Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The local board of education found that, because the current

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
The local board of education found that, because the current [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 01:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:46) correct 19% (01:16) wrong based on 130 sessions
The local board of education found that, because the current physics curriculum has little direct relevance to today’s world, physics classes attracted few high school students. So to attract students to physics classes, the board proposed a curriculum that emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to expect that the proposed curriculum will be successful in attracting students?
(A) Several of the fundamental principles of physics are involved in producing and analyzing visual images.
(B) Knowledge of physics is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world.
(C) Equipment that a large producer of photographic equipment has donated to the high school could be used in the proposed curriculum.
(D) The number of students interested in physics today is much lower than the number of students interested in physics 50 years ago.
(E) In today’s world the production and analysis of visual images is of major importance in communications, business, and recreation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: local board of education found that [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 13:31
E is the right one.

Meaning : Current curriculum is less relevant to today’s world -> attracting less students. To attract students -> change curriculum to emphasize X thing.
So we will look for answer choice which would explain importance of X, or that students are attracted to subjects involving X.

E satisfies this:

(E) In today’s world the production and analysis of visual images is of major importance in communications, business, and recreation.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: The local board of education found that, because the current [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:48
its e because it is only option whjich weakens the conclusion
here i was struck with option a for a while
but after going through e i thoroughly picked it

just one more month for exam...

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 5

Re: local board of education found that [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 19:07
Expert's post
piyatiwari wrote:
E is the right one.

Meaning : Current curriculum is less relevant to today’s world -> attracting less students. To attract students -> change curriculum to emphasize X thing.
So we will look for answer choice which would explain importance of X, or that students are attracted to subjects involving X.

E satisfies this:

I like this response, so I will just add to it a bit. The purpose of this question is to see if you can create a stronger bond between the premises to the conclusion. Premise: Curriculum isn't relevant so fewer students. Conclusion: To get more students the board will emphasize physics involved in producing visual images. There is a logical gap here (or assumption) - somehow this new curriculum of visual images must be more relevant in today's world. Since we are strengthening the conclusion, we want an answer choice that explicitly states what we are assuming to be true.

Answer choice E explicitly states our assumption. Visual images are very relelvant in today's world, so our conclusion that the course will attract more students (due to relevancy of curriculum) has been strenghtened.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Re: The local board of education found that, because the current [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 18:16
I answered this one incorrectly at first.

Here is my thinking from the second time around:

Curriculum with little relevance >>> Low attendance

Curriculum with Production and Visual images is more relevant >>> So more people will attend

We assume that Production and Visual Images is relevant .

Strengthen: Production and Visual Images IS relevant.

Does my reasoning make sense?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 5

Re: The local board of education found that, because the current [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 06:44
Expert's post
jogorhu wrote:
I answered this one incorrectly at first.

Here is my thinking from the second time around:

Curriculum with little relevance >>> Low attendance

Curriculum with Production and Visual images is more relevant >>> So more people will attend

We assume that Production and Visual Images is relevant .

Strengthen: Production and Visual Images IS relevant.

Does my reasoning make sense?

Yes, your reasoning makes sense - you need to find an answer choice that states your assumption that Production and Visual Images are relevant (E is that answer).

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: The local board of education found that, because the current   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2012, 06:44