Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [94]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [40]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [9]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Re: The lawyers for the patent holder pressed the federal judge to impose [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
a. who is they? lawyers? Federal judges? Manufacturer? or Federal judges and manufacturer togther? use of 'they' is creating ambiguity here
b. judge is made the agent of action, moreover 'from suffering further damages of an economic nature ' is very wordy - 'damages of an econmic nature' means 'economic damages'- use of such convoluted language makes this option incorrect.
c. similar to a, wrong use of they. also further damages being suffered is wrong. If the damages are further (in future, more than current) than how can they be 'being suffered' right now. being is continuous form, and is used wrongly here.
d. prevent whom? ambiguous use of them.
e. use of their here has a clear antecedent- lawyers. correct option.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The lawyers for the patent holder pressed the federal judge to impose [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The Command subjunctive is used when the verb indicates a desire, intention, command, recommendation, request, resolution, or advice. It is also used along with such words as advisable, better, desirable, directive, essential, fitting, imperative, important, necessary, urge, urgent and vital etc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
"They" is ambiguous.

"Argue" should not be followed by a subjunctive.

Only E is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I was confused between B and E, but I finally selected B, thinking that E looses the information by making an active voice to passive voice. Please help how to avoid this trap(where more focus should be on actual meaning and where more focus should be on wordiness)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
I was confused between B and E, but I finally selected B, thinking that E looses the information by making an active voice to passive voice. Please help how to avoid this trap(where more focus should be on actual meaning and where more focus should be on wordiness)

Sorry, your query is not clear - the preference for E over B is not because of wordiness or original meaning.

B is wrong not because of wordiness or meaning, but because of faulty use of subjunctive. The verb "argue" is not a bossy verb, and hence the use of subjunctive "judge act immediately " is wrong - it is a grammatical error.

(If there is only one grammatically correct option, you have to select the same, irrespective of whether it maintains the meaning of the original sentence. Nowhere in the official guide is it stated that the correct option should have the same meaning as the original sentence. In case there are more than one gramatically correct options, then select the one that adheres to the meaning of the original sentence.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

Sorry, your query is not clear - the preference for E over B is not because of wordiness or original meaning.

B is wrong not because of wordiness or meaning, but because of faulty use of subjunctive. The verb "argue" is not a bossy verb, and hence the use of subjunctive "judge act immediately " is wrong - it is a grammatical error.

(If there is only one grammatically correct option, you have to select the same, irrespective of whether it maintains the meaning of the original sentence. Nowhere in the official guide is it stated that the correct option should have the same meaning as the original sentence. In case there are more than one gramatically correct options, then select the one that adheres to the meaning of the original sentence.)

But your answer cleared my query for rejecting the wrong answer. :-D

1. I read one post in the discussion which also describes argue as bossy verb. However, I don't know what are the bossy verbs. I tried to search, but I did not understand anything except the sentence that imperative verbs are bossy verbs.

2. I know the usage of subjunctive verbs-- demand, dictate, insist, mandate, request, recommend, suggest stipulate(some are optional-- ask, beg, urge, prefer, desire, intend, order require).

But I have seen some posts on gmatclab, the post that sometimes subjunctive verbs does not act as subjunctive verbs.For instance--
A study conducted by researchers suggests that cat walk more in winter than in summer to keep its body warm. -- wrong

A study conducted by researchers suggests that cat walks more in winter than in summer to keep its body warm-- Correct

Because the study is not giving any suggestion so it should not be treated as subjunctive verb. Correct me if I am wrong.

I suggest him that he eat less to stay fit-- correct

2. I have read in one of your posts that two modifiers can not refer to the same noun if they are not connected by conjunction

The dog lying behind my house and black in color is sick. --correct

However,

A study conducted by researchers on cat suggests that.............

Modifier--on cat
and
conducted by researchers
modifies a study

But writing the below statement seems awkward to me, please help. I always struggle when same noun is modified by more than one modifier
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

But your answer cleared my query for rejecting the wrong answer. :-D

1. I read one post in the discussion which also describes argue as bossy verb. However, I don't know what are the bossy verbs. I tried to search, but I did not understand anything except the sentence that imperative verbs are bossy verbs.

2. I know the usage of subjunctive verbs-- demand, dictate, insist, mandate, request, recommend, suggest stipulate(some are optional-- ask, beg, urge, prefer, desire, intend, order require).

But I have seen some posts on gmatclab, the post that sometimes subjunctive verbs does not act as subjunctive verbs.For instance--
A study conducted by researchers suggests that cat walk more in winter than in summer to keep its body warm. -- wrong

A study conducted by researchers suggests that cat walks more in winter than in summer to keep its body warm-- Correct

Because the study is not giving any suggestion so it should not be treated as subjunctive verb. Correct me if I am wrong.

I suggest him that he eat less to stay fit-- correct

2. I have read in one of your posts that two modifiers can not refer to the same noun if they are not connected by conjunction

The dog lying behind my house and black in color is sick. --correct

However,

A study conducted by researchers on cat suggests that.............

Modifier--on cat
and
conducted by researchers
modifies a study

But writing the below statement seems awkward to me, please help. I always struggle when same noun is modified by more than one modifier

1. The term "bossy" is used in Manhattan SC guide to explain which kind of verbs are suitable for use of command subjunctive.

2. Very well explained. ("suggest" may or may not be bossy).

3. This is an exception of modifier touch rule. Manhattan SC guide lists the exceptions. The first one is as follows:
A mission critical modifier (again seems to be a Manhattan-coined term) may come in between a modifer and the noun it refers to. The latter modifer then modifes the entire noun+ first modifer. So in this case the modifier "on cat" modifies "A study conducted by researchers ", not just " A study". ("conducted by researchers" as usual modifies the noun it touches, i.e. "A study").
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Schools: NUS '20
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
isn't option E omitting the doer of action??

i have read that words that provide context should not be omitted or added to the original sentence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM