Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 22:35
R3 applicant. GMAT 650 (argh). 28 female asian american. 3.8 GPA at top 50 school (finance GPA 4.0). 6 years experience at a multinational (4 years in leadership programs with international assignments and 2 years in leveraged finance).

I only applied to LBS as this is the only school I want to go to. how many others are R3 here? good luck to every one!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 23:32
Bsd_lover, Greenoak and any one else!

I had applied to London Business School in R1 and am currently on the waitlist - I had asked for an accelerated decision because I have to join another school. Have asked if it's possible to have a decision on march 30th but I haven't got a confirmatory email from the school (just an email that they will forward it to the adcom for consideration).

Here is the issue: Last week, my company made preliminary moves to get me to join back post -MBA (Even offering to pay for my MBA or to explore other avenues where my return can be as smooth as possible). Do you think I should email the school this latest development? I don't know if it will make a difference - but it's something which is very exciting and meaningful to me and I feel I should let the school know. However, a lot of my friends are advising against it.

Any thoughts?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 23:39
fordfirestone congratulations on your new opportunities. If your company is now willing to sponsor you, that is excellent news and shows your importance in the company and I would definitely supply that information to the school. But I wont try to arm twist the school into giving an early decision.

fordfirestone wrote:
Bsd_lover, Greenoak and any one else!

I had applied to London Business School in R1 and am currently on the waitlist - I had asked for an accelerated decision because I have to join another school. Have asked if it's possible to have a decision on march 30th but I haven't got a confirmatory email from the school (just an email that they will forward it to the adcom for consideration).

Here is the issue: Last week, my company made preliminary moves to get me to join back post -MBA (Even offering to pay for my MBA or to explore other avenues where my return can be as smooth as possible). Do you think I should email the school this latest development? I don't know if it will make a difference - but it's something which is very exciting and meaningful to me and I feel I should let the school know. However, a lot of my friends are advising against it.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 23:44
bsd_lover wrote:
fordfirestone congratulations on your new opportunities. If your company is now willing to sponsor you, that is excellent news and shows your importance in the company and I would definitely supply that information to the school. But I wont try to arm twist the school into giving an early decision.

fordfirestone wrote:
Bsd_lover, Greenoak and any one else!

I had applied to London Business School in R1 and am currently on the waitlist - I had asked for an accelerated decision because I have to join another school. Have asked if it's possible to have a decision on march 30th but I haven't got a confirmatory email from the school (just an email that they will forward it to the adcom for consideration).

Here is the issue: Last week, my company made preliminary moves to get me to join back post -MBA (Even offering to pay for my MBA or to explore other avenues where my return can be as smooth as possible). Do you think I should email the school this latest development? I don't know if it will make a difference - but it's something which is very exciting and meaningful to me and I feel I should let the school know. However, a lot of my friends are advising against it.

Any thoughts?


Thanks bsd_lover. I will email the school. And I understand with the arm-twisting bit. And I struggled with that decision for a week. The only problem is that the other school starts in April and it's not the question of a admissions deposit but the whole fees and logistics. Hence, I decided to email the school. I know it might be a big negative but I had no choice.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 64
Schools: London Business School (int)
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:10
fordfirestone - that's fantastic news and definitely telling of your value to your firm.

I would definitely drop a note to adcom highlighting - though position it as further increasing your need to know LBS's decision as you now have a responsibility to your company to let them know (rather than using it as leverage to enhance your candidacy)

All the best!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 12:48
Just checked out the MBA 2012 facebook group a few days ago and there were already 122 members... and R2 decisions aren't even out yet! If school class remains at 350-390ish that means 1/3 of the seats were gone in one round, and if there are more R2 applicants than R1... that actually leaves only quite a limited number of seats for R3/4! :(

DoctorManhattan wrote:
baxter,

I echo what bsd_lover has remarked about the competitiveness of Stage 3 compared to Stages 1 & 2.

I was speaking with a member of the Admissions Committee last Autumn, and this committee member remarked that while Stage 2 is usually the largest stage in any admissions season, Stage 3 often ends up having more applicants than Stage 1. Conceding that a significant number of spots (speculation on my part) have been awarded to candidates from Stages 1 & 2, and conceding that the Wait-list has swollen meaningfully from these earlier stages, it certainly implies that Stage 3 is fairly competitive.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 12:56
Hi guys,
Just been reading some of the posts and profiles, I presented the GMAT just a few hours ago, got a 660 (Q49 , V31) , Verbal killed me :( . On Saturday I will do the IELTS, hopefully I'll get a 7.5 and probably undermine my GMAT Verbal score?

