Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [42]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [6]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [3]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Re: The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I am going to have to go with E

All the other choices seem to emphasize lions playing without the aid of photolens.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled [#permalink]
The OA here is E.

I see that it can be confusing from the other choices, which make it seem like the lions are playing in trees with cameras.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
pmenon wrote:
The OA here is E.

I see that it can be confusing from the other choices, which make it seem like the lions are playing in trees with cameras.

if it is a whole passage underline then most of the time it is E. so keep a "bird's eye" on Es
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [0]
Send PM
pmenon wrote:
981. The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.
(A) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.
(B) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania permits the visitor unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.
(C) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania gives the visitor the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without telephoto lenses.
(D) The visitor to the Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania has the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.
(E) Even without the aid of telephoto lenses, the visitor to Tanzania’s Lake Manyara Park has an unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees.

A. The Lake cannot afford anything..incorrect
B. see upside
C. see upside
D. unclear in that it seems that the lions play without lenses...
E. correct

can someone explain the difference between the verbs to permit, to allow and to perform
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
without the aid of telephoto lenses. this modifier should modify visitors. in A,B,C, and D it is modifying Tree.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.
(A) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses. Lions aren't playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.
(B) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania permits the visitor unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses. same modifier problem, and "permit" isn't a good word choice.
(C) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania gives the visitor the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without telephoto lenses. same modifier problem
(D) The visitor to the Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania has the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses. same modifier problem
(E) Even without the aid of telephoto lenses, the visitor to Tanzania’s Lake Manyara Park has an unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.

(A) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses. --> wrong: "lions playing w/o the aid of lenses" really !!!

(B) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania permits the visitor unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses. --> same as A

(C) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania gives the visitor the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without telephoto lenses. --> same as A

(D) The visitor to the Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania has the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.--> same as A

(E) Even without the aid of telephoto lenses, the visitor to Tanzania’s Lake Manyara Park has an unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees.--> correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V41
Send PM
The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled [#permalink]
@Sharadhha daagh GMATNinja

would be thankful if you could help me clear my doubt

i chose option c

"The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania gives the visitor the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without telephoto lenses"

because 1) it retains the original meaning according to which the subject is the lake and not a person
2) e-gmat always asks one to go by meaning , so it doesn't make sense for lions to be playing without telephoto
lenses ,and thus "without telephoto lenses" must modify "to photograph"

option e changes the intended meaning .

could you please help me with this
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:

(A) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.

(B) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania permits the visitor unequalled opportunities to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.

(C) The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania gives the visitor the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without telephoto lenses.

(D) The visitor to the Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania has the unequalled opportunity to photograph lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses.

So I read the first sentence (I mean option A) and it says "lions playing in trees without the aid of telephoto lenses" and feel hey that is not right.
Option B,C, and D do the same mistake. :shocked
So I mark E and that is the right answer.

Hence E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
What's wrong with C ?? Can anyone please throw some light on C ???
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
The Lake Manyara Park in Tanzania affords the visitor with unequalled [#permalink]
Expert Reply
itskAKku wrote:

C says:

This seems to suggest that lions are playing without telephoto lenses.

Worse still, "trees without telephoto lenses" could be another non-sensical interpretation.

Basically, this is a modifier problem: "without telephoto lenses" is supposed to modify "the visitor". Modifiers should be ideally placed as close as possible, to what they are modifying. But notice in case of C how far the modifier ("without telephoto lenses") is from what it is supposed to modify ("the visitor").
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
itskAKku wrote:

Hello itskAKku,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the construction of the phrase "playing in trees without telephoto lenses" implies that the lions were playing without telephoto lenses, whereas the intended meaning is that the visitor can photograph the lions without the help of telephoto lenses.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts