Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The link between alcohol advertising and increased alcohol

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 974

The link between alcohol advertising and increased alcohol [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 02:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:06) correct 24% (01:34) wrong based on 66 sessions
The link between alcohol advertising and increased alcohol consumption in tenuous at best. In France, for instance, alcohol consumption among teen-agers has continued to rise despite a ban on alcohol advertising.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

(A) Most French teenagers are aware of the debilitating effect that excessive alcohol consumption can have on a person’s health
(B) Most French teenagers watch television channels that broadcast from countries where alcohol advertising is legal
(C) Most French teenagers who drink alcohol have at least one parent who also drinks alcohol (D) French teenagers who drink regularly tend to miss more days of school than those do not drink
(E) A corporation’s stock increases in value over the short term only when the corporation’s long-term growth prospects are good.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: alcohol advertising [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 07:23
Conclusion: Link between advertising and increased alcohol consumption is not very strong.
Premise: Alcohol consumption among teen-agers has continued to rise in France despite a ban on alcohol advertising.
Ideal answer: French teenagers are exposed to alcohol advertising and the rise in alcohol consumption among French teenagers is a result of that.

Option B is the correct option.
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 7

Re: alcohol advertising [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 09:25
I'd like add another piece of CR "Weaken the Conclusion" advice here. In addition to identifying the conclusion and the premises, you want to make an effort to identify the assumptions upon which the argument depends. Once you've identified that assumption, the best way to weaken the conclusion is to simply strike down that assumption. For example, here the argument assumes the following:

-Advertisers actually listen to the ban
-The ban was enacted long enough ago that you'd expect it to have had an impact already.
-French teens get their advertisements from sources subject to this ban (i.e. from France).

Certainly there are other assumptions here also. My point is that if you can train yourself to actively identify the assumptions as you're reading, you'll know what to look for in the answer choices. If you don't have a hypothesis to test, it's easy to look at answer choices and sort of convince yourself that they make sense.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 109

Re: alcohol advertising [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 02:02
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 21

Re: alcohol advertising [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 03:16
Got it right.thanks for the question.
Re: alcohol advertising   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 03:16