Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2009 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 02:25
getmeouttahere wrote:
thanks for all the responses. i'm turning down Chicago and Northwestern for LBS. : ) hope to see you all there!


Awesome! :beer

Just need a few more days myself (to sort out personal logistics), and I think I shall be sending my acceptance email as well... 8-)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 03:23
Would it help the decision making process if I told you about an alum that I spoke with personally last year. He had turned down Columbia, Wharton and Harvard for LBS (he was waitlisted at LBS and dinged at NYU). He basically picked it for the location, the class profile (he was slightly older).


prashok wrote:
getmeouttahere wrote:
thanks for all the responses. i'm turning down Chicago and Northwestern for LBS. : ) hope to see you all there!


Awesome! :beer

Just need a few more days myself (to sort out personal logistics), and I think I shall be sending my acceptance email as well... 8-)
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 356
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 05:44
Many congrats Prashok. LBS is a hard nut to crack, enjoy your victory 8-)

Also congrats to UTdub (especially after that freezing mail you received two days before admit) and getmeottahere.

prashok wrote:
getmeouttahere wrote:
thanks for all the responses. i'm turning down Chicago and Northwestern for LBS. : ) hope to see you all there!


Awesome! :beer

Just need a few more days myself (to sort out personal logistics), and I think I shall be sending my acceptance email as well... 8-)

_________________

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 06:01
I just got an email giving me access to the portal. Did anyone else get that too ? Its 1am here and since I've got nothing better to do (such as sleep) - I decided to log in anyway. It turns out that I can see at least the names of all admits of class of 2011. Seems like appx 220 admits were handed in R1.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 71
Location: Houston
Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 08:35
I have not received an email with a link to the web portal. Would love to see that information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 14:08
bsd_lover wrote:
Would it help the decision making process if I told you about an alum that I spoke with personally last year. He had turned down Columbia, Wharton and Harvard for LBS (he was waitlisted at LBS and dinged at NYU). He basically picked it for the location, the class profile (he was slightly older).


That does help! Of course, a scholarship might sweeten the pot, if the adcom happens to be reading GMATclub... :lol:

Either way, I'm sending my acceptance email right now. :) So consider me officially in!

For the portal, I received an email just now that I will get an access in early January (and that my package has been sent out).

Speaking of scholarships though, has anyone been notified? I'm not holding out much hope (maybe I have a chance with June applications), but hopefully someone on GMATclub has heard some good news!

Last edited by prashok on 23 Dec 2008, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 14:09
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Many congrats Prashok. LBS is a hard nut to crack, enjoy your victory 8-)


Thanks Pathfinder_77!
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 15:52
Interesting you say that. I've already paid my initial commitment of 1500 pounds - so maybe I get early access - because of my early commitment. Either ways I'm not complaining. If anyone has any specific questions - pm me.


prashok wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Would it help the decision making process if I told you about an alum that I spoke with personally last year. He had turned down Columbia, Wharton and Harvard for LBS (he was waitlisted at LBS and dinged at NYU). He basically picked it for the location, the class profile (he was slightly older).


That does help! Of course, a scholarship might sweeten the pot, if the adcom happens to be reading GMATclub... :lol:

Either way, I'm sending my acceptance email right now. :) So consider me officially in!

For the portal, I received an email just now that I will get an access in early January (and that my package has been sent out).

Speaking of scholarships though, has anyone been notified? I'm not holding out much hope (maybe I have a chance with June applications), but hopefully someone on GMATclub has heard some good news!
Stanford Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 134
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 19:56
Hey Guys,

Congrats to all the folks who got in R1 in LBS :). You guys are gonna have awesome time in London.

Best of luck to all R2 applicants. I am applying for R2 and in final stages of finalizing my essays.

Can someone elaborate more on how much information should be written in small questions asked as a part of application like

"Tell us about your responsibilities. Describe your day-to-day role, details of any clients you work with/for, the level/title of the person you report to, the size of budget for which you are directly responsible and the number of people in your team."

I am not sure how much to elaborate and some of this information is already part of my resume.

Thanks,
Ashish
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Posts: 10
Schools: Wharton,Chicago, LBS,Stern,Stanford,Harvard,Columbia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 21:05
Is there anyone on this thread who has been waitlisted for LBS ? There seem to be so many accepts here :) ..though i have been waitlisted...
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 22:05
Hi Ashish I just added you to the R2 list. For this question, If no word limits are specified - stick to common sense. Maybe a paragraph. It is called the short answers section for a reason :). Also try to tell something BESIDES your resume - i.e. do NOT repeat information from your resume.

