Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 23:24
I was one of those who decided to take the exemption and not worry about the language aspect. But many people I know took a language even though they were eligible for exemption. Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, French and Spanish seem to be the most popular ones. In addition to the King's college classes you also have access to the partners club courses, where partners of current student who are native speakers of different languages teach other partners (and students). Some clubs also organise "lunch in <name of language>" where everyone speaks the given language forcing people who are interested to converse in that language as well.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
On Languages:

As we all know, achieving Level 2 proficiency in a language other than English is an exit requirment at London Business School. I've met current students and alumni who already spoke a second (or third) language before joining the programme, so this wasn't a concern for them. For those that will be undertaking study in another language (perhaps you've already started), what languages are you considering?

I'm interested to know what languages people are have chosen simply out of curiosity, or as a means to gain an edge in the Business environment, or for that matter, any other reason. Additionally, can any of the current students comment on what languages appear to be the most popular at the School?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 01:09
pochcc wrote:
just some information people might find useful... the london 2010 class profile

Number of students 320
Average age 28.6 years
Age range 23-34 years
Average work experience 5.6 years
Work experience range 2-12 years
Average GMAT score 694
GMAT score range 600-800
Percentage of female students 25%
Nationalities represented 60
Percentage of international students 91%

Thanks for the help!
Well I still need to take the IELTS as I am venezuelan/portuguese ... I think I will apply, although, I am not feeling confident given my work experience:
* 1 Year: Managing a sales force of 5 and dealing with service providers.
* 5 Years on IT & Telco troubleshooting departments, I'd been working so far in 4 countries on contracts.

I should have read this forum before.... I needed to practice SC a lot more.
GT
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 03:37
Thanks Bsd & Dr. - Agreed. No point over analyzing the numbers - 6 more days left anyway :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 06:04
bsd_lover,

Ah, so you're already sufficiently proficient in another language other than English?

I definitely like the sound of the Partners Club language courses, and the "Lunch in XXX" ideas. I've quickly found that all the formal instruction in the world is no match for complete immersion with native speakers. I'm actually looking forward to those opportunities. I hope that by the time I join the programme, I'd have brought up my proficiency in my chosen language to a level where I can actually participate in those lunches!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the King's College language courses charged separate tuition? Is this true?

Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note while we're on the subject of courses, aside from Business Statistics (which is offered as a core course in the first year), and perhaps, to a lesser extent, the Decision Risk Analysis course, are there other electives which would give one an intermediate to somewhat advanced instruction in Statistics? I can't seem to find anything else in the Elective portfolio.

bsd_lover wrote:
I was one of those who decided to take the exemption and not worry about the language aspect. But many people I know took a language even though they were eligible for exemption. Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, French and Spanish seem to be the most popular ones. In addition to the King's college classes you also have access to the partners club courses, where partners of current student who are native speakers of different languages teach other partners (and students). Some clubs also organise "lunch in <name of language>" where everyone speaks the given language forcing people who are interested to converse in that language as well.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
On Languages:

As we all know, achieving Level 2 proficiency in a language other than English is an exit requirment at London Business School. I've met current students and alumni who already spoke a second (or third) language before joining the programme, so this wasn't a concern for them. For those that will be undertaking study in another language (perhaps you've already started), what languages are you considering?

I'm interested to know what languages people are have chosen simply out of curiosity, or as a means to gain an edge in the Business environment, or for that matter, any other reason. Additionally, can any of the current students comment on what languages appear to be the most popular at the School?

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 06:27
Four recommendations? That sounds like an awful lot!

Here's what I encountered during my MBA programme research, and these findings appear to be surprisingly uniform across many of the top programmes:

1) Most programmes ask for two references, and want no more than what they ask for. Harvard's a notable exception in its explicit requirement of three references.

2) Some programmes (London Business School among them) will accept, or even encourage, an additional letter of recommendation only if such a recommendation provides a compelling addition to your profile that could not be addressed in the standard references. For instance getting a third reference from a manager at your workplace from which two references have already been submitted isn't the best use of a reference, and starts to detract from your candidacy.

3) Some Admission Committees view supplemental references as desperation on the part of the candidate; an indication that an applicant is not confident that his/her application can stand alone on its merits. Sloan (MIT) is famous for this, and has a policy of randomly discarding any supplemental recommendations over the required number without exception. Kellogg, as I was told by one of their senior Admissions representatives, views supplemental recommendations with irritation in nearly all circumstances.

I did find that London Business School was the most receptive to supplemental references, but even they stressed that it would be a waste of precious application-reading time if it didn't add value, and provide new information.

Good luck!

2010LBSRound2 wrote:
I was talking to a student from the graduating class and he mentioned that he submitted 4 recommendation letters during his application. I would have loved the opportunity of sending in more recommendations. Has anyone here submitted more than 2 recos? Good luck for round 2!!

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 12:07
undafry, bsd_lover, DoctorManhattan, thanks! you know how it is... this wait (just to hear back about interview decisions) kills! I couldn't help but to look at every single thing possible out there to see what my chances are.. :( :( still 3 more weeks before interview decisions are sent...

bsd_lover wrote:
You are absolutely correct. I am a member of this group and so are a few other MBA2011s. I also remember last year's group had a few people who did not end up matriculating. There is not much point over-analysing these numbers; you will never get the full picture. Admissions are tough even if you apply at R1 - doing probabilities to quantify uncertainty only serves as preparation for the Decisions Risk Analysis class.

undafry wrote:
Hi octopus2010,

I doubt there would be 122 admit decisions in round 1. Maybe the 122 members in the facebook group include current students and admission officers helping with the group discussions.

I think Dr. Manhattan or someone from Round 1 admit would be able to give us an exact number.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 14:19
Yup :) English is not my native language, although that is pretty standard here. English is native to maybe only 30-40% of the class. King's college language course can be taken as an elective (base tuition fees will cover this) or as an extra (you pay extra to King's college but you get to take an extra non language elective at LBS).

For my area of interest some advanced statistics is very useful. The only course that seems relevant is "Time series analysis" which is again not too advanced. Some of the Statistics might be bundled in one of the other advanced quantitative finance courses though. I will try to speak to someone from the MiF about this.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
bsd_lover,
Ah, so you're already sufficiently proficient in another language other than English?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the King's College language courses charged separate tuition? Is this true?

Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note while we're on the subject of courses, aside from Business Statistics (which is offered as a core course in the first year), and perhaps, to a lesser extent, the Decision Risk Analysis course, are there other electives which would give one an intermediate to somewhat advanced instruction in Statistics? I can't seem to find anything else in the Elective portfolio.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 14:50
I have a question for the R1 admits as well as those who are already attending.

Since LBS only has one admit weekend, what would you suggest as a strategy in using the admit weekend in determining whether or not to matriculate? Or a better question would be, should I use the admit weekend as a true litmus test for fit at all?

I ask this because, since LBS's admit weekend is very late in the game as opposed to the American weekends which hold one after every round, in order for me to to use this weekend as a factor in my decision, I would have to make my place holder deposit at essentially every school, before attending the weekend and make my decision. Depending how many schools I end up being admitted into, this could be quite the price I have to pay just to "visit" LBS.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 15:09
bsd_lover,

Interesting! For some reason, I thought you were from Australia or New Zealand, and naturally assumed you were a native English speaker.

I was told that MBA students take some classes with Masters of Finance students in certain concentrations. The Management Science and Operations concentration does have a Time Series Analysis and Forecasting class described as "...not [being]mathematically demanding...," but there's another comparable elective in the Masters in Finance portfolio, Time Series Analysis, Market Models and Forecasting which is listed as an "...advanced statistical course..."

It would be very nice if you were could ask a Masters of Finance student about the course, thanks for offering! Particularly, I'm interested to determine if there's a way to access that course, Time Series Analysis, Market Models and Forecasting , even though it's listed in the portion of the elective portfolio exclusive to Masters of Finance students. If this is not permitted for MBA elective recognition, it would at least be nice to audit it. Statistics is rather important to me too.

bsd_lover wrote:
Yup :) English is not my native language, although that is pretty standard here. English is native to maybe only 30-40% of the class. King's college language course can be taken as an elective (base tuition fees will cover this) or as an extra (you pay extra to King's college but you get to take an extra non language elective at LBS).

For my area of interest some advanced statistics is very useful. The only course that seems relevant is "Time series analysis" which is again not too advanced. Some of the Statistics might be bundled in one of the other advanced quantitative finance courses though. I will try to speak to someone from the MiF about this.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
bsd_lover,

Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 09:17
4 more days before calls are going out....tick tock tick tock :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford'11
Followers: 3

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 09:34
Frontline wrote:
ok i've reached my conclusion; THIS wait is the hardest part of the entire LBS app..

