Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2009 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [4] , given: 210

The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There's no thread for this so I decided to create one. Who's heading to London ? Who's apping early ? Any reapplicants from last year ? I may offer my essays from last year to people who contribute well to this thread.

Here is some further info on the school :
MBA home page : http://www.london.edu/mba.html
Employment report : http://www.london.edu/mba/careerimpact.html
Social Clubs : http://www.london.edu/ourcommunity/stud ... ities.html

Mckinsey recruiting at LBS - http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/lbs/home.aspx

Ranked #1 school in the WORLD by FT in 2009. Link - http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

Essays analysis : http://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/09/lond ... 2008-2009/

My essay tips : post546986.html#p546986

LBS 2008 thread can be found here : 106-t54115
Another thread on LBS selectivity can be found here : 106-t72080

Good luck all.

==========================================
LBS Pre R1: Class of 2011
Tally: Admits: 2
bsd_lover: ACCEPTED
trump: ACCEPTED

LBS R1: 13 applicants
Tally: Admits: 6 Dings: 6 Waitlist: 1
Dewy: ACCEPTED
prashok/teutonic9: ACCEPTED
AdamH83: ACCEPTED
UTdub: ACCEPTED
getmeouttahere: ACCEPTED
Sept09: ACCEPTED
vmh : WAITLIST

aviroop: Ding*
buffdaddy: Ding
bschoolguy: Ding
dagrobo: Ding
mbavacation: Ding
graffiti: Ding

*encouraged to apply in a few years

LBS R2: 22 applicants
Tally: Admits: 4 Dings: ? Waitlist: 2
rosav:ACCEPTED
jrl3: ACCEPTED
Paradosso: ACCEPTED
sumitshah: ACCEPTED
lauraumn: WAITLIST
sset009: WAITLIST

bscracker: Submitted
oliviajoules: Submitted
BSchoolorBust: Submitted
IvyStallion : Submitted
paegain: ??
botirvoy: ??

walker: Ding/w int
gamecode: Ding
arshia22: Ding
omnizone: Ding
yaazol:Ding
abhaypratapsingh:Ding
Legend: Ding
zimzamzum: Ding
fugo: Ding
sumidi: Ding

LBS R3: ? applicants
Elderas: WAITLIST
asadkiz: WAITLIST
OhThatMBA: Preparing

LBS R4: ? applicants
nink: Interview Invite
bokke : Interview Invite
tarek99: ??

LBS MiM : ? applicants
unlasheddeer: ACCEPTED
milkrate: ACCEPTED
hofimax: ACCEPTED
nyalah: ACCEPTED
MJ2009: ACCEPTED
caleoptera: Invite to interview

ps. Let me know if there is any change in your status or if I have mentioned you in a category incorrectly.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
9 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [9] , given: 3

Re: LBS Essay [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 16:12
This post received
KUDOS
buffdaddy wrote:
are you for real? Sorry but I didn't understand a word you said let alone the meaning of your post.

No worries mate, I just put that through my translator:

Original poster wrote:
Def talk bout more clubs, if you only goin 2 one club they think you undiversified & boring... I be clubbin 7 days a week, always hittin da top spots, dropping gwop & popping dom and da colla twentyfo'seven, switchin that shit up & mindin the time as I checks my TAG and da ladies flow like the flock of goats running down the gilead

meaning:

Translator wrote:
Indeed, I would emphasize my affiliations with a large quantity of extracurricular activities. Dedicated involvement to a select group may convey the impression that one is not diversified in their choice of activities. Personally, I involve myself in various activities every day of the week, with all of these organizations being of the highest caliber, Typically, I also engage in the consumption of questionable substances and fine champagne, whilst I upturn the collar portion of my shirt garment to further inform of my impressive status. In addition, I strive to project an aura of authority, best exemplified by my artisan-crafted Swiss watch, which I use to check the status of my daily appointments. In the end, all of these activities tend to attract the fancy of very beautiful ladies as well.
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [3] , given: 8

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
New MBA TV editions out today.

http://mbablog.london.edu/mbablog/mba_tv/

happy watching!!
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 442 [2] , given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
Sales pitch for LBS
LBS has a class size of about 330 (they are going to bump it up to about 400 this year), so it is smaller than most top tier b-schools - hence strong community feel despite being in London. Think about it, only 400 students to fill MBA needs of the entire London megacity; no wonder they hire a lot from the US in London. But at LBS we'll have the first pick of jobs and the best networking opportunities.

LBS respects strong WE - and its students tend to be slightly older. The alum community is extremely tight. My interview was with a PE guy in Sydney. Not only did he gave me a fantastic recommendation (probably the reason why I was in the WL), he also introduced me to some of his class mates in London. I was able to call his colleagues on phone directly. These guys are seriously high up - Executive director level at top tier IBs (ones that are still around), HF guys etc. Some of these people turned down schools such as Wharton, HBS and Columbia to attend LBS. But all of them were so incredibly humble.

