Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 13

The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:50) correct 12% (00:50) wrong based on 54 sessions
The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is passed...


could you please explain whats wrong with E?

source: go gmat
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

File comment: could you please explain whats wrong with E?
why E is incorrect_.png
why E is incorrect_.png [ 48.59 KiB | Viewed 2087 times ]

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 564
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 75

Re: could you please explain [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:57
Galiya wrote:
could you please explain whats wrong with E?

source: go gmat


Popularity of an actor has nothing to do with the profits made by the movies : not always possible .An actor who has received the award can ensure his own income but can not guarantee the movie's success commercially.Sometimes, the award can be won by an actor who has low commercial success though he is known worldwide and earn highest salary(actors of art movies etc) so (E) fails.

(C) is clearly inferred ; it says that nothing beyond the award is needed for an actor to become the most popular.

Hope this helps !
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post


Last edited by thevenus on 07 Aug 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: could you please explain [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:01
E is wrong because nothing has been mentioned about the profits/revenue of a movie in which the actor got the blah blah award...So this is actually out of scope.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 209
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: could you please explain [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 05:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
in inference questions we cannot assume anything outside the stimulus . . and for C the last line clearly states that lamma award winner is most recognized so no other reward is required. .

for E it tells about profitability of movies and we need to bring external assumption that profitable movies result from most recognized actors . .
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: could you please explain [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 10:28
C has too strong a language to be true. But rest 4 are worse.
So got no option other than C.

I doubt whether a ques like this can come in real exam.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 209
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [3] , given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: could you please explain [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 10:33
3
This post received
KUDOS
@ koolpari . .this is an inference ques. no need to check if the statement is strong worded or not . . we do check that mainly in strengthen/ weaken and assumption questions. here you just need to find if the statement can be inferred from the stimulus or not . .in this case yes we can infer it . .stimulus is very strong worded one . infact a weak answer should be something to watch for because of such strong worded stimulus
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Schools: McCombs '15 (A)
GRE 1: 323 Q164 V159
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 7

Re: The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 03:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Galiya wrote:
The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is passed...


could you please explain whats wrong with E?

source: go gmat


could you please explain whats wrong with option A?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 209
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 08:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
@namrta movie makers are out of scope, the stimulus talks about the actors only
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 261
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 313

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 05:36
The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor and is passed from one actor to another each year. In the movie industry, the actor who wins the Lamma Award automatically becomes the most highly paid and most recognized actor in the world.

Which of the following can be properly inferred?
(A)For all moviemakers, the Lamma Award is the most desired and praised award in the moviemaking industry.
(B)Other awards that are often granted to actors and moviemakers cannot significantly increase recognition for those to whom they are granted.
(C)No awards besides the Lamma Award need to be won for an actor to become the most recognized actor in the world.
(D)No actor is more popular than the one who has the Lamma Award.
(E)Movies starring an actor with the Lamma Award are the best-attended and most profitable movies.

Stuck between B & C ..

OA to follow soon .

Last edited by Narenn on 14 Jul 2013, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Merging Similar Topics. Refer to the discussion above.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 837
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 06:08
guerrero25 wrote:
The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor and is passed from one actor to another each year. In the movie industry, the actor who wins the Lamma Award automatically becomes the most highly paid and most recognized actor in the world.

Which of the following can be properly inferred?
(A)For all moviemakers, the Lamma Award is the most desired and praised award in the moviemaking industry.
(B)Other awards that are often granted to actors and moviemakers cannot significantly increase recognition for those to whom they are granted.
(C)No awards besides the Lamma Award need to be won for an actor to become the most recognized actor in the world.
(D)No actor is more popular than the one who has the Lamma Award.
(E)Movies starring an actor with the Lamma Award are the best-attended and most profitable movies.

.


hi,

imo C

CONCLUSION::: ==>the actor who wins the Lamma Award automatically becomes the most highly paid and most recognized actor in the world

==>IN SHORT We can say...if you want become famous===>one way is just win the GAMMA AWARDS===>it will automatically make you recognized.

note: this doesnt say that WINNING GAMMA award is the ONLY criteria.

(A)For all moviemakers, the Lamma Award is the most desired and praised award in the moviemaking industry.==>We Cant infer that whether it is most desired or not.==>out of context.

(B)Other awards that are often granted to actors and moviemakers cannot significantly increase recognition for those to whom they are granted.==>we cannot comment on other awards...because no information regarding other awards is given==>out of context.

