Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:00

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (01:35) correct 17% (00:54) wrong based on 56 sessions
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 23:56
go for B.

list of/group of should be treated as singular, if I am right here.
also preference to ...is more idiomatic?
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 00:05
This post received
KUDOS
that refers to animals (not list) so has to be followed by a plural noun exhibit .

list is singular so should take singular noun has

"preference for" is idiomatic.
"prefer to" - e.g. prefer X to Y - is also idiomatic
"preference to" is not idiomatic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 04:39
I also chose D,

E however confuses me a bit. Is it ever ok to say "preference as to..." or is the idiom always preference for?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 06:56
I picked B, and I got it wrong.

OA is D.

GMATHopeful explained it well. I thought the subject was LIST so I eliminated C, D, E and already got it wrong by doing that.

GMAThopeful wrote:
that refers to animals (not list) so has to be followed by a plural noun exhibit .

list is singular so should take singular noun has

"preference for" is idiomatic.
"prefer to" - e.g. prefer X to Y - is also idiomatic
"preference to" is not idiomatic
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 11:24
Animals that exhibit, So, A & B are out.

Preference for is better

Choice D.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
I chose D, animals exhibit list has

preference for is correct
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: SC-Claw, Paw or Foot [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 06:13
IMO:D. sentence should read List of animals that exhibit( Subject Verb agreement)- this rules out a,b. And Preference for is correct usage.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC-Claw, Paw or Foot [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Another important split is the use of correct parallelism of correlative conjunction ‘either – or’
Only B and D use the correct parallelism of using ‘either the right hand or left hand.’ Then B is wrong because of ‘exhibits

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-Claw, Paw or Foot [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 16:06
D it is!!

It's not the list that exhibits a preference. The animals are the ones that exhibit a preference.

So it must be the plural verb exhibit.

Choice C is not parallel --> Either [using right hand] or [left hand (*missing the word using]
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Claw, Paw or Foot [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 01:45
D
Going by meaning subject of exhibit is animals so eliminate a & b
Preference for is idiomatic so pick D
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 51 [3] , given: 105

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
An important bunch of rules that will come in handy.. I guarantee :-D

One of the X's that/who <plural>
One of the X's <singular>
Only one of the X's <singular>
Only one of the X's that/who <plural>
The only one of the X's that/who <singular>

C D and E perfectly follows the above rule - The list of animal's that exhibit <plural>
Using POE u can easily arrive at D
Preference for - idiomatic

Hope this helps
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 103

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 04:11
This post received
KUDOS
to solve it i used:

The list (of animals that exhibit XXX)

has been expanded (to include XXXX).

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 05:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 42

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 03:12
Hello All,

the sentence states :"The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

"that" is clearly referring to the list, because later the sentence states that "has been expanded to include vertebrates" and "animals" cannot expand to include some other type of animals. The list should expand.

Therefore I think that either A or B should be right.

Please someone provide further explanation.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 2

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
papua wrote:
Hello All,

the sentence states :"The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

"that" is clearly referring to the list, because later the sentence states that "has been expanded to include vertebrates" and "animals" cannot expand to include some other type of animals. The list should expand.

Therefore I think that either A or B should be right.

Please someone provide further explanation.

Hi papua,

'that' in this sentence refers to 'animals' not 'the list'. You have correctly said that 'animals' cannot be expanded so the subject for the verb 'has been expanded' should be 'the list'. On the similar lines, we can say that 'the list' cannot exhibit preference for using either the right hand or the left hand. So, the subject for the verb exhibit/exhibits should be the one that can exhibit this preference. Hence, 'that' refers to animals.

Let’s understand the structure and meaning of the sentence:

The list of animals
o that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

MEANING

• This sentence tells us about a list of animals. This list has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
• These animals exhibit a preference for using either the left hand or the right hand.

Note that, if ‘that’ refers to ‘the list’, then the meaning of the sentence will become the list exhibits a preference for using the left or the right hand. This does not make sense.

OPTION A

1. The singular verb ‘exhibits’ does not agree with the plural ‘that’, since ‘that’ here refers to ‘animals’.
2. ‘preference of’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.

OPTION B

1. The singular verb ‘exhibits’ does not agree with the plural ‘that’, since ‘that’ here refers to ‘animals’.
2. ‘…has been expanded and includes…. ’ does not convey the intended meaning. It should be ‘…..has been expanded to include…. ’, since the purpose of expanding the list was to include the lower vertebrates.

OPTION C

1. ‘preference in’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.
2. The structure ‘either using the right or the left hand’ is not parallel. The structure that follows ‘either’ should be similar to the structure that follows ‘or.

OPTION D

‘Preference for’ is correct usage.
‘using either the right or the left hand’ maintains parallelism.

OPTION E

1. ‘…has been expanded and includes…. ’ does not convey the intended meaning. It should be ‘…..has been expanded to include…. ’, since the purpose of expanding the list was to include the lower vertebrates.
2. ‘preference as to’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.
3. The structure ‘either using the right or the left hand’ is not parallel. The structure that follows ‘either’ should be similar to the structure that follows ‘or.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 04:48