Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (01:56) correct 20% (01:04) wrong based on 112 sessions
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1324

Kudos [?]: 3792 [6] , given: 192

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a very good question that exemplifies the importance of understanding the meaning of the sentence in order to arrive at the correct answer:
Check out this video for detailed explanation. Note that I have only discussed choices A and E in the video.

Let me know if you have any other doubts about this :)

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
According to me the correct sentence should either use the format "as either X or Y" or it should use "either as X or as Y". Only A and E does that.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A,

IN E , it is not required after comma

Wats the OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
arorag wrote:
The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or

Answer is A. in E, as shown above, no need to have ", and it will". Other choices have a problem of location of the "as".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 315

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
vbalex wrote:
I chose A. In B: "either as....or", we need "as" after "or". In C: we have "as either"..."or as"-wrong. In D: the same problem, plus "selling" which is wrong. E affects the meaning of the sentence, because it says that the books will be sold under the "new digital imprint division".

i choose A. (E) breaks the paralelism. We dont use the structure " and it" when we have "it" as referent to the same subject "The largest trade-book publisher in the US". you can study more the grammar point in Ron's explanation here:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... 19-15.html
hope it helps

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or --- Correct
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or --- "as" is wrong here (it should be "either as X or as Y")
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as -- again wrong for same reason as of B
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as --- selling them wrong
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or --- "it will sell them "-- no need of this
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
IMO it's A ...as only option A is structurally(Either....Or) correct.
aquarius24 wrote:

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or --- Correct
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or --- "as" is wrong here (it should be "either as X or as Y")
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as -- again wrong for same reason as of B
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as --- selling them wrong
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or --- "it will sell them "-- no need of this
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 1467 [1] , given: 122

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS

A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or - CORRECT
B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or - WRONG - either as X.... or Y (should be either as X or as Y)
C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as - WRONG - as either X .... or as Y (should be as either X or Y)
D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as - WRONG - as either X....or as (should be as either X or Y)
E) works, and it will sell them online as either electronic books or - WRONG - same subject, so "it" is redundant. Moreover, never use a comma before and to link two dependent clauses.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 09:53
I assume the answer is A. Can you post the OA, please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 06:23
I chose A. In B: "either as....or", we need "as" after "or". In C: we have "as either"..."or as"-wrong. In D: the same problem, plus "selling" which is wrong. E affects the meaning of the sentence, because it says that the books will be sold under the "new digital imprint division".
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: SC trade-book publisher [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 09:13
A.
E is too wordy and that "it" is quiet unnecessary .

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 11:14
I am unable to spot errors in choice E. I think E does not have any errors. I dont agree with other posters that E is wordy. So I am stuck between A and E. What am I missing?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 16:52
what's the underlined portion?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:07
IMO A.............. E is perfect but wordy!!!!!! :wink:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 275

Kudos [?]: 1774 [0], given: 249

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 07:19
Expert's post
The important thing to note in this context is that by using the passive voice ‘to be sold’ the text does not say who is going to sell the digital works. To assume that the company itself is going to sell them is a significant change of meaning. That is the reason choices B, C, D, and E fall by the wayside. D in addition is a fragment. Then add to this the additional grammar requirement of correlative conjunction parallelism and you will find A glaring as the right choice, even dispelling the close E.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 102

Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 10:15
egmat wrote:
This is a very good question that exemplifies the importance of understanding the meaning of the sentence in order to arrive at the correct answer:
Check out this video for detailed explanation. Note that I have only discussed choices A and E in the video.

Let me know if you have any other doubts about this :)

Payal

Hi, You said said there is no grammatical error in E. But I am confused that why I will use comma before and to indicate two independent clause. Besides, Use of "it" after and makes the choice redundant. Because " it" is not at all necessary if I even want to mean that publisher will sell the them. Would you please correct me?
Re: The largest trade-book publisher in the US has announced the   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2014, 10:15