Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2016, 07:52
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 607
Location: Kolkata,India
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 619 [1] , given: 100

The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2009, 21:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (01:45) correct 51% (01:00) wrong based on 41 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages,with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles
c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles
d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles


Guys pls explain in detail
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 10

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 02:55
Spoilt wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages,with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- It the only clear option
b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- We don't know what "it" refers to, jazz band's music is mentioned not the jazz band
c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles-- We don't know what "it" refers to, jazz band's music is mentioned not the jazz band
d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles-- We don't know what "they" refers to, jazz band's music is mentioned not the jazz band
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles-- "Fusion that is of" is incorrect word formation


[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:E

Guys pls explain in detail



Why is "Fusion that is of" is incorrect ? Though I agree that "A" is the best option, i am not convinced that "Fusion that is of" is incorrect.
_________________

Consider kudos for a good explanation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 317
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 13

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 04:14
Spoilt wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages,with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- It the only clear option
b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- We don't know what "it" refers to, jazz band's music is mentioned not the jazz band
c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles-- We don't know what "it" refers to, jazz band's music is mentioned not the jazz band
d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles-- We don't know what "they" refers to, jazz band's music is mentioned not the jazz band
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles-- "Fusion that is of" is incorrect word formation


[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:E

Guys pls explain in detail


"fusion that is of both " is wordy. fusion and both seems redundant.
And I thought it refers to music in B and C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 120
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 23

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 05:43
tejal777 wrote:
The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages,with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles
c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles
d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles



well I'll try and explain my approach.
1.) This SC tests modifiers.
2.) We need to ask a question to ourselves that what has helped music transcend generational barriers and attract people of all ages?....it is the fusion that has helped.

Option E ,in a very concise manner modifies the preceding clause.


AS for other options ...

A.) 'with the fusing of" is wordy... "fusion" is a better option as in E
B.) ambiguous "It"
C.) ambiguous "It"
D.) ambiguous "They"

Experts please comment if my reasoning is correct!!

NIce post tejal777...1+ kudos to you :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 06:56
This Q checks for diction and idiom 'fusion of'


The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages, with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles - 'fusing' is verb and fusing of is wrong

b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles - phrase is expected not a clause

c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles - phrase is expected not a clause

d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles -'they' wrong mofier and phrase is expected.
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles - Correct. This is a phrase and has 'fusion that is of' which is correct.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 546
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 92

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 10:57
learner wrote:
This Q checks for diction and idiom 'fusion of'


Are you sure about the idiom? From what I know, "that of" is the correct idiom.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 330
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 12:09
I think E is also unnecessary wordy : by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
You can safely omit that is
What is the source of this question?
A & E are closer but neither of them is looking OK !!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 23:54
Why you guys are considering "by the fusion" ...i am not getting that how can "by" be used while u are referring to non human entities. Please consider that Jazz has got created with fusing different types of music...not by some person.

So "by the fusion" cannot be right by any means...

answer should be "A"

What is OA ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Posts: 93
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2009, 03:58
learner wrote:
This Q checks for diction and idiom 'fusion of'


The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages, with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles - 'fusing' is verb and fusing of is wrong

b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles - phrase is expected not a clause

c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles - phrase is expected not a clause

d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles -'they' wrong mofier and phrase is expected.
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles - Correct. This is a phrase and has 'fusion that is of' which is correct.

totally agree with this explanation..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Posts: 93
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2009, 04:00
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages,with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles
c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles
d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles



well I'll try and explain my approach.
1.) This SC tests modifiers.
2.) We need to ask a question to ourselves that what has helped music transcend generational barriers and attract people of all ages?....it is the fusion that has helped.

Option E ,in a very concise manner modifies the preceding clause.


AS for other options ...

A.) 'with the fusing of" is wordy... "fusion" is a better option as in E
B.) ambiguous "It"
C.) ambiguous "It"
D.) ambiguous "They"

Experts please comment if my reasoning is correct!!

NIce post tejal777...1+ kudos to you :)

"it" is not ambiguous.. it refers to the music..
and why "fusion" is a better option as in E?
please revert..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 120
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 23

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2009, 07:17
[quote="atomy]
"it" is not ambiguous.. it refers to the music..
and why "fusion" is a better option as in E?
please revert..[/quote]

Well by ambiguos "it" i mean that we are not clear as to who is the doer of the action "fusion"...

