Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:46) correct 42% (01:01) wrong based on 126 sessions
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or

How does "and" change the meaning in E in comparison with A?
How should we understand the meaning of that choice?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: Book publisher [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 12:54
my understanding :

it will publish 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

E : It will publish digital works.... AND.....It will sell them online.

A : It will publish digital works .....TO BE..... Sold online

Why is the company publishing digital works ? What is it's INTENT ? Bxn A n E, do we get an answer to our above query ...........

Yes A speaks of an intent by virtue of the usage of Infinitive : works are published - Why? ------To be sold online

whereas in E, the preceeding n following clause appears to be two separate actions which contextually/ or going by the intent ----- is quite offbeat

In E, it appears as if both 1. It publishes the work , 2. It sells online ----have equal weightage

But the case is not so : Actually, The 2nd follows the first : It publishes something with some intent in mind either to sell online or to sell through retail outlets ....... ie the 2nd action is somewhat dependent on the 1st.

So the usage of AND ( that demands both the P n F section to carry equal weightage ) is not desirable here.

Leading to OA A

Hope I didn't confuse much.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1375 [0], given: 245

Re: Book publisher [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 23:41
Expert's post
The intent of the text is that the company will (only) publish the works: it does not make it explicit that the co. itself is going to sell them. May be it may sell through some third party arrangement or give the rights to some Amazon.com. But meaning-wise, all choices, B through E mean to say that the company itself intends to sell the works, a factor that distorts the original meaning.
But this topic also tests correlative conjunctional //ism.

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or ….. either electronic books or downloadable copies; correct correlative conjnl. //ism.

B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or … either as x or y; //ism missing
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as; as either x or as y; // distorted.
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as ; as either x or as y - //ism distorted.
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or ; as either x or y. //ism ok but intent distorted.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 279

CAT Tests
Re: Book publisher [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 01:19
Can anyone explain why C is wrong. the sentence says 'it will publish....' So shouldn't it be it will sell??
Even the idiom either or is maintained. I am a little confused over here.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Book publisher [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 01:56
Expert's post
The text says that the company will publish; it does not say that the company will sell. We cannot assume that the company will also sell just because the company will publish; probably it might be tempting to think so, because it is paralleling or rhyming well, but it distorts the content and concept of the original.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 17

Re: Book publisher [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 05:09
Hi Daagh,

As far as meaning goes, I understand your logic about (A). However, what is the correct way to use "either/or" along with "as". Would (A) still be correct if it is rephrased as "works to be sold online either as electronic books or as" ..............Note here that I have placed "as" after "either" and have placed another "as" after "or".

Meaning wise, is either of the following same:
1) As either X or Y
2) Either as X or as Y

Thanks.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Book publisher [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 05:23
Expert's post
Yes. You are absolutely right; both are correct as per the tenets of correlative conjunctional use. What comes after Either should be repeated after Or

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 3

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C and D are out right away because "as either" should be "either as" to match "or as." B is out because "or" should have "as" after it to match "either as." These are very easy parallelism issues to catch.

The easiest way to get rid of E is to notice that "them" is trying to refer to something in the subordinate clause.

A's parallel structures and pronouns are all correct.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1066 [1] , given: 118

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or
Right idiom: as either X or Y.

B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or
Wrong idiom: either as X or Y.

C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as
Wrong idiom: as either X or as Y.

D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as
Wrong. "will publish" and "selling" are not parallel.

E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or
Wrong. The use of "it" is redundant because same subject.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2013, 21:47