Good luck.

zimzamzum wrote:
Hey Guys,

Congrats to all the folks who got in R1 in LBS :). You guys are gonna have awesome time in London.

Best of luck to all R2 applicants. I am applying for R2 and in final stages of finalizing my essays.

Can someone elaborate more on how much information should be written in small questions asked as a part of application like

"Tell us about your responsibilities. Describe your day-to-day role, details of any clients you work with/for, the level/title of the person you report to, the size of budget for which you are directly responsible and the number of people in your team."

I am not sure how much to elaborate and some of this information is already part of my resume.

Thanks,
Ashish
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 22:09
vmh - I have bad news :( Be prepared for a long wait. I was waitlisted last year in R1. They kept me on waitlist for most of the year and then dinged me towards August this year. They did however, give me special consideration for this year -and subsequently admitted me really early (for class of 2011).

While you may get admitted this year, it may not happen until very late. Be mindful of that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

vmh wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who has been waitlisted for LBS ? There seem to be so many accepts here :) ..though i have been waitlisted...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 74
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 20:49
Hey guys,

I have decided not to apply to LBS. I just don't have it in me to keep working on my apps...

I hope I am not making a big mistake I will regret in the future...

Good luck to all of you applying in R2 though!

krispy
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 22:28
Hi krispy sorry to hear that mate. Hope you change your mind and app R3.

Good luck.

krispy wrote:
Hey guys,

I have decided not to apply to LBS. I just don't have it in me to keep working on my apps...

I hope I am not making a big mistake I will regret in the future...

Good luck to all of you applying in R2 though!

krispy
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 133
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 04:58
BSD_LOVER:

I have almost finished my essays and have got my recos submitted.
Only thing pending now is 1 page resume. I have 9 years of experience over 3 countries and 3 companies. Finding it really hard to fit things in one page. Also what should i WRITE HERE APART FROM already written in "responosbility" section in online application's section of employement history.

thnks,
abhay
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 05:46
Anyone received your package from LBS? I received it via DHL today.

It comes in a nice package, quite classy.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 06:00
Hey mate - that's not a new situation. I've got 9 years with 5-6 different roles thrown in. The whole point of the 1 page resume is to test your ability to see what is important and what is not. I cut all the crap (e.g. address, too many details about the company) from the resume and focused purely on the content.

No more than 1-2 bullet points per role. Also try using a smaller font and wider margins - every pixel helps. Think of the resume as something that will stand on its own. My interviewer had my resume but not my responsibilities section - and he made me specifically walk through my resume. Try to tailor the resume to that situation.

Cheers.


abhaypratapsingh wrote:
BSD_LOVER:

I have almost finished my essays and have got my recos submitted.
Only thing pending now is 1 page resume. I have 9 years of experience over 3 countries and 3 companies. Finding it really hard to fit things in one page. Also what should i WRITE HERE APART FROM already written in "responosbility" section in online application's section of employement history.

thnks,
abhay
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 06:01
Dewy have you joined the facebook group yet ? Also did you get access to the portal ?

Dewy wrote:
Anyone received your package from LBS? I received it via DHL today.

It comes in a nice package, quite classy.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 09:09
bsd_lover wrote:
Dewy have you joined the facebook group yet ? Also did you get access to the portal ?

Dewy wrote:
Anyone received your package from LBS? I received it via DHL today.

It comes in a nice package, quite classy.


Yes, I have joined the facebook group. Also managed to go into the portal. You can see all those who have been admitted in R1 in the portal.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 71
Location: Houston
Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 14:15
I requested joining the LBS Facebook group for 2011 today but have not yet been granted access. Does anyone know who is the administrator and how they know if you've been accepted or not?

Without portal access yet, I'm ready to connect with LBS admits somehow!
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2008, 14:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
75 The London Business School 2011 Thread bpenn 1342 16 Jun 2010, 13:48
127 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2010 thread pmenon 1314 25 May 2009, 10:27
London Business School 2007 motorcyclist 8 20 Dec 2006, 21:06
London Business School Hjort 9 29 Jan 2005, 00:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The London Business School 2009 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  29    Next  [ 561 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.