Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The "kid" in the class

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 22:35
This is geared more towards those in the community who are currently enrolled in MBA programs or have graduated, though aspirants like me should feel free to chime in. Most top MBA programs have work experience averages around 4-5 years. Of course, there are those who enter with less. How are these candidates viewed by the other half of the class, i.e. those with 4+ years of work experience? Are they seen as kids who don't know anything and thus don't add value to group discussions? Do they typically hold leadership positions in clubs, and other activities? Do they have difficulties interacting with older classmates?

This obviously links to average age as well, not just work experience.

While I fully understand that this varies from person to person, I would like to hear any insight that anyone could share, being a younger candidate myself.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 00:20
westsidah408 wrote:
This is geared more towards those in the community who are currently enrolled in MBA programs or have graduated, though aspirants like me should feel free to chime in. Most top MBA programs have work experience averages around 4-5 years. Of course, there are those who enter with less. How are these candidates viewed by the other half of the class, i.e. those with 4+ years of work experience? Are they seen as kids who don't know anything and thus don't add value to group discussions? Do they typically hold leadership positions in clubs, and other activities? Do they have difficulties interacting with older classmates?

This obviously links to average age as well, not just work experience.

While I fully understand that this varies from person to person, I would like to hear any insight that anyone could share, being a younger candidate myself.

Thanks.

Very interesting question! Interested as well.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [1] , given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
It really depends on the person. I think the youngest people in my class are 24-25. For some people it's not even something that you would think about. My roommate is one of the younger people in my class and I forget that she is. However, there are others where the age difference is more pronounced and it will elicit an eyeroll or two. In any case I don't think age keeps anyone from being involved in the activities that they want to pursue or from getting leadership positions. When you get to school you will see that there is no end to the leadership opportunities. It's almost impossible to get out of school without leading something at some point, regardless of the perception of your age.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
A friend of mine got into Sloan directly out of college, but she had been working since her early teens. She had done internships, run her own business, etc. So actually she may have had more work experience than some of her peers given all that she did.

At any rate, she definitely got a few eye rolls about her age and some teasing, but she said she never felt like any of her classmates used age as a reason to make her feel less qualified. If anything they were more impressed.

Me, I'm on the flip side. I'm a couple years older than the average MBA student. And from my visits and some activities, I sometimes feel the age difference, but I think in the end, age, is not really an issue with anyone. Everyone got into business school and is there for a reason. People respect each other and know they need to lean and support each other in their experiences.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 19:15
Thanks Cheetarah (love your blog, btw!) and Ward. That is great to hear!

What is your experience with this during group discussions? Do you feel younger classmates bring enough to the table?
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 20:11
westsidah408 wrote:
Thanks Cheetarah (love your blog, btw!) and Ward. That is great to hear!

What is your experience with this during group discussions? Do you feel younger classmates bring enough to the table?

What you can bring to discussions depends on what you've seen in the world, what you've experienced and how developed your views are. Your age is just a number. It all depends on what you've done. So a 23 year old person with a ton of past experiences can probably contribute a lot. But a 23 year old who hasn't done much probably doesn't have much to draw upon.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with Cheetarah and Ward. I have classmates who are 30+ but act like they are 21, and other classmates who are 24-25 but are very mature for their respective ages. People initially roll their eyes when they find out that some classmates are only 23-25. But they quickly forget about the age difference once these overachievers prove why they were accepted to begin with.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The "kid" in the class [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 05:18
Thanks for share it.
Re: The "kid" in the class   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2012, 05:18