Will you recommend me to apply? there are only 3 weeks to do it.

Thanks
GT
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 15:27
Hi octopus2010,

I doubt there would be 122 admit decisions in round 1. Maybe the 122 members in the facebook group include current students and admission officers helping with the group discussions.

I think Dr. Manhattan or someone from Round 1 admit would be able to give us an exact number.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 16:11
gerteix wrote:
Hi guys,
Just been reading some of the posts and profiles, I presented the GMAT just a few hours ago, got a 660 (Q49 , V31) , Verbal killed me :( . On Saturday I will do the IELTS, hopefully I'll get a 7.5 and probably undermine my GMAT Verbal score?

Will you recommend me to apply? there are only 3 weeks to do it.

Thanks
GT


hi gerteix... i think that an IELTS won't mitigate a GMAT score too much. they really test different things. TOEFL and IELTS test only ability to communicate in English (a shallower rating, really only required of non-native English speakers)... the GMAT tests verbal on a deeper level: reasoning ability, comprehension and yes, sentence correction i.e., you can be a native English speaker, not even require an IELTS or TOEFL, and still do poorly on the GMAT verbal. IMO, taking the IELTS to "undermine", as you say, your GMAT isn't a good way to go about it.

That said, I got into a solid US school (Darden) on a 660 GMAT. I've since retaken the GMAT for the LBS R2 applications and gotten a higher score, but fact is, a 660 isn't a deal breaker, provided other aspects of your application are solid.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 16:19
just some information people might find useful... the london 2010 class profile

Number of students 320
Average age 28.6 years
Age range 23-34 years
Average work experience 5.6 years
Work experience range 2-12 years
Average GMAT score 694
GMAT score range 600-800
Percentage of female students 25%
Nationalities represented 60
Percentage of international students 91%
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 16:41
You are absolutely correct. I am a member of this group and so are a few other MBA2011s. I also remember last year's group had a few people who did not end up matriculating. There is not much point over-analysing these numbers; you will never get the full picture. Admissions are tough even if you apply at R1 - doing probabilities to quantify uncertainty only serves as preparation for the Decisions Risk Analysis class.

undafry wrote:
Hi octopus2010,

I doubt there would be 122 admit decisions in round 1. Maybe the 122 members in the facebook group include current students and admission officers helping with the group discussions.

I think Dr. Manhattan or someone from Round 1 admit would be able to give us an exact number.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 17:28
Bsd_lover, thank you for your continued contribution and insight to this forum.
I am interested in knowing if in your finance/acctg classes, is the academic focus on US,European, or Asian companies and GAAP? The reason I ask is that while in banking, I did a few valuations of German, UK and Italian companies, but the differing accounting conventions sometimes made it more difficult to value those companies than it would be to value US companies. Take care.

Last edited by JoeMahmah on 18 Mar 2010, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2009
Posts: 79
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 19:04
undafry,

At this time, there are exactly 122 members of the "London Business School (LBS) MBA Class of 2012" Facebook group. That said, I would hardly call each member of that group an admitted student. As someone else pointed out, and as another confirmed, some members of this group will not matriculate and ultimately decline their offers, others might be current students or staff, and others still might be sponsors or individuals with some sort of affiliation with the School.

Facebook membership is not indicative of the larger population; I know at least two admits from Stage 1 with clear intentions of matriculating who are not on Facebook, let alone members of the Admit group. Switching gears, though, while bsd_lover is right (in that attempting to analyse numbers to guage admission chances is a futile exercise), it does appear that Stage 1 Admit numbers have been rather robust. For a targeted class size of 400 (five streams of ~80 students), the Portal is showing a number significantly in excess of 122 of admitted MBA2012 students. I'm under the impression that the Portal terms of agreement restrict sharing certain information outside the Portal community, and so, for now, I must remain vague about the exact number. To be honest, I really wouldn't worry about this as there's nothing you can do to change the outcome of your application. The nasty Wait ends in 6 days, doesn't it? Hold on a little longer.