Last year, The average GMAT hovered around 690, which is rather low when you think about it. But, I feel that LBS deliberately prefers strong WE over strong GMAT etc. Although I'd say the average GMAT may go slightly higher in the next few years. LBS is truly international. Most American schools admit around 30-35% international students. LBS has way above 70% internationals. From Oceania (my region), most American schools admit 1% of its class compared with LBS, which admits 4-5% Aussies / Kiwis.

I only consider 2-3 b-schools in the world better than LBS. So, once I got the early admit, I dropped most of the schools I was doing to app to this year in R1. Last year I apped to LBS in R1, but I'm sure R2 will be no problems (LBS has 4 rounds).

I've personally seen many success stories come out of LBS. My class mate from school went there and is in Mckinsey now. My ex boss (and one of my recommendors) went there and is the country head of a multinational now. They had engineering backgrounds and were career switchers.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention. You can finish the whole thing in 15 months if you so wished to. And, I've heard that you can work two internships while being at Uni. How's that for flexibility :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
add me to the R1 bandwagon as well :woohoo
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
it is 5:54 BST...still waiting :x
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
"I am writing to inform you that your admissions decision has been delayed. This delay is
caused by the high volume of applications received during this Stage and we apologise for
the inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience, we will be in touch once the Admissions Committee releases
your decision tomorrow."

just received the above...I guess another day of my fav waiting game awaits :roll:
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 442 [2] , given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
LBS Information event 2009 (Sydney)

So I walk in with 2 of my friends. We were merely 5 minutes late but the room was bursting from its seams. Obviously LBS didn't expect THAT much interest. The event was organised with the help of current students who are in town for exchange. All the students wore name badges. Me and couple of other admits slipped under the radar as we weren't required to wear any identification. Some folks might remember my reports of the Wharton and Stanford Sydney events from 2007/2008 - so I had a certain minimum expectation of what I wanted this marketing effort to be like.

I am happy to report that LBS exceeded all those expectations. In many ways the presentation absolutely blew the other ones out of water. The presenter was outstanding. She really sold the school - she started with basic information about stuff that I already knew (diversity, location, study groups, course flexibility etc.).

She also gave anecdotal examples of cool stuff that LBS students have done. For instance she spoke of this Egyptian LBS student who decided to climb mount Everest (during the MBA program) and ended up getting corporate sponsorship to do so. He took a term off and became the first Egyptian to conquer Everest (and is a bit of a celebrity now).

Then came the best part - the alumni. Now I remember Wharton event had 5-6 alums, the Stanford event had 7-10. The LBS event had OVER 25 ALUMS !!! Thats right, literally 1 alum for every 2 attendees. To me that showed 2 things: the alums want to get involved and the alumni base is VERY strong in Australia.

There were folks from pretty much every top tier institute - Rothschild, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Bain, Mckinsey, AT Kearney, LEK - you name it. Several philanthropists and entrepreneurs were also part of the alum group. Many alums had switched careers a few times after the MBA(they all went around introducing themselves quickly). The alums were not all MBAs; there were several EMBAs, Sloan Executive program folks etc.

The alumni club is about to hold an event with a guest speaker (an LBS prof currently at AGSM). They extended an invitation to any keen prospective LBS students (needless to say yours truly had both his hands up).

There was also some questions around recruiting in the current market (directed towards the current students). Of course the answers were somewhat sugar coated, but it was reassuring to hear that all the current students (who were present) had secured internships But not all of them had full time offers yet. However, the quality of the internships seemed to indicate that these students would secure full time offers reasonably easily.

Lastly it was drinkies time. It was at this point I took my leave. The only bad part about the event was that it was held in a small location not suited for the turnout. I figured I could always talk to the alums later and I'm catching up with the current students for drinks soon so, I wasn't really missing out on anything. So I left, leaving the other propectives use the event for their research.

All in all - I'm extremely happy with both the event and my choice of school.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 8

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
bsd_lover wrote:
There's no thread for this so I decided to create one. Who's heading to London ? Who's apping early ? Any reapplicants from last year ? I may offer my essays from last year to people who contribute well to this thread.

Good luck all.

Hi Bsd. Well I hope to join you in London in 2009, altough as we all know its a far cry from wishing to actually getting admitted.
I am putting together my app for R1. I must say, having visited the school a couple of times, it has really become my top choice.

Come-on London bound folk, register your interest here!

-buff
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 04:18
This post received
KUDOS
I've apped to 3 other schools, I wasn't counting on the LBS admit (although it was an extremely nice bonus). My initial plan was to app to 5-6 R1 schools, but now I've apped to just 3 R1 schools (only schools that I may realistically pick over LBS). I'll wait for the results of these apps first - which means I'll be in Australia till at least January 2009. Then, I may relocate to London in search of pre-mba internships (depending on the market I suppose). Either ways, no more application essays for me (thank god).

Traveling is another option and I've had some longstanding plans which I've never pursued. But I'll base those on whether I can get a good exchange rate for Australian dollar (which has crashed 30% in the last two weeks :( )
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
game - its pretty tough taking the GMAT and writing essays simultaneously. But I suppose you gotta work within with your situation. pm me if you want a second pair of eyes to look at your essays. Also remember that LBS is not a GMAT centric school. Until last year, their median hovered around 690. They focus a lot of diversity and work experiences. If they find you interesting and find your GMAT score low, they may ask you to resit the test (although for that to happen you'd have to hit 600 or under).
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
welcome aboard dagrobo. No one's heard anything from R1. I think LBS, just like last year, will release all its interview decisions on one day.

dagrobo wrote:
I am a late entry here. Count me in for R1.
Did anybody hear about interviews yet?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 8

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Another advantage of London at the moment is that the rental market has crashed a bit. I suspect it will be a lot cheaper to rent a flat when people flee the capital.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
Ashish, I would not be surprised if the adcom suggests you to retake the gmat as you certainly know that your applicant pool is very competitive. I'm not quite sure about your work experience progression but it is also below average in length compared to the LBS average so the track record must be outstanding to compensate for a weak gmat.

In general, this year will be a tough year to get into top b-schools given the market downturn as I suspect the number and quality of applicants to be relatively high. Thus, I really suggest you take the gmat to bolster your application.

Best Regards,

Paul

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:35
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, LBS hasn't changed its questions in the last two years by much ( although who knows what will happen next year).

Essay tips : ummm to be honest I am bad person to ask for those. As you know I was on the waitlist for a long time (almost all of last year) mainly because of my poor essays. However here are a few things that you may want to consider :

Aims:
Strong and interesting aims are a key differentiator, if you are talking an aim which involves about joining IB or MC - think about how interesting and differentiating it is (it is not). On the other hand you want to save the world from poverty and war - think about how your background and MBA (specific to school) will help you achieve it - and whether it makes any sense. Adcom are interested in how you background will help you achieve your stated aims so whatever you pick - you should be able to say that its all gonna happen, MBA will just speed it up.

Current Job:
Your current job is important. A recommendation from your current employer is very useful. It shows strong career progress. It is also an indication that you're not just doing an MBA because your current job sucks. It also gives a perspective to adcom about what you are about immediately before joining there program. So, describe it well and talk it up.

Profiling:
What are you about ? What are your values ? What are your achievements ? etc. etc. etc. Think about all of these things and create a profile (Avi Gordon's MBA Admission strategy is a great read about profiling). In your essay package you have to tell the adcom about all these important things. As many as possible. Without any repetition.

Tone:
Remember that its an essay / a story and NOT a thesis (like my essays). Make it interesting, set the scene, add a little drama. Keep the reader interested. Use rich metaphors. Harry Bauld's How to write a successful college application is a good read on how to convey a good tone. Of course having said that, its not a Stephen King novel either. So balance it out.

Resume:
Very important. LBS gives you just one page. That really sucks. It did for me as I have 9 years of WE and many many roles. I had to really think about what was a good role worth talking about and what was not.

Good luck.

pmenon wrote:
Thanks, bsd. Im in Canada, and am planning to visit early next year while school is still in session. Im aiming to apply for Round 1, so I might even push out that trip until September 2009. Since London is my favorite city in the world, I can use this as an excuse to get out there .... but you'll already be there by then ! :)

Any essay tips ? Does LBS use the same essay questions from year-to-year ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 04:31
This post received
KUDOS
Details are available on the LBS portal.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
Some pix attached of LBS in the crazy snow storm we had in London. The snow really shut down the entire city. Kind of funny how unprepared they were (in most other North American or European cities this would have been nothing special). Still, LBS looks nice with a snow cover!
Attachments

LBS winter snow.jpg
LBS winter snow.jpg [ 67.05 KiB | Viewed 1520 times ]

LBS winter snow2.jpg
LBS winter snow2.jpg [ 96.11 KiB | Viewed 1519 times ]

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
For the MBA program at least, LBS seems to adhere to its published dates to send out all interview invites or admissions emails at once -- so I wouldn't expect anything earlier than the website's date of February 12th for R2. If there is a delay though, they will typically send out a notification email on the published date informing you of the expected timeframe.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
unlasheddeer wrote:
Nink, I read on another thread that you had already accepted Yale...

So, how come LBS now?

i just discovered that I am really a brit living and born inside an asian body....

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
MJ2009 wrote:
just a thought, I guess out of curiosity: I have no idea as to the scholarships nink, you have been offered by each school but is there any possibility you could start a scholarship-war between the schools that is to say 'use the free market model to get the asset/resource(you & what you bring to the school) allocated to the highest bidder(university)' :wink: Has anyone tried this, even if they failed to achieve the desired outcome?

I didn't try bidding one school against another and I don't plan on doing that. I think if they wanted to offer me merit scholarship, they would have already and I hate begging for ANYTHING. :-D

Plus, there are others out there who needs the scholarship or DESERVE the scholarship more than I do. I am grateful just for the admits. I don't want to be greedy. 8-)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2009, 06:51