Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The lieutenant reminded Company B that the only information

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The lieutenant reminded Company B that the only information [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 12:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:55) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The lieutenant reminded Company B that the only information to be given to the enemy if captured was each individual's name, rank, and serial number.

(A) same as original
(B) the only information to be given to the enemy if they were captured was each individual's name, rank, and serial number
(C) the only information to be given to the enemy if captured were each individual's name, rank, and serial number
(D) , if captured, the only information to be given to the enemy was each individual's name, rank, and what his serial number was
(E) , if they were captured, the only information to be given to the enemy was each individual's name, rank, and serial number

please explain
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 13:33
Going with E on this one. The closer the "they" is to the company it refers to the cleaner the meaning. O/wise "they" is ambiguous as to whether it refers to enemy or company.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Lieutenant [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 13:34
Prof,
Can you please explain? I am as yet to review the verbal section basics.
Thanks

Professor wrote:
u2lover wrote:
The lieutenant reminded Company B that the only information to be given to the enemy if captured was each individual's name, rank, and serial number.

(A) same as original
(B) the only information to be given to the enemy if they were captured was each individual's name, rank, and serial number
(C) the only information to be given to the enemy if captured were each individual's name, rank, and serial number
(D) , if captured, the only information to be given to the enemy was each individual's name, rank, and what his serial number was
(E) , if they were captured, the only information to be given to the enemy was each individual's name, rank, and serial number

C. subjunctive-conditional.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 13:38
^ E ^

In A, B and C we understand that "if the enemy is captured". However, if he is captured why they should give information to him ??

So we are left with D and E.

In D, it sounds as if the information is captured.

So, I choose E.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 14:26
Can you tell me what subjuntive-conditional is?

selene wrote:
^ E ^

In A, B and C we understand that "if the enemy is captured". However, if he is captured why they should give information to him ??

So we are left with D and E.

In D, it sounds as if the information is captured.

So, I choose E.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Lieutenant [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 14:29
u2lover wrote:

(A) same as original

please explain

A is wrong as it gives the impression that enemy is captured
B - not sure who they refer to, company or enemy
C - same as B
D - same as above
E - should do it, clearly defines who they are.

I believe its yogurt!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 17:55
I believe its "C".

the only information to be given to the enemy if captured were each individual's name, rank, and serial number

I think "were" is required instead of "was" since there is more than one piece of information.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 18:28
I'm going with E.
C is wrong because it gives the meaning that enemy if captured, which is not the case.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 19:45
E it is.

C seems wrong because "information" is singular and C uses "were". Also "they" is closer to the company in E.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 21:21
Will go with E.

Subjunctive conditional and also removes the ambiguity of who is captured.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Lieutenant [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 22:25
u2lover wrote:

(A) same as original

please explain

I would go with E.

In E, "they" is closer to Company B and hence does not create any ambiguity whereas in other options "they" does not have clear reference.

Moreover, "the only information" is singular so we need singular verb "was".

Regards,
Brajesh
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2006, 22:00
can anyone expalin what "they" mean? how it fits into this sentence?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 09:20
Professor wrote:

Yeah, can anyone shed some light as to why the correct answer uses "they"? I eliminated E based on the fact that "they" is ambiguous. Does it refer to Company B? and if it does why use "they" since "Company B" is a collective noun...

OA is E

OE: Choices D and E correct the misplaced modifier, but choice D has an error in ||-structure. The noun clause "what his serial number was" is not || with "name" and "rank"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 15:33
u2lover wrote:
Professor wrote:

Yeah, can anyone shed some light as to why the correct answer uses "they"? I eliminated E based on the fact that "they" is ambiguous. Does it refer to Company B? and if it does why use "they" since "Company B" is a collective noun...

OA is E

OE: Choices D and E correct the misplaced modifier, but choice D has an error in ||-structure. The noun clause "what his serial number was" is not || with "name" and "rank"

What is the source? You gotta be careful with OE...cant trust too many except OGs and a few

I believe its yogurt!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 21:06
this came from Barrons 2001 "how to prepare for gmat"

i know... Barrons sucks in terms of expanation but some of their ?s are not that bad and I am only doing SC from there
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 01:40
Professor wrote:

Professor,

Here "they" refers to Company B -- the people working for the company --
And we must put "if they were captured" at the beginning of our choice, otherwise it modifies the enemy or as in D, the information and that is not we want.

In this question, like some of the GMAT question, it is essential that we understand the meaning. We need to eliminate choices as I tried to explain in my earlier post.

:king
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 05:06
u2lover wrote:

i know... Barrons sucks in terms of expanation but some of their ?s are not that bad and I am only doing SC from there

Buddy, not to discourage you, but barron is not at all suggested for anything. I have not heard people doing Barron, at least on this forum.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 10:20
ps_dahiya wrote:
u2lover wrote:

Buddy, not to discourage you, but barron is not at all suggested for anything. I have not heard people doing Barron, at least on this forum.

I am only doing selected ?s suggested in GMAX homework... I don't even have the book because it is on the handout... I read a lot of review posts to know better, so getting the book didn't even cross my mind... but thanks ps_dahiya...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Lieutenant [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 10:49
u2lover wrote:

(A) same as original

please explain

i will go with E ,,,,,since information will take along "was" and not ""were"
E is more concise than D( parallelism---name , rank and serial no.)
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 18:37
IMO "E" will be wrong on GMAT for SV agreement. 'they' also creates confusion about whom it is referring to.

Folks, be careful with Barrons. My suggestion, just ignore this & go ahead.
  [#permalink] 12 Jun 2006, 18:37