Hang on in there! :lol: Just another 3 days and 20 hours ...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 10:04
sure will do my friend! it's not like we have other options right now :)
i've just went -again- through several past threads reading the posts on the final decision days.. interesting drama! I like how you end up sympathizing with most other applicants and forgetting that they actually represent your competition. There's a psychological term for this phenomenon that i'm failing to remember right now (similar to the stockholm syndrome i guess).

on another note, any applicants from the middle east here?

a11c99 wrote:
Frontline wrote:
ok i've reached my conclusion; THIS wait is the hardest part of the entire LBS app..

Hang on in there! :lol: Just another 3 days and 20 hours ...
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 22:59
buenos dias everyone.

i was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about my question i posted.

your input would be much appreciated.

lakai777 wrote:

Since LBS only has one admit weekend, what would you suggest as a strategy in using the admit weekend in determining whether or not to matriculate? Or a better question would be, should I use the admit weekend as a true litmus test for fit at all?

I ask this because, since LBS's admit weekend is very late in the game as opposed to the American weekends which hold one after every round, in order for me to to use this weekend as a factor in my decision, I would have to make my place holder deposit at essentially every school, before attending the weekend and make my decision. Depending how many schools I end up being admitted into, this could be quite the price I have to pay just to "visit" LBS.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 09:44
Sorry, I don't understand how an admit w/end would help in deciding where to matriculate. I think that visiting the school (or better, attending a full Open Day), discussing with actual and past students (alumni), and considering financing factors and relative strengths/weaknesses of each school for your specific post-MBA plans, would be more relevant - at least that's I tried to do for each school.

lakai777 wrote:

[/quote]
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 10:14
I agree with a11c99. Talk to current students and alumni - best way to figure it out.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 12:10
a11c99 wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand how an admit w/end would help in deciding where to matriculate. I think that visiting the school (or better, attending a full Open Day), discussing with actual and past students (alumni), and considering financing factors and relative strengths/weaknesses of each school for your specific post-MBA plans, would be more relevant - at least that's I tried to do for each school.

thanks a11c99. i appreciate the response. i guess i'm confused. from what I understood, the admit weekend would be exactly what you described (discussing with actual students, learning more about the program, attending a mock class, etc). I know with the American programs, students use the Admit weekend to give it their final comparisons between their accepted programs, by interacting with the mix of accepted students and getting the final "feel" of the program by attending the scheduled events.

is this not true with LBS? Am I missing something here? Are you implying the LBS's admit weekend should not be used as a final way to measure fit and only used as a simple social event? I'm a little confused as to what you feel the admit weekend's function is if it isn't a way to help finalize whether a person decides whether or not to matriculate.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 13:28
Quote:
is this not true with LBS? Am I missing something here? Are you implying the LBS's admit weekend should not be used as a final way to measure fit and only used as a simple social event? I'm a little confused as to what you feel the admit weekend's function is if it isn't a way to help finalize whether a person decides whether or not to matriculate.

thanks lakai, just my 2 cents: from what I saw on LBS MBA TV, I think the admit' w/end is a lot more a socialize tool for the admits rather than a way to convince the undecided folks; at least for the fact it's placed way later after R1 and R2 (even R3).

Last edited by a11c99 on 22 Mar 2010, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 23:46
Thx everyone for your contribution to this great thread. Have learnt so much.

I am planning to apply for MBA2013.
At matriculation, I will be 29, married for 4 years and my child will be 1.
My undergrad was in london and I know how London (and b-school) has this very party-like atmosphere.
However, I am very much a family man now and I spend all my time outside work together with my wife i.e. no guys only nights
As a couple, we don't go drinking (outside) / clubbing anymore - but frequently enjoy meals with friends and having friends over at our place (to chat / have beers / play cards, rockband, etc.).

At LBS -
1. Would I have study group discussions in the library till 9 or 10pm? What is the norm?
2. Do students bring their partners and kids out for dinner / drinks together?
3. Overall, will I be a poor social fit for LBS?

Thx in advance!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 05:15
anyone biting their nails while waiting for the results this thursday?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, LBS, LBS

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 05:28
"Nails? What Nails?"

:)
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2010, 05:28