In the meantime, I wish you guys the very best of luck! Before applying myself, I read every single London Business School thread on the GMAT forums (back in the days when an entire year's thread had only 11 or so pages!), and this Stage 2 crowd's been incredibly supportive, and cheery; one can't help but wish you success in your endeavours. Once you get onto Portal, you'll have a much more efficient medium to network, and of course, you can then join the Facebook group which, in my personal experience thus far, has provided a few positive and "unique" networking experiences in addition to Portal!

Good luck guys!


undafry wrote:
Hi octopus2010,

I doubt there would be 122 admit decisions in round 1. Maybe the 122 members in the facebook group include current students and admission officers helping with the group discussions.

I think Dr. Manhattan or someone from Round 1 admit would be able to give us an exact number.

_________________

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2009
Posts: 79
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 19:13
On Languages:

As we all know, achieving Level 2 proficiency in a language other than English is an exit requirment at London Business School. I've met current students and alumni who already spoke a second (or third) language before joining the programme, so this wasn't a concern for them. For those that will be undertaking study in another language (perhaps you've already started), what languages are you considering?

I'm interested to know what languages people are have chosen simply out of curiosity, or as a means to gain an edge in the Business environment, or for that matter, any other reason. Additionally, can any of the current students comment on what languages appear to be the most popular at the School?
_________________

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 21:33
I was talking to a student from the graduating class and he mentioned that he submitted 4 recommendation letters during his application. I would have loved the opportunity of sending in more recommendations. Has anyone here submitted more than 2 recos? Good luck for round 2!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 21:51
I submitted 2 professional recs, plus an alumni rec.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 23:20
We cover both GAAP and IFRS and their nuances.

JoeMahmah wrote:
Bsd_lover, thank you for your continued contribution and insight to this forum.
I am interested in knowing if in your finance/acctg classes, is the academic focus on US,European, or Asian companies and GAAP? The reason I ask is that while in banking, I did a few valuations of German, UK and Italian companies, but the differing accounting conventions sometimes made it more difficult to value those companies than it would be to value US companies. Take care.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 23:24
I was one of those who decided to take the exemption and not worry about the language aspect. But many people I know took a language even though they were eligible for exemption. Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, French and Spanish seem to be the most popular ones. In addition to the King's college classes you also have access to the partners club courses, where partners of current student who are native speakers of different languages teach other partners (and students). Some clubs also organise "lunch in <name of language>" where everyone speaks the given language forcing people who are interested to converse in that language as well.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
On Languages:

As we all know, achieving Level 2 proficiency in a language other than English is an exit requirment at London Business School. I've met current students and alumni who already spoke a second (or third) language before joining the programme, so this wasn't a concern for them. For those that will be undertaking study in another language (perhaps you've already started), what languages are you considering?

I'm interested to know what languages people are have chosen simply out of curiosity, or as a means to gain an edge in the Business environment, or for that matter, any other reason. Additionally, can any of the current students comment on what languages appear to be the most popular at the School?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 01:09
pochcc wrote:
just some information people might find useful... the london 2010 class profile

Number of students 320
Average age 28.6 years
Age range 23-34 years
Average work experience 5.6 years
Work experience range 2-12 years
Average GMAT score 694
GMAT score range 600-800
Percentage of female students 25%
Nationalities represented 60
Percentage of international students 91%


Thanks for the help!
Well I still need to take the IELTS as I am venezuelan/portuguese ... I think I will apply, although, I am not feeling confident given my work experience:
* 1 Year: Managing a sales force of 5 and dealing with service providers.
* 5 Years on IT & Telco troubleshooting departments, I'd been working so far in 4 countries on contracts.

I should have read this forum before.... I needed to practice SC a lot more.
GT
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 03:37
Thanks Bsd & Dr. - Agreed. No point over analyzing the numbers - 6 more days left anyway :)
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2010, 03:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
127 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2010 thread pmenon 1314 25 May 2009, 10:27
75 The London Business School 2011 Thread bpenn 1342 16 Jun 2010, 13:48
London Business School 2010 end-of-term dates? ssuppe 1 07 Jun 2010, 05:16
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic Indian School of Business 2010-11 thread bigoyal 125 16 Jun 2009, 09:24
39 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2009 thread bsd_lover 560 25 Sep 2008, 02:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The London Business School 2010 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  66    Next  [ 1315 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.