Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [95]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [32]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [7]
Given Kudos: 46
 Q48  V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Status:He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q36  V19
GPA: 78 percent
Send PM
Re: The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
+ 1 for C
Interacted with--> correct idiom . So we are left with A and C. Now in A we have between , which is used for between we have 2 parties. For choose between A and B.

Therefore we are left with C .

Press Kudos if you like my post :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [3]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Re: The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between
B. tribes who interacted among each other more often than among
C. tribes who interacted with one another more often than with
D. tribes, interacting among each other more often than between
E. tribes, interacting among one another more often than with
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the confederacy, which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

A. tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between
B. tribes who interacted among each other more often than among
C. tribes who interacted with one another more often than with
D. tribes, interacting among each other more often than between
E. tribes, interacting among one another more often than with
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
We interact "with" one another and also interact "with" someone else. So, we need "with" two times.

C is the only one using "with" two times.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
You can't use discuss 'between' other tribes because there are more than two tribes in the US. Yet gain, if one is not part of the other tribes, one can't discuss among the others. 'Interacted with' is the correct idiom in the second part rather than 'between' or 'among' in the given context.
In addition, to match this parallelly, we need another 'interacted with' in the first part. This combo we have only in C, which is the correct answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Answer is C
correct idiom is interact with
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [4]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
"interact with" is idiomatically correct; anything else is unidiomatic; eliminate B, D, and E.

Choice A makes the same error; it ends with "between", while the correct idiom demands "with" (i.e., we need "interact...with" not "interact...between"); eliminate A.

All four wrong answers use the wrong idiom; choice C is the only one that uses "interact with" both times.

Choose C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear daagh ,

Could you explain why "who" is correct?

I thought that "who" is only used for people, so you cannot use "who" modifying companies, tribus, or other things that aren't a person.

Thank you so much.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
guillemgc wrote

Quote:
One of the meanings of tribe is a group of people as given in the link below

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/tribe

3. A group of people sharing an occupation, interest, or habit: a tribe of graduate students.

In effect, whether The Kwakiutl or the confederacy for that matter refers to the people of the group; therefore, it may be acceptable to use 'who' for referring to the tribes.

On the other hand, if we were to consider, comma plus interacting as the modifier, the question is what that participle can modify. It can only modify the Kwakiutl's recognition as the interacting element among one another, which doesn't make much sense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the confederacy, which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between

"Between other tribes" is wrong. Between is used for interaction between two entities only. Plus that confederacy interacted with themselves does not make sense.

(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among

"interacting among other tribes" is wrong

(C) tribes who interacted with one another more often than with

"Seems okay. Hold" is wrong

(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between

Same as A.

(E) tribes, interacting among one another more often than with

"Verb-ing is wrong" is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 247
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Can anyone explain the inteded meaning of the sentence? I am not able to understand at all what this sentence ir trying to say...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between- usage of between
(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among - usage of among
(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between- usage of between

1. I was in a fix between options C and E but chose the incorrect answer because I thought that "who" can't to tribes and we need which or that.( who can be only used for people )
If the usage of 'who' is correct here, then 'who' should be able to refer to other collective nouns such as a team, group etc?

2. In option E, the verb-ing 'interacting' should make sense with
a. which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes-- verb-ing 'interacting' tries to refer to the subject of the previous clause which was..
b. or does the verb-ing modifier ' interacting' skips over the preceding main clause the Kwakiuti... ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , daagh ,other experts - please enlighten
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between- usage of between
(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among - usage of among
(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between- usage of between

1. I was in a fix between options C and E but chose the incorrect answer because I thought that "who" can't to tribes and we need which or that.( who can be only used for people )
If the usage of 'who' is correct here, then 'who' should be able to refer to other collective nouns such as a team, group etc?
generis

Skywalker18
Well, until I saw this question, my answer would have been:
No, because who is used to refer only to nouns that are actually human beings.
That said, I can understand why GMAC used who in this case.

Which nouns are interacting? Individual members of the tribes.
The tribes themselves as a whole would not interact unless one whole tribe were negotiating a treaty with another whole tribe, for example, or were arranging an alliance with another whole tribe.
The people in the tribes are interacting.
I am okay with the use of who in this case and context.

Quote:
then 'who' should be able to refer to other collective nouns such as a team, group etc

No, I would not go that far. One exception does not a make a rule.
If the context were similar to this one (individual members interact and it's kinda weird to think of one whole group "interacting" with another whole group), then those other words you listed might be able to take "who."

GMAT does not test the group THAT/who issue very often.
Furthermore, as far as I can recall, GMAT has not used who in this way in any other question.

Quote:
2. In option E, the verb-ing 'interacting' should make sense with
a. which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes-- verb-ing 'interacting' tries to refer to the subject of the previous clausewhich was..
b. or does the verb-ing modifier ' interacting' skips over [TO?] the preceding main clause the Kwakiuti... ?

I think you are asking which clause the adverbial modifier "interacting among. . ." applies to.
I think you are also implying that "interacting" in (E) does not make a lot of sense. (If so, you are correct.)

Yes, your (a) is correct. "Interacting" modifies the immediately preceding clause, and thus refers to which was.
Which, in turn, refers to confederacy.
And now the modifier makes no sense.
The confederacy . . ., interacting among one another . . .
The confederacy does not interact with or among anything or anyone.

Regarding your (b): If the participle "interacting" could reach "The Kwakiutl recognized . . . " —doubtful, and the modifier interacting is still nonsensical.

Answer (C) is better.

These questions are good. I hope that analysis helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Schools: NUS '23
Send PM
egmat can you please explain what does verb-ing modifiers in option D and E modify. I did read all the explanations above, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around the issue as yet.

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Rocknrolla21 wrote:
egmat can you please explain what does verb-ing modifiers in option D and E modify. I did read all the explanations above, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around the issue as yet.

Thanks!

Rocknrolla21

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/the-kwakiutl-r ... -question/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 992
Send PM

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between --> parallelism problem. With and between.
(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among ---> interacted with. each other b/w two people. Need another.
(C) tribes who interacted with one another more often than with --->Correct
(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between ---> interacting with. each other b/w two people.
(E) tribes, interacting among one another more often than with ---> interacting with.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
EducationAisle please could you tell me why (E) is incorrect?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts