Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2009 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 07:08
no worries mate..

ya its a blessing in disguise... i will re apply later when things look sane.

btw.. HSBC just laid off a juge chunk of its london i banking division today.... including new folks who joined in from B schools.. its getting nasty out there.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 09:19
aviroop wrote:
no worries mate..

ya its a blessing in disguise... i will re apply later when things look sane.

btw.. HSBC just laid off a juge chunk of its london i banking division today.... including new folks who joined in from B schools.. its getting nasty out there.

tough luck Avi, your ding email was far better than mine. They didn't show me any remorse :(

As far as IB goes. Today I am at a client site (large IB division) and I am kidding you not, the crates are out - presumably for staff to put stuff into. It's getting really ugly here in London.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 20:37
It is ugly indeed. I left London to go back to Canada where the market is seemingly much safer.

Best Regards,

Paul

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 02:58
another brutal and shitty day in the markets today - 2 more friends of mine lost their jobs in IB and private banking. Will go out with them for some grief counseling.

I am very good in motivating people and showing them the light at the end of the tunnel. kind of been there and done that already, so I am being a default expert.

I am racking a lot of brownie points in being a good samaritian so heavenly abode is secured. Now time to invest in some beer stocks, drink with my job loss friends and have a devilishly wild Wednesday. At this rate, I am losing more money on beer than on stocks.

bsd - I mite be still in London. And if things work out, I mite look into the part time programs also. So I may not be your class mate, but can still be your city mate. you do the networking for me, I find the party places for you.
buff, gang and other on this board - the same holds for you. If i am back in london, will holla up all of you guys.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 08:05
Are any other Americans ecstatic about the exchange rate? $1.4778 USD to 1 GBP. Unheard of. When I was in London a few years ago it was hovering between $1.8 - $1.9. I may actually have to apply to LBS now :)

The fees and tuition for the full 2 years are $67,239. This is a bargain compared to the American schools! It's even cheaper than UCLA's in-state rate.

Does anyone else foresee a huge spike in Round 2 applications due to this?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 13:51
That really is an excellent observation (too bad the Australian dollar has gone the other way). You may be right about more applications - not just because of the "bargain factor" but because schools in America are that extra bit tougher to get into this year.

Do apply agold :)

agold wrote:
Are any other Americans ecstatic about the exchange rate? $1.4778 USD to 1 GBP. Unheard of. When I was in London a few years ago it was hovering between $1.8 - $1.9. I may actually have to apply to LBS now :)

The fees and tuition for the full 2 years are $67,239. This is a bargain compared to the American schools! It's even cheaper than UCLA's in-state rate.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 17:08
agold wrote:

I was thinking about this as well. If I get into any British schools and decide to matriculate, I was wondering if I can expedite loans and have them disburse immediately in case the exchange rate reverses in the near future.

For once, I'm happy that I'm paid in USD and live/work in Australia and Asia... 8-)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 17:11
the pound has been hovering around the 1.5 mark for a month now. But I dont know if this will be an added stimulus. If you are going to study on a student loan, and unless u hedge the pound at 1.47 against the dollar, knowing that 2 years later u will be paying off the loan at that exchange rate, then it makes a great benefit.
Else it doesnt make much sense, since the dollar has to come down once the markets stabilize. And that will wipe out the perceived savings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 22:41
Good point, aviroop -- I'm not 100% sure, but I thought with our American federal and Stafford loans, the amount is loaned and paid back in dollars, even for international schools -- hence the reason I would want to convert to pounds with an early disbursement out to LBS while the rate is as it is. But you're right that if the loan is in pounds, the exchange rate is only going to matter at the time of repayment.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 07:17
Hey Guys,

I just started browsing for lbs application. I am from India, yet another IT guy. This post gave me more insights into lbs application process. Thanks for posting useful information.

I am planning to apply for R2. I am going to start working on my essays. Any suggestions would be really helpful regarding the Essay for International experience.

My profile is :

Gmat score - 640 (v32 q47 awa 5).
work ex - around 30 months, working in a top internet firm.
extra curricular - strong.
Essays/Recos - trying to make them strong.
education - 78/100.

My problem is low gmat score and since I am from india, the applicant pool is pretty large. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Anyone else is planning to apply for R2, best of luck.

~ashish
Intern
Intern

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2008, 04:02
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to take GMAT again if I will get the time. But one thing which I found was, Lbs do not pay much attention to GMAT score as compared to work experience. I agree that my work experience needs to be excellent to mitigate for my low gmat score.

I forgot to mention that currently, we have also started a new venture which is doing pretty good at the moment. So that will also help me in explaining my case to the Adcoms.

I think lower gmat scores can be covered if one has strong work experience.I have strong work experience and also, I had worked as head of Community services for Rotaract.

Thanks for the help,
Ashish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2008, 07:29
Agree with you that lbs may not pay that much attention to gmat scores vs work exp but nonetheless, considering the 690 average, you are probably at the lower end of the applicant pool and certainly more than 2 st. dev. away from your own applicant pool. Actually, my flatmate, and classmate, had a 640 gmat and he got in but he got much international experience working across 3 continents to compensate for his lower score.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 06:18
Hey Paul,

Thanks for sharing the information. I also have experience of working in 3 continents :), but when considered time wise, not much. I agree that I am almost 2 st dev away from avg score and that really makes my chances less but I am confident that my work ex can compensate for the low gmat score.

Thanks,
Ashish
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Inviting LBS Round 2 applicants !!!!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 09:55
[edited by Buff: Hi sset009, i'd think we should stick with one thread to collate statistics over the whole year, welcome to the LBS thread!]

Hi guys,

jsut a forum for all R2 applicants.
post questions, and hoping that we can get advice from alumni and R1 candidates.

cheers

sset009

Last edited by buffdaddy on 24 Nov 2008, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
merged post to keep everything LBS admissions related in one thread
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 17:02
agold wrote:

Funny you mention this, some Americans here in the program are either really pissed or happy. The pissed ones are those who paid the full year tuition in September when the exchange rate was really shitty ($1.8 per pound). The happy ones are those who decided to pay in two installments at later dates for an additional £250, which will now save them thousands.

Not sure how this will impact R2 apps. R1 apps were up only 10%, which isn't too bad, though most apps are received in R2 (even R3 has more apps than R1). On the other hand, I wouldn't just apply to LBS b/c of the weak pound. Who knows how the exchange rate will look like in Sept 09...

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 16:49
I know that interviewers get to review your application before the interview? Do they get to see your recommendations too?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 18:06
Hope all of you in the U.S. had a great Thanksgiving. I have been working on my LBS essays in between family time and bits of turkey. I am planning on applying to LBS R2, and I wondering if anyone has any guidance on 2 questions I have.

1. Where are people talking about their extracurriculars? I noticed there isn't a separate section for this in the application like there is on other business school applications. All I can see is the little section asking for a quick overview of things you enjoy doing outside of work. I mentioned a couple things in my "teamwork" essay--would you say this is the best opportunity to mention extra-curriculars outside of the small section? I thought about putting something in the "clubs" essay, but this doesn't seem appropriate. Thoughts?

2. Anyone know about what percent of applicants are invited to interview and chances of acceptance once you have been interviewed?

Any guidance thoughts would be appreciated! Also, if someone could add my name to the list at the beginning, Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 22:56
getmeouttahere wrote:
I know that interviewers get to review your application before the interview? Do they get to see your recommendations too?

I read somewhere (I think Clear Admit) that LBS gives recommenders your entire application, but not your transcripts or recommendations. It makes sense since I think there are strict confidentiality guidelines around those two documents (since they involve third-parties), and alumni are not technically part of the adcom.

Last edited by prashok on 29 Nov 2008, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 23:01
rosav wrote:
Hope all of you in the U.S. had a great Thanksgiving. I have been working on my LBS essays in between family time and bits of turkey. I am planning on applying to LBS R2, and I wondering if anyone has any guidance on 2 questions I have.

1. Where are people talking about their extracurriculars? I noticed there isn't a separate section for this in the application like there is on other business school applications. All I can see is the little section asking for a quick overview of things you enjoy doing outside of work. I mentioned a couple things in my "teamwork" essay--would you say this is the best opportunity to mention extra-curriculars outside of the small section? I thought about putting something in the "clubs" essay, but this doesn't seem appropriate. Thoughts?

2. Anyone know about what percent of applicants are invited to interview and chances of acceptance once you have been interviewed?

Any guidance thoughts would be appreciated! Also, if someone could add my name to the list at the beginning, Thanks!

Hi rosav -- don't know the stats for your second question, but for the first question -- I added detail on my extracurriculars to the essay on student involvement. I basically described my past and present activities and used my motivations for those activities to extrapolate and show the adcom where (and in what capacities) I would be involved in at LBS. I did not mention extracurriculars in my teamwork essay since I chose to write about my professional aspects. So depending on what activities you are involved in and what you chose to write about in the teamwork essay (personal vs professional), I think you could write about them in either essay.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2008, 05:06
My interviewer had my whole app + resume (he asked me to walk through it). However I dont think he had the recommendations. So, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest this to be the case.

prashok wrote:
getmeouttahere wrote:

I read somewhere (I think Clear Admit) that LBS gives recommenders your entire application, but not your transcripts or recommendations. It makes sense since I think there are strict confidentiality guidelines around those two documents (since they involve third-parties), and alumni are not technically part of the adcom.
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2008, 05:06