(C)No awards besides the Lamma Award need to be won for an actor to become the most recognized actor in the world.==>correct==>if you win gamma...that is sufficient to make you famous==>restatement of conclusion.

(D)No actor is more popular than the one who has the Lamma Award.==>we cannot compare the popularity.

(E)Movies starring an actor with the Lamma Award are the best-attended and most profitable movies.==>cant infer

hence C
WAITING OA
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Princeton Review Representative
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 163
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Re: The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 23:25
Expert's post
This is an inference question so your goal is to find an answer that must be true based only on the information in the paragraph. The paragraph in this case tells us that the Llama award is passed from actor to actor every year and that winning the award automatically makes you the highest paid and most recognized actor in the world.

It is difficult to predict an inference answer becuase there could be several different inferences but we know we are looking for either something to do with winning the award from another actor or becoming the highest paid and most recognized actor. Any answer that brings in additional subject matter should be highly suspect.

A) is eliminated because it discusses moviemakers, not actors and the passage tells us nothing about moviemakers.

B) is eliminated becuase it discusses other awards, which are not included in the passage (often answers that use the word "other" are wrong in inference questions)

C) Is the correct answer - it basically says that to be the most recognized actor you only need the Llama award - a direct paraphrase of the paragraph.

D) This answer seems attractive but does a typical word shift - replacing highly paid and recognized with popular, which is not defined in the paragraph and thus should be eliminated.

E) We do not know the effect of the award on the movies - therefore this answer should be eliminated.
_________________

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 48
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 00:49
was stuck between C and D. Buts thanks to Priceton Review, my confusion has been sorted out. So C is the answer
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 41

Re: The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 01:39
blueseas wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor and is passed from one actor to another each year. In the movie industry, the actor who wins the Lamma Award automatically becomes the most highly paid and most recognized actor in the world.

Which of the following can be properly inferred?
(A)For all moviemakers, the Lamma Award is the most desired and praised award in the moviemaking industry.
(B)Other awards that are often granted to actors and moviemakers cannot significantly increase recognition for those to whom they are granted.
(C)No awards besides the Lamma Award need to be won for an actor to become the most recognized actor in the world.
(D)No actor is more popular than the one who has the Lamma Award.
(E)Movies starring an actor with the Lamma Award are the best-attended and most profitable movies.

.


hi,

imo C

CONCLUSION::: ==>the actor who wins the Lamma Award automatically becomes the most highly paid and most recognized actor in the world

==>IN SHORT We can say...if you want become famous===>one way is just win the GAMMA AWARDS===>it will automatically make you recognized.

note: this doesnt say that WINNING GAMMA award is the ONLY criteria.

(A)For all moviemakers, the Lamma Award is the most desired and praised award in the moviemaking industry.==>We Cant infer that whether it is most desired or not.==>out of context.

(B)Other awards that are often granted to actors and moviemakers cannot significantly increase recognition for those to whom they are granted.==>we cannot comment on other awards...because no information regarding other awards is given==>out of context.

(C)No awards besides the Lamma Award need to be won for an actor to become the most recognized actor in the world.==>correct==>if you win gamma...that is sufficient to make you famous==>restatement of conclusion.

(D)No actor is more popular than the one who has the Lamma Award.==>we cannot compare the popularity.

(E)Movies starring an actor with the Lamma Award are the best-attended and most profitable movies.==>cant infer

hence C
WAITING OA


Hi,

Not convinced with C. THe argument nowhere mentions that winning Lamma Award is the only way. There may be other ways too..

Other option are very extreme, so no other option than C. but still, not convinced with option C.

Thanks,
Jai
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Work hard in silence, let success make the noise
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 160
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 04:56
C can be clearly inferred from the above conclusion.

E is incorrect because even if the movies are not profitable the actor will still remain highly paid.
_________________

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Re: The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2013, 04:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The Lamma Award is given annually to only one actor guerrero25 0 14 Jul 2013, 06:08
1 If a doctor gives a patient only a few options for lifestyle soniedarshan 4 09 Jun 2013, 09:42
3 Artists at the workshop, one who is an award winner, will jitbec 6 05 Mar 2012, 09:45
5 In the game Cako, a player is awarded one tick for every bipolarbear 19 31 Jul 2009, 13:34
Can any one give explanation MBA2ran 5 09 Apr 2007, 21:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Lamma award is give annually to only one actor and is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.