Music by itself cannot "fuse"... some one has to do the fusion....it is a case of dangling modifier.

Thats the reason i feel the "it" in option B and option C is incorrect.

Experts plzz comment
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 49
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2009, 19:41
what difficulty would you say this question is? 600? 650? 700?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 769
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 99

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2009, 16:58
angel2009 wrote:
I think E is also unnecessary wordy : by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles
You can safely omit that is
What is the source of this question?
A & E are closer but neither of them is looking OK !!!


agree with you. A would have been correct had it used 'with the fusion of both modern ..'
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 15:57
The source of this question is The Princeton Review. OA is "C". However, I am not convinced that it is right as well as other options.

From the book "In this question, you must first isolate the correct conjunction in order to properly join the two thoughts. In choice (A) using with as a conjunction creates an awkward sentence construction and results in an incomplete thought. Choice (B) uses the overly formal "in that". Choice (C), however, uses "for it", which is less formal. It also accurately indicates that the second part of the sentence is explaining the reason for the statement in the first part. You can thus eliminate choice (B). Choice (D) uses the ambiguous pronoun they, and creates an incomplete sentence by using "when" . Choice (E) is excessively awkward and somewhat garbled."

Could anyone explain why choice (C) is right?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 983
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 18:10
Expert's post
Janybek wrote:
The source of this question is The Princeton Review. OA is "C". However, I am not convinced that it is right as well as other options.

From the book "In this question, you must first isolate the correct conjunction in order to properly join the two thoughts. In choice (A) using with as a conjunction creates an awkward sentence construction and results in an incomplete thought. Choice (B) uses the overly formal "in that". Choice (C), however, uses "for it", which is less formal. It also accurately indicates that the second part of the sentence is explaining the reason for the statement in the first part. You can thus eliminate choice (B). Choice (D) uses the ambiguous pronoun they, and creates an incomplete sentence by using "when" . Choice (E) is excessively awkward and somewhat garbled."

Could anyone explain why choice (C) is right?


Halo Janybek,

Let me try to help. :)

In this sentence the word for is used in place of because. You would probably recollect that "for" and "because" are in most cases interchangeable. Let us consider option C replacing for with because:

The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages, because it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles.

You would now realize that the sentence contains a main clause first and then a subordinate clause starting with because ( or rather, in the original sentence, with for)
Does the above explanation answers your query?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 983
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 570 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 18:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Janybek wrote:
The source of this question is The Princeton Review. OA is "C". However, I am not convinced that it is right as well as other options.

From the book "In this question, you must first isolate the correct conjunction in order to properly join the two thoughts. In choice (A) using with as a conjunction creates an awkward sentence construction and results in an incomplete thought. Choice (B) uses the overly formal "in that". Choice (C), however, uses "for it", which is less formal. It also accurately indicates that the second part of the sentence is explaining the reason for the statement in the first part. You can thus eliminate choice (B). Choice (D) uses the ambiguous pronoun they, and creates an incomplete sentence by using "when" . Choice (E) is excessively awkward and somewhat garbled."

Could anyone explain why choice (C) is right?


Janybek

..and thank you for pointing this out. I have changed the OA to C . :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 18:40
sayantanc2k, thanks for a very simple and concise explanation! This is exactly what I needed.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 983
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 18:46
Expert's post
Janybek wrote:
sayantanc2k, thanks for a very simple and concise explanation! This is exactly what I needed.


Hi Janybek,

thank you...feel free to post your queries. If you want to tag me, please add @ before my username (or from the menu above your typing pane select Mention this user tab) , rather than just typing my username. I would then get a notification and would try to help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 11:41
sayantanc2k, my bad, I am getting used to commenting here. Thanks a lot for the tip!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 100
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 02:30
sayantanc2k
Can you please explain the usage of "in that"
I thought "in that" also means 'because' . is it not?
_________________

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection

Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2016, 02:30

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable- mohnish104 4 03 Dec 2013, 07:30
Experts publish their posts in the topic A mixture of reggae and jazz, the music of the artist was doe007 11 15 May 2013, 22:05
7 Of the eight members of the jazz band, none was more fraught AnnieR 8 29 Apr 2013, 11:37
SC - Jazz pianist humans 3 01 May 2009, 08:20
The ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable - kxl19 4 04 Mar 2007, 12:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.