Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2009 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 13:52
Many congratulations sept09. Holy crap that means pretty much everyone with an interview got an admit in R1 !!!!! Smells like a record number of Gmat clubbers at LBS this year ...

Sept09 wrote:
I was accepted on Friday as well. Congrats to all and best of luck making a very significant decision in the next few weeks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 15:01
What US school would you guys compare LBS to?

I'm thinking realistically speaking it's not H/S/W, but that it's on par with Chicago/Columbia/MIT and ahead of the Berkeley/Tuck/NYU/UCLA/Michigan crowd. What do you guys think?
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 22:46
Haha this always creeps up every now and then (leading to inevitable flame wars). My answer to this is always a somewhat diplomatic - "I dont know, it depends...". Depends on location and needs. In Australia, LBS has more recognition than Chicago, Columbia, MIT, Kellogg (more alumni here). This is probably similar to Europe - although I am not qualified to make that call.

On the other hand, within the US I don't think LBS considered higher than lower 4 M7s. But, I'd say LBS is most certainly at par with the lower 4 M7s in terms of the quality of education and selectivity - but I dont think that LBS has the same superb alumni base in US as Columbia, Kellogg, Chicago (300 mill whoa ..), MIT etc.

Having said all of that - if you were to collate a world top 10 MBAs on reputation alone - LBS "should" always feature in it.

The world top 10 would look something like INSEAD/LBS/H/S/W/Chi/Col/MIT/Kell<toss up between Haas, Tuck, NYU, Ross etc.> <-- this is in no particular order.

getmeouttahere wrote:
What US school would you guys compare LBS to?

I'm thinking realistically speaking it's not H/S/W, but that it's on par with Chicago/Columbia/MIT and ahead of the Berkeley/Tuck/NYU/UCLA/Michigan crowd. What do you guys think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 23:45
Sept09 wrote:
I was accepted on Friday as well. Congrats to all and best of luck making a very significant decision in the next few weeks!

Awesome -- congrats Sept09! :wave
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 00:01
Yeah, I'm with bsd_lover on this. Based on pure rankings, LBS is globally in the top ten in most sources. In the Financial Times rankings, it's in the top three, and I think it outranks H/S and the other M7 schools. In Europe, the holy trinity seems to be LBS, INSEAD and IMD. So, YMMV...

As I'm sure some of us discovered during interview and info sessions, reputation is still a challenge here in North America, though. It's a strong brand name of course, but against the M7, it's an uphill battle. So I would agree with what's been said -- that it's comparable with the lower M7, with the consideration that those US schools would still have stronger brands domestically.

Personally, I only applied to non-US schools because a post-MBA international career is very important to me (particularly Europe or Oceania). From that perspective outside of the United States, LBS/INSEAD are the next best after H/S/W, IMO. And I already knew I couldn't get into those three US schools... :lol:

So for me, LBS/INSEAD are my top choices (followed by IMD, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.).
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 22:31
Wow, Congrats to everyone! This might be a record number of admits gmatclub has ever seen!

I have this mixed feeling about LBS vs US schools. I am from Asia but did my undergrad in the US. So, my mind is a bit US centric and I would probably be more thrilled to have M7 name on my resume than LBS. Having said that, I've always loved London, especially its entertainment options and travelling opportunities. More importantly, I would like to work in the city where my b-school is located post-MBA, and it will be extremely difficult for me to secure a visa in the States. This alone is making me lean towards LBS. It's kind of like my heart is telling me to go to US schools whereas my mind is urging me to choose LBS (given I am admitted).

Getting back to the original question. I consider LBS to be a peer school with Chicago/ Columbia (all of them seem to be a bit more finance oriented). By the way, how is their recruiting going? Looking at LBS's career report, I always had this feeling that LBS is exceptional when placing students into finance, but not so much with other industries. Is this because students are more self-selecting (finance-minded students tend to choose LBS?) or LBS's presence lag in consulting or industries?

krispy
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 00:01
thanks for all the responses. i'm turning down Chicago and Northwestern for LBS. : ) hope to see you all there!
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 02:23
UTdub wrote:
R1 admits, I noticed there is a 1,500 Euro non-refundable commitment fee due on Jan 23rd if you want to accept your offer. A few questions:

1) Does that not seem quite soon/early to everyone?
2) Is there no Admit Weekend for LBS? Of all my schools, LBS is the one I'd most like/need to visit and meet the other students to see how I fit and what I like or don't like.

This seems odd to me, especially compared to other schools that 1) give until March/April until a Deposit is due and 2) offer an Admit weekend to help you decide.

Thoughts?

EUR 1,500?! Damn, I have to pay non-refundable deposit of GBP 3,300 for JBS! And I have to pay it no later than 16 January...

bsd_lover, I should have listened you and applied to LBS, what a moron I am...

