" and thus distorts the original sentence's intention. The first means that in fact it is more dangerous, but that's actually not true since the discus apparently is. So while the javelin but appear more obviously dangerous, the discus is apparently (NOW it's obviously) more dangerous.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 23

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I got down to B and E and ended up going with B :(

How do we decipher the author's intended meaning?

It seems like "more obviously dangerous" and "obviously more dangerous" would both give valid meanings.

Do we need to stick with the meaning of the original sentence?
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [5] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
It seems like "more obviously dangerous" and "obviously more dangerous" would both give valid meanings.

However,both have vast difference in their meaning.

b) javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,

When we say Javelin is more obviously dangerous, then we are saying that it is very clear that javelin is more dangerous than discus; However that is not so; It is the discus that is more dangerous. So B is against the grain of using the transitional contrast adverb however.

e) Javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

When we say that the javelin is more obviously dangerous than discus, we are surmising that Javelin is apparently more dangerous than discus; however, in reality discus is more dangerous. Now the contrast adverb however, fits in smugly.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
b) javelin has a sharp point and is dangerous ................,

e) javelin, with its sharp point, is dangerous ...................

Analogy :

B : SKM has a sharp tongue and SKM is rude.................. Guess 2 separate ideas joined together = doesn't connect well or implies the role of sharp tongue ( My understanding )

E : SKM, with a sharp tongue, is rude = this implies sharp tongue plays a role in SKM being rude

Thus my take E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 16:09
B – obviously more dangerous is what we say when we speak
E – looks good from gmat perspective but ‘more obviously dangerous’ doesn’t seem to be right. Can one of the experts pls explain..

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 04:36
daagh wrote:
Quote:

However,both have vast difference in their meaning.

When we say Javelin is more obviously dangerous, then we are saying that it is very clear that javelin is more dangerous than discus; However that is not so; It is the discus that is more dangerous. So B is against the grain of using the transitional contrast adverb however.

e) Javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

When we say that the javelin is more obviously dangerous than discus, we are surmising that Javelin is apparently more dangerous than discus; however, in reality discus is more dangerous. Now the contrast adverb however, fits in smugly.

hi daagh,

Is it a grammatical rule you are talking about?

Could you please elaborate the issue, I am a little confused. What is the reason behind "surmising" implication of option "E"?

Best,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 17

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 02:48
Bull78 wrote:
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

a) javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
c) javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
d) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

Was very easy to get it down to B and E.
Later, I chose E because E is more close to what this sentence wants to say.
"Its because of the sharp point, javelin looks obviously more dangerous".
B - when we use 'and' conjunction, it doesn't show any relationship b/w javelin's sharp point and its being dangerous.
So B gets eliminated. Not sure if everyone agrees with my reasoning, but this is how I got E.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:25
thevenus wrote:

Ask yourself, what is and being used for...remember and is used to join parallel elements or items in a list or clauses... so it doesn't serve the purpose of using and.

Hope this helps. Kudos if you like my post
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:52
Bull78 wrote:

Wonder no one has chosen D here?.
My take:

which modified point instead of javelin.

; is used to join independent clauses. however shows dependency from first clause.

Incorrect comparison

though bit wordy, doesnt have any grammatical error.
e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however

incorrect use of ;. Dependent clauses are added. More obviously dangerous doesnt sound right , although I'm honestly not sure about this.

Correct Ans should be D.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 17

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 05:00
Vips0000 wrote:
Bull78 wrote:

My take:

; is used to join independent clauses. however shows dependency from first clause.

Incorrect comparison

e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however

incorrect use of ;. Dependent clauses are added. More obviously dangerous doesnt sound right , although I'm honestly not sure about this.

Correct Ans should be D.

javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
one error I can point out in D is use of 'it'. "it" seems to be referring to "javelin's sharp point".

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 05:03
Vips0000 wrote:
Bull78 wrote:

My take:

Incorrect comparison

Correct Ans should be D.

The reason no one has picked D is because you don't compare apples to oranges...that is adjective to a noun....Javelin's and Discus... Comparison entities must be comparable. Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 280

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 11:04
I think skmskm synthesized it quite well - it's all about that we have a dependent clause connected with AND in B, which shouldn't be the case here. Don't ask me why I prefered B over E.

One general question: Do we always assume in 700+ SC questions that the given answer choice A (no matter if correct or not) provides the genuine meaning, which the author wanted to convey?

Thanks in advance! Kudos guaranteed!

Best,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [3] , given: 185

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
bgpower wrote:
I think skmskm synthesized it quite well - it's all about that we have a dependent clause connected with AND in B, which shouldn't be the case here. Don't ask me why I prefered B over E.

One general question: Do we always assume in 700+ SC questions that the given answer choice A (no matter if correct or not) provides the genuine meaning, which the author wanted to convey?

Thanks in advance! Kudos guaranteed!

Best,

Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice B:

The javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

This choice is not correct because it takes the reason that makes the javelin “more obviously dangerous”. Per this choice, the javelin has two traits:
1. It has a sharp point.
2. It is more dangerous than the discus.

This choice fails to say that the javelin becomes obviously dangerous because it has a sharp point. Choice E corrects this error. It clearly says that the javelin is more dangerous because of its sharp point.

Now let’s see the use of “more obviously dangerous” and “obviously more dangerous”. Notice the placement of the word “more”. In the original sentence, it modifies “obviously” and not “dangerous”. Javelin is obviously dangerous. But what makes it “more” obviously dangerous is its sharp point.

This brings us to the answer of the question you asked. The original sentence always sets the context in which the sentence has been written. It guides us toward the logical intended meaning of the sentence. At e-gmat, we add a lot of importance to spending time with the original sentence to understand the logical meaning. This goes for each and every sentence, easy or difficult.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 00:40
Hi Shradha

Thanks for nice explanation why do you think D is not the correct answer......."Even though"i think rightly modifies the explanation following it.....also it has a comma before it rightly making it a dependable clause.
Does however introduces a dependable clause if yes than should it not be separated by a comma rather than using a semi colon
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [0], given: 185

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 10:24
Expert's post
Hi @archit143,

D) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though: Incorrect.

Notice the use of “it” in this choice. This pronoun stands for “sharp point”. It cannot refer to “javelin’s” because this entity is a modifier, an adjective. So “it” stands for “sharp point”. Now per this choice, “sharp point” has been compared to “discus”. These two entities are not comparable. This illogical comparison makes this choice incorrect.

Also the placement of “more” is not correct in this choice. Read my previous post on the usage of “more” in this sentence.

“however” also starts fresh sentences. We form complete sentences with “however”. This is the reason why use of semicolon is not incorrect in some of the answer choices, including the correct one.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 10:33
Completely missed the point shradha thanks for pointing the error with "it' in D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:44
Nice explanation Shraddha!! I thought abount the reason for being dangerous issue but was stumped by "more obviously dangerous"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 19:49
What an amazing amazing sentence!!! more obviously and obviously more....
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2013, 19:49