Just kidding :-D , I'll be fine on JBS, regardless of the deposit.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 02:25
getmeouttahere wrote:
thanks for all the responses. i'm turning down Chicago and Northwestern for LBS. : ) hope to see you all there!

Awesome! :beer

Just need a few more days myself (to sort out personal logistics), and I think I shall be sending my acceptance email as well... 8-)
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 03:23
Would it help the decision making process if I told you about an alum that I spoke with personally last year. He had turned down Columbia, Wharton and Harvard for LBS (he was waitlisted at LBS and dinged at NYU). He basically picked it for the location, the class profile (he was slightly older).

prashok wrote:
getmeouttahere wrote:

Just need a few more days myself (to sort out personal logistics), and I think I shall be sending my acceptance email as well... 8-)
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 05:44
Many congrats Prashok. LBS is a hard nut to crack, enjoy your victory 8-)

Also congrats to UTdub (especially after that freezing mail you received two days before admit) and getmeottahere.

prashok wrote:
getmeouttahere wrote:

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 06:01
I just got an email giving me access to the portal. Did anyone else get that too ? Its 1am here and since I've got nothing better to do (such as sleep) - I decided to log in anyway. It turns out that I can see at least the names of all admits of class of 2011. Seems like appx 220 admits were handed in R1.
Current Student
Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 08:35
I have not received an email with a link to the web portal. Would love to see that information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 14:08
bsd_lover wrote:
Would it help the decision making process if I told you about an alum that I spoke with personally last year. He had turned down Columbia, Wharton and Harvard for LBS (he was waitlisted at LBS and dinged at NYU). He basically picked it for the location, the class profile (he was slightly older).

That does help! Of course, a scholarship might sweeten the pot, if the adcom happens to be reading GMATclub... :lol:

Either way, I'm sending my acceptance email right now. :) So consider me officially in!

For the portal, I received an email just now that I will get an access in early January (and that my package has been sent out).

Speaking of scholarships though, has anyone been notified? I'm not holding out much hope (maybe I have a chance with June applications), but hopefully someone on GMATclub has heard some good news!

Last edited by prashok on 23 Dec 2008, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 14:09
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Many congrats Prashok. LBS is a hard nut to crack, enjoy your victory 8-)

Thanks Pathfinder_77!
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 15:52
Interesting you say that. I've already paid my initial commitment of 1500 pounds - so maybe I get early access - because of my early commitment. Either ways I'm not complaining. If anyone has any specific questions - pm me.

prashok wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

That does help! Of course, a scholarship might sweeten the pot, if the adcom happens to be reading GMATclub... :lol:

Either way, I'm sending my acceptance email right now. :) So consider me officially in!

For the portal, I received an email just now that I will get an access in early January (and that my package has been sent out).

Speaking of scholarships though, has anyone been notified? I'm not holding out much hope (maybe I have a chance with June applications), but hopefully someone on GMATclub has heard some good news!
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 19:56
Hey Guys,

Congrats to all the folks who got in R1 in LBS :). You guys are gonna have awesome time in London.

Best of luck to all R2 applicants. I am applying for R2 and in final stages of finalizing my essays.

Can someone elaborate more on how much information should be written in small questions asked as a part of application like

"Tell us about your responsibilities. Describe your day-to-day role, details of any clients you work with/for, the level/title of the person you report to, the size of budget for which you are directly responsible and the number of people in your team."

I am not sure how much to elaborate and some of this information is already part of my resume.

Thanks,
Ashish
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton,Chicago, LBS,Stern,Stanford,Harvard,Columbia

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 21:05
Is there anyone on this thread who has been waitlisted for LBS ? There seem to be so many accepts here :) ..though i have been waitlisted...
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 22:05
Hi Ashish I just added you to the R2 list. For this question, If no word limits are specified - stick to common sense. Maybe a paragraph. It is called the short answers section for a reason :). Also try to tell something BESIDES your resume - i.e. do NOT repeat information from your resume.

Good luck.

zimzamzum wrote:
Hey Guys,

Congrats to all the folks who got in R1 in LBS :). You guys are gonna have awesome time in London.

Best of luck to all R2 applicants. I am applying for R2 and in final stages of finalizing my essays.

Can someone elaborate more on how much information should be written in small questions asked as a part of application like

"Tell us about your responsibilities. Describe your day-to-day role, details of any clients you work with/for, the level/title of the person you report to, the size of budget for which you are directly responsible and the number of people in your team."

I am not sure how much to elaborate and some of this information is already part of my resume.

Thanks,
Ashish
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 22:09
vmh - I have bad news :( Be prepared for a long wait. I was waitlisted last year in R1. They kept me on waitlist for most of the year and then dinged me towards August this year. They did however, give me special consideration for this year -and subsequently admitted me really early (for class of 2011).

While you may get admitted this year, it may not happen until very late. Be mindful of that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

vmh wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who has been waitlisted for LBS ? There seem to be so many accepts here :) ..though i have been waitlisted...
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